Assignment 6: Environmental Artist Due Mar 13

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Empty Assignment 6: Environmental Artist Due Mar 13

Post  Admin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:24 am

In preparation for the earth day project, research an artist who does work related to the environment. Use an artist who has shown work in at least one museum. (Don't write about your friend who posts really cool work on deviant art.)

In the first paragraph, describe their work as if you are describing it to someone who has never heard of them.
In the second paragraph, state your opinion about the work. Why did this artist catch your attention? What do you think they are trying to accomplish as an artist?

Edit - I didn't originally have this as a requirement, but I would like you to also link an image from the artist. Use the button to the right of the image upload button to link a picture that's already on the internet.

Grading:

1 point: First paragraph is factual and descriptive (and does not begin with your opinion).
1 point: Second paragraph has substance. If your opinion only includes a statement like "I think her work is really cool" you will not receive points in this category.
1 point: Style. Use complete sentences that are appropriate for an academic assignment. You will not receive points if you include phrases like "Yeah, so I ... um ... really liked this guy and can't really explain why. lol."

Last edited by Admin on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Empty Assignment 6: Environmental Artist Due Mar 13

Post  matthewd on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am

James Balog is a well known photographer and his work has been shown in more than a hundred museums and gallaries around the world. He specializes in the relationships between nature and humans. He has taken many pictures from endangered animals to old american forests and he has started the extreme ice survey to record global climate change on glaciers. He wants to shift the human understanding of who we are and how we should realize and relate to whats going on on this planet.

I think his photography is cool and unique the way he combines art with nature and science. I also think the way he doesnt just take pictures of whats going on with the evironment but he is also making a change himself and putting in alot of effort into helping the world.

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZvRqOjARvFASXnDFj5c4wO9NRsLsp0FGpqqaWXA03R6xqVjQDDg

matthewd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Empty Re: Assignment 6: Environmental Artist Due Mar 13

Post  LucusM on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 am

For this project, I researched an environmental artist named Andy Goldsworthy. His art work consists of many sculptures made from simple resources, such as sticks, leaves, flowers, mud, stones, etc. With these, he creates circular shaped sculptures made from stickes weaved together, mandalas made from stone or leaves/pedals, or sculptures made from trees.
His work is very cool to look at as he makes the most out of simple resourses. I love the mandalas that he makes because he uses the reflection of the water below to make a mirror image to complete them. I believe he is trying to show the beauty in nature and that we should leave it alone; you dont need to replace anything in nature just for the looks when it is already amazing.
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Andy_goldsworthy3
LucusM
LucusM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Empty Re: Assignment 6: Environmental Artist Due Mar 13

Post  CaitlinM on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Nils-Udo is a Bavarian photographer who has been working with nature since 1972. He used to just paint nature, but now he takes objects from nature and makes artwork out of it and creatively photographs it. He uses things he finds in a specific area, leaves, berries, sticks, water, plants growing, etc. Many of his pieces seemed like huge nests, weird plants, and beautiful nature scenes.

I really enjoy his work because not only did he just take a picture, but he also constructed whats going on. The huge bird nest for example, he had to have made that. I also really enjoyed a specific piece of his with a little kid laying in what looked to be a circle of plants on water. Which again, resembles a birds nest to me at least... I feel like he likes birds nests a lot.
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Nils-udo-2
CaitlinM
CaitlinM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  richardv on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Simon Norfolk is a Landscape photographer known for taking photos of old, burnt out objects buildings, planes, stairs...ETC. He is shown in many museums around the world. He mostly works on worn down objects on a nice skyline to show how bad it can actually get.

I like his artwork because I think it's cool the way he can combine something so bad with something so good. He also doesn't just take pictures of something beautiful he actually shows what other places are like and what conditions the have to live in.

richardv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominiqueb on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Jacque Cousteau was a man on a mission. He wanted people to be aware of the harm we are causing the planet, pn the living creatures. He and his team set out on a journey to explore the world, and to document the pollution we have done. He was a film maker, and a photographer. His love for animals and, life in general, pushed him to do this. At the end of his journey, he and his team ended up with about 1,200 photos, resulting in one of the biggest underwter collection. He even has had some work in the magizine, National Geographic. In 1977, the United Nations even awarded him with the International Enviornmental Prize, and several other honorable awards after that. His passion for the wildlife really showed in his work.

I liked his work because his passion showed. You could tell he really cared, or at least I could. I think it is great when someone is this passionate about something. He was really dedicated, and his work was beautiful. He really captured the beauty of the world just below the water. He made it seem important, like it is.
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Untitled-image1-e1323685227984

Dominiqueb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EricF on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 am

Agnes Denes is not only an Environmental Artists, But also a poet, philosophy writer among other things. She is mostly know for her photo Wheatfield: A Confrontation Which is a photo of an area in Lower Manhattan where she planted wheat to grow. The work grew 1,000 pounds of wheat and was used in the tour of The International Art Show for the End of World Hunger. Her work often has commentary on Human values and priority's.
In my opinion i find the work to be great in a sense instead of a photo or she actually grew the wheat and let it speak for itself in person. Instead of making a collage or photoshoping wheat onto an area (Despite the fact this photo was taken in 1982) She showed people in person and in real life.
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 77592.png

EricF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HealyG on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 am

Healy Grant
3/12/13
Multimedia.

The photographer I researched for this assignment is Peter Essich, a Freelance photographer whose main themes are Abstractions, Environment, Landscapes, and Seascapes. I happened upon him while searching for a photographer whose main themes seemed to be similar in a way to my own. One of his pictures pertaining to nuclear waste effects won first prize at the World Press Photos held in Amsterdam. In comparison, I enjoy taking photos of nature with no humans visible, but where you can see their impact on the environment, like the bicycle tire I found interwoven in the weeds after years of neglect. He is currently working for National Geographic and has published over 30 stories with them, and was featured in Time magazine’s top 100 photographers of National Geographic! The pictures in National Geographic are so well framed, and the fact that the artists get to go to all these exotic places to capture them makes a dream job one can only hope for. Some locally displayed artwork of his was the “Thy Brothers’ Keeper” exhibition at the Flint Institute of the Arts, Michigan in 2009. In Italy there was the “Photography, Man and the Environment” exhibition, held in Viterbo. He has also had his work incorporated into the movie, “An Inconvenient Truth.”

I believe that with Peter Essick’s work, he has successfully shown the effects of humans on the environment, and how simply beautiful the environment is and of itself in a better way than our words can convey. Having his pictures in National Geographic also demonstrates that Essick wants not only to show, but to inform as well. With every picture in a National Geographic magazine there is a description to go with it. In his work there is continuity for each category, in Abstractions it shows an amazing foreground, and background that pops out at you. In Environmental, he repeats an object left by humans. His Landscapes and Seascapes are pictures taken at sunrise or sunset, except for the Gulf Oil Spill seascapes. Those were taken at midday to add a sick yellow tint to the sky and water. It is interesting how the use of color can influence public opinion!

Even before I was born, there was always a new National Geographic coming in the mail each month. My little sister and I would be so happy when it came so we could look at all the “pretty pictures of caves and dig sites.” I’ve grown up reading them and while I was researching for this paper I saw it in Peter Essick’s description: works in National Geographic, and as I saw more and more of his work, and even recognized some pieces, I realized that I liked them and remembered the stories that have accompanied them. I’ve always enjoyed good nature photography, and it appears that my earliest inspirations likely came from some of Essick’s work.
Bibliography

"Peter Essick Featured In The AJC." Lumiere Fine Art Photography Gallery RSS. Lmiere, 2013. Web. 12 Mar. 2013.

Belvalkar, Mrunal. "Famous Nature Photgraphers." Buzzle.com. Buzzle.com, 13 Dec. 2011. Web. 12 Mar. 2013.

"Peter Essick." National Geographic. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2013.
-This Biography is in MLA format, sorry if you prefer ELA, heading is in ELA though.

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Peter_Essick_Sinkhole-Near-Bowling-Green-Kentucky-1996
HealyG
HealyG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  andrea.p on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 am

The artist I picked for the “earth day,” type of artist is, Jean Paul Ganem. He works a lot with landscapes, adding color and composition to all of his work. He truly commits to all of his work putting different twists on landscapes. From landfills to crop land he has a different approach to natures land. He says, “Each garden is also a recipe,” meaning you can always change the recipe.

In my opinion I respect his work a lot. You can tell he has a great passion for what he does. His art is so interesting because of the colors and the sheer size of the land he works with. As an artist I think he just trying to convey the true beauty of nature in its best form. He executes his work beautifully it’s almost a unreal looking scene once it’s finished. Using geometry on such a large scale to make everything so precise is hard work, but the finished product is flawlessly done.

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Ganem_aux1

andrea.p

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EmK on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 am

Nils-Udo is an environmental, all natural, artist whose inspiration bases on the movement of water. Most of his works are considered as “potential utopias”. Udo has been working with nature as art since 1972. He gradually turned away from painting the beautiful sites of nature to constructing pieces without using paint, canvas, or paint brushes. Mostly uses, now a day, found berries, twigs, leaves, and the growth of plants. It’s a world of colorful mounds, giant nest, and dreamy days in the forest. Nature is the source of inspiration for Nils-Udo. His latest work of art is called “Summer in the Park” which features berries and grass stalks in a circular motion on water…
The nature of art I find is densely interesting to see. Personally, I think Nils-Udo’s art is fantastic. It takes a lot of time and effort to make such wonderful pieces of art like his. How he only uses natural sources for the sculptures amazes me. It gives a positive feeling to make something that is from the earth itself and nothing added to it that isn’t from nature. Nils-Udo is a terrific artist, who I definitely recommend to look into.

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQojPgR8pTE7IJau73TUX3KJsTeI5pF-kVgu2X1kI2kI3x8zRLDGA
EmK
EmK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassidym on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:09 am

Gary Braash is a well known photographer/journalist specializing in documenting the effects and solutions to global warming. In his 11 years of work documenting global warming, his work has appeared in Time magazine, Smithsonian, National Geographic, and many others. Gary Braash is also the founder of World View of Global Warming, an organization documenting causes, effects, and solutions to changes in climate. Gary's book "Earth Under Fire: How Global Warming is Changing the World" was recently published and was deemed a New York Time's best seller. If that's not enough to impress you, maybe the fact that on top of everything else, he also has an Ansel Adams Award is enough.
Gary Braash's most recent piece of work, popular among younger indiviuals, is an Ipad app. This app, titled "Painting with time: Climate Change" is a touching depiction of the appearance of glaciers from 50+ years ago, compared to their appearance today. It was really enough to get me thinking about what I could do to help, WorldViewofGlobalWarming.org surely answered that question for me, I strongly suggest you check it out.

Cassidym

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jakejohnson on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:57 am

My "Earth Day" artist I read up about is Brenda Carter, She was born in Merrickville, Ontario Canada . She is an award winning painter of Canada's natural wild life.
she tracks birds and mammals from around the world. Her experiences give great energy and life to her painting.
She is also the first woman to receive both "Duck's Unlimited" and "Wildlife Habitat Canada Waterfowl Art Awards".
Shes spent 30 years into her studys, Tracking, and Form. She has 514 recorded field studies on North American birds.
At the Hilton Leach school of arts and the Ringling school of Arts, She studied.

In 1964, She worked as an artist for the Canadian Museum of Nature and the Canadian Wildlife Service.
She has traveled extensively throughout the world; the Arctic, Antarctic, Africa, the U.K., the Galapagos Islands, as well as Central and South America.
Her painting were a reflection on a deeply personal knowledge of the world that she painted.

jakejohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kristenv on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Keith Thompson isn't the usual nature artist, like one who only takes pictures. He is an artist who hand draws his work, and because of the amazing detail he gives to each piece, his work is used in two museums and multiple books and video games. His art isn't just about nature, like an image of a landscape, or animals. He likes to focus on the future, and most of his work is how humans could effect nature in the future. He see's the world from many point of view, and his art reflects that greatly. His style of art is usually very morbid, and he's not shy to show graphic images to get his point across or make an impact. I think the graphic style works very well, however, and helps give the viewer a full idea of what could happen to the world if we don't shape up. One of his works, The Nuked Moose, shows an amazing example of what war does to not only the enemy, but to everything around the destruction, like nature and animals.

Keith Thompson is my favorite artist, hands down. Just his style of art really catches my eye and makes me think. It makes me think about the true state of our world, and our influence to all that surrounds us. Most of his work is jaw dropping, and all together, has let me see the earth in a new light. It has given me someone's else point of view about how the earth is being treated by us, and is steadily getting destroyed by. But not all of his work instills despair and anger in you; some also give you hope. Hope that the human race won't destroy all the beauty that is nature. And that, I think, says more than anyone could ever say or do, and why he is my favorite artist.
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Moose

Last edited by kristenv on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

kristenv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michaelk1 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Lindsay Way is 2D and 3D artist born in Dunoon Scotland, at a young age she began making 3D sculptures with recycled paper that her mother brought home from her Job as a flight attendant. Lindsay's latest exhibit HUSH is a series of 13 dioramas made from recycled paper. Lindsay's art work is influenced by cultures around the world that she has experienced while touring with her band mindless self indulgence. Lindsay also attended Prat institute of art, while she was there she picked up jobs creating seasonal displays made out of recycled objects.

However Lindsay's art managed to catch my attention when I saw her piece "Miss me a little but not for long" which was influenced by Dia De Los Muertos (Day Of The Dead). However since I was young I have always been fascinated by the holiday.The reason that I like Lindsay's art so much is because I am able to relate to and really see how it relates to culture and events that happened around the world. Additionally I think Lindsay is trying to show how cultures around the world are different through her art.

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_-78zXVWX1ylMIpmNgJrPuKrklNzE6Ii_pKDr-pCeOi2R4KUzKQ

Michaelk1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jackhthomas on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:19 am

Josh Keyes is an American contemporary artist who currently works in Portland, Oregon. His paintings are somewhat satirical, often depicting textbook-like illustrations of wild animals in human habitats. His work expresses a concern for modern times and the future and well-being of the Earth.
I have to say, I really like his work. His paintings are visually interesting, and I love how he creates somewhat post-apocalyptic environments with a bit of surrealism. It reminds me of the overpopulated deer family that lives in my neighborhood, and how out of place they look in a suburban setting.
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 NAP%20Tangled%20II

jackhthomas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MelissaK on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:33 am

Ansel Adams started out with a passion for music but his love of nature changed his mind. His parents gave him his first camera to take pictures at The Sierra Club, where he found his love for nature photography. Adams switch from music didn’t come fast, but after meeting Albert M. Bender he published his first portfolio. The year Adams published his portfolio he met photographer Paul Strand who changed his view of photography. Adams went from pictorial photography to straight photography.

Ansel Adams uses straight photography. I think his pictures are interesting because they’re just the beauty of the thing in the picture. His pictures are mostly black and whit. I think a black and white picture is cool in a way because you know what colors the things in the picture should be, but you can imagine any color you want and just let your mind wonder. His pictures show the beauty of nature, witch I think is a good idea because sometimes you just need something pretty.

http://www.anseladams.com/ansel-adams-information/ansel-adams-biography/

Last edited by MelissaK on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
MelissaK
MelissaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaileyM on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 am

Zoltán Baloghv is an excellent photographer from Hungary. during his work he always assimilates with the environment. He has had many publishings in magazines, exhibitions, books in Hungary and around the world.
This is some of his work: http://www.591photography.com/2012/02/zoltan-balogh-first-part-living-on-edge.html
http://www.dphotographer.co.uk/user/ZoltanBalogh
I chose him because I find his work inspiring. You can find a lot of meaning behind his shots.
He isn't JUST an environmental artist, but he does a lot of environmental shots.

KaileyM
KaileyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cassidys on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:11 am

For this project I researched the photographer, teacher, and writer, Munem Wasif. Wasif was born and raised in Bangladeshi. Most of his works are dark, close up photos of poverty and what it has done to the area. Almost all of his photographs are monochromatic and have a dark essences about them. You will often see close ups of faces and area of poverty.

To me, Wasif is a genius. His work makes a point. It stands for something. He tries to show society what is happening around the world, trying to get peoples attention and help. The faces in his work can bring tears to your eyes because you experience the pain and hardship just by looking at his photos. Munem Wasif is not just another environmental artist, he is a push towards world recovery.
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Munem-10
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Munem210

cassidys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikiyabi on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:17 am

For this project, researched a environmental artist named Ned Khan. His art work is exploring beauty of nature such as Fog, Wind, Fire, Sand, and Water. So thinks the world can be a beautiful place if people just kept it up. He uses his skills to sculpt Fog, Wind, Fire etc and brings it to the public and installs it in buildings, galleries, and science museums worldwide. He looks at his work as a reminder to people of how beautiful nature is...

I think his work is really good. I understand where he is coming from trying put all this in people's heads. Trying to make people realize how awful certain parts of this world looks. Make people love the environment. You don't have to love the people in it.
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Quantum-Wave-400

Nikiyabi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Empty salvation mountain

Post  jakejohnson on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Salvation Mountain is an art work covering a hill north of Calipatria, California.
It is made from adobe, straw, and thousands of gallons of paint. It was created by local resident "Leonard Knight".
It requires constant maintenance due to the harsh surrounding environment.
It was also in part of the film "Into The Wild".
He was 54 starting the Mountain, Now he is 81 and in bad shape for all the years working and living in the desert.
Leonard Knight was born on November 1, 1931 just outside of Burlington, Vermont.
Leonard was drafted into the United States Army at the age of 20, With the Korean War going on. He also seen this as a way to see the world.
After an Honorable Discharge from the Army, Leonard returned to Vermont and went to work at a car dealership in their body shop.
He taught himself to play the guitar and began giving lessons to whomever would pay him. Eventually, he had so many students, that many times a day he would travel from one students house to the next (yes, he went to their house) for 12 straight hours giving lessons.

He gave time to others and time to the Lord. Thank you Leonard Knight.

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQWoSa3tEwiguU4L8L-KyCWcDAYGQV5529bgqL_ZEZzpcAmvuJ6gAssignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Salvation+Mountain+Man+Made+Mountain+-+Slab+City+(10)

jakejohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Empty Andy Goldworthy.

Post  cameryno on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Andy Goldsworthy is a British Artist that only uses natural resources for his art work. He uses leaves, rocks, twigs, icicles, pinecones and flowers, and uses thorns, his own saliva, snow, mud and dirt as a bonding substance for his creations. The only tools he use are his own hands and teeth. As his work begins to disappear and decay, he photograph’s them to keep track of them. While creating these pieces, drastic changes in weather and land don’t affect the process of creation. For instance, if rain were to wash out soil or dirt he was using, he’d just find another way to use nature for the area he’s working in.

Goldsworthy’s work reminds me a lot of the Mandela projects we did, and similar to Chris Jordan’s work, only without the Photo Editing. His work also has a lot of simple, rhythmic patterns. I really like the way he uses all natural substances and doesn’t change them at all, and then just lets his projects naturally fade away and decompose. I also like how his art work is 100% eco friendly.

Here is a link to a piece of his art work: Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Goldsworthy-ice_ball_2

Last edited by melanien on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
cameryno
cameryno

Location : the elephant emoji is my trademark so stop versaciversaciversaciversaciversaciversaciversaciversaciversaciversaciversaci

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChristopherS on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Mike MacDonald creates video installations and unique gardens to help draw attention to environmental and social issues. Mike creates gardens and have specific flowers that attract butterflies. The butterflies are what i think he likes most of it all. MacDonald creates gardens in urban settings as a medium for healing and increasing consciousness.
He caught my attention with the picture i saw. MacDonald also works with video and creates contemplative indoor installations which explore the tension between electronic and organic media. I think he's just trying to make a name for himself.
Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Mikema10

ChristopherS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AaliyahH on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 am

Nils-Udo has been working with nature art since 1972, his great work has been presented all over the world from Europe, Japan, Israel, India, and Mexico. Nils creates work using all types of material found in the environment such as, sticks, leaves, berries,moving water, and plants. Nils-Udo's work can be described as "entrancing and mysterious."
In my opinion Nils-Udo is an eye catching artist. He works well with nature, and you can tell that he is passionate about environmental art. This artist has caught my attention because of the way he can capture a picture using the resources around him. I think Nils's is trying to show that you can be inspired by something as simple as nature,which is a goal i think he has already accomplished.

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Nils-u10

AaliyahH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WilliamVA on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:47 am

An Bavarian artist, Nils-Udo has been working with environmental art for over 30 years. He began his work as a painter of traditional surfaces in Paris. As his work started to photograph them, his practice oscillates between urban, planned instillation, and use of materials found in nature.

Assignment 6: Environmental Artist  Due Mar 13 Mirorleaves7
WilliamVA
WilliamVA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next