Assignment 9: Book design discussion Due Oct 7

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 9: Book design discussion Due Oct 7

Post  Admin on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:51 am

Find a book cover design with especially intriguing or pleasing designs. Use one that has not been posted to this thread before your answer. You may want to post your image to "claim" it, then go back and edit your post to complete the assignment.

Embed the image so it is visible in your reply without having to click a separate link to get to it. Describe the memorable elements of the design. Be specific about the colors, composition, concept, etc. ("I just think it looks really cool" is not an acceptable style of answer. Think about how you would describe it to another person who hasn't seen it.)

Grading: 3 points possible.
3 points = (You got it!) Describes cover well, uses relevant details from your chosen design to support your answer, stays on topic.

2 points = (Almost there) Answer is relevant but has few details to support or explain the answer.

1 points = Ideas and content are not developed or connected.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 9: Book design discussion Due Oct 7

Post  andrewi on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:04 am

this year book cover is memorable to me because it integrates so many different activities like music, art, and food. it also has a well use of colors and shapes integrated in a graffiti style of art with a good contrast of the colors in such a motion which makes it very memorable to me.

Last edited by andrewi on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 am; edited 2 times in total
andrewi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JewelsK on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:05 am

The title of this book is "A Light in the Attic" the picture on the front of this cover is of a child's face/head that turns into what looks like the top of a house, indicating an attic as in the title. This book cover is in black font and white background and is not too complex, it is fairly plain besides the fact of the title and the illustration of a child printed largely on the front. I think what makes this cover memorable is how the title relates to what the illustration is, and you can infer it in your own way.

Last edited by JewelsK on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

JewelsK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CaseyF on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:06 am

I like this design because of the simplicity of it. It has an implication of a love story, but it doesn't have to be. I also like the way that the characters look like they've been drawn, as well as how the drawing is incorporated into the title itself.

Last edited by CaseyF on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
CaseyF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  samanthas on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:08 am

This book cover is memorable because of the way the bright colors on the dark background offer an eye catching design without being too bright and still keeping a simple style. Using a simple text makes the cover focused on the main point which is the flower. Also the main point being a simple flower makes the simple style all flow together

Last edited by samanthas on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

samanthas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alaynas on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:09 am

The cover is dramatic enough to draw in attention without telling you much of the story. It creates interest and makes you compelled to look for more. The story is still well represented by a single shot and a simple title.

Last edited by alaynas on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
alaynas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ianm on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 am

The complimentary colors, solid lines, and simple style make this cover memorable.

ianm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katieb on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 am

The fire design is placed nicely and represents the dauntless, when she placed her hand over the coals.
It also shows the city were it takes place.
Cons:
If you didn't read or watch the movie you won't understand what the cover represents.
Also the font looks like something from powerpoint but I understand what they are trying to represent( the division in society.)

katieb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lindsayf on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:13 am

[url=http://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=85&u=18521934][

That this book cover explains the story and what is happening in it and how charaters intervene.

lindsayf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwendolyn on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 am

This cover design shows analogous colors such as red, purples, and blues. It also uses black as a base color. The title, "Collapse" is in red font which brings attention to the main part of the picture. The rest of the font is in white such as the name of the author, "Richard Stephenson" and the summary. The white font makes the important information stand out. Also, the cover picture draws you in because it has destruction of a building and the city looks as if it is on fire. The other part of the title "America Will Fall" tells you that the story has to do with the country collapsing.

Gwendolyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  briannah on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:20 am

This cover is great because it's easy and simple to read. The text is not hard to read and the black contrasts well with the yellow background. The text also goes with the theme of the cover; the wild west. Bordering the text is a lot of detail to "make up" for the boring text. It's easy on the eye; there's not much clutter on the text and the background is pretty interesting. You definitely know what the book is about (or at least the time period) even if you didn't read the text.
briannah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DakotaHaba on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:21 am

Pros:
The Colors Pop The background of the cover design looks good and all necessary info is given

Cons:
The middle where it says the school name looks a bit off it may be the color that doesn't fit and the 2011 has a weird effect to the "11"

DakotaHaba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  avih on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 am

I really like this book cover because there is a large amount of detail put into it. You can even see the windows of the building, the hills of the landscape, and the pains of glass in the lamps. I have read this book and I got a very Victorian/dark and whimsical, feel from it. The book cover does a good job of conveying that feel. The color scheme of the cover is good too. There is a subtle contrast of colors with the green landscape and the orange sunset.
The cover of this book is what got me to pick it up and look at it and now it's my favorite book series. I would highly advise that you read it too.
avih

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JustineM on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:33 am

The City of Ember
The reason I like this book cover is that it is pleasing to the eye and simple. If you read the book, then you would also get the symbolism it shows. Also the colors are nicely put together. Like the yellow and orange blending into the brown background. I also like how the lightbulb holds one of the words and it flows with the filament.
JustineM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tannerj on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:51 am

I like this cover a lot, more or less because of the simplicity factor it is. Just about everything in the picture works well. This book is about how this guy lost everything. His house, his job and even his wife. And is then forced to move back with his parents. I think that this cover shows a lot of that in it.
The colors in this are light and subtle, which really makes it work and more noticeable in my opinion. Along with the houses, the street and the people on the horizon.
tannerj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan a on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:21 am

it's an issue of a batman comic book, issue 251 and it has a giant version of the joker standing over gotham holding a giant playing card with batman glued on the playing card trying to get free with joker laughing maniacally with a subtitle on the bottom saying " Look out Gotham! The Joker's back in town! It's one of the most iconic batman comic covers of all time.
jordan a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaram on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:26 am

Long Way Home's cover has a surreal blend of different colors that grabs your attention. You can see, just from the cover, who the main character is. You can also think of possible foreshadowing from the surroundings, especially near the top of the comic's cover.
The blending of the covers, however, appears to take it all away simply due to how attention grabbing it is. It's puts together two completely opposite colors at two ends, and slowly merges them in towards the center, a rather interesting way of creating an unusual and surreal intro to a story.
jaram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaylaMc on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:41 am

This is the Marvel comic cover of Big Hero 6 volume 1.

The cover shows all 6 of the main characters on the team Hiro, GoGo Tomago, Honey Lemon, Wasabi, Baymax, and Fred. It shows a Japanese theme in on the cover to show that its taking place in Japan. The title says Big Hero 6 but also in Japanese and in the background it has Japan's WW2 flag showing that it took place back at that time.
KaylaMc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganCa on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:21 am

This cover is memorable to me because of the colors and the scene. The way the colors flow through the boys body but also matches his skin color really catches my attention. The blue on the lower part of the cover merges from blue to green to yellow. Just as it would if you mixed blue and yellow together. The way the buildings are set up under the boy kind of seems like he's watching over the city. The artist makes it seem like the boy is a God. If you read the book it goes along with the boys ego. The title is in a different font than the author name and the series name to make it stand out more. I really like how the cover goes along with the story line, but of course you would have to read it to figure that out.

MorganCa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tedij on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:32 am

Paper Towns
This book cover is so simple and yet has a decent amount of complementary colors.  The background is a simple map with off-white and green, not saying where, but in the middle of the map is a red road, and on the road, is a large red thumbtack is tacked down.
tedij

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffreyX on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:10 am

" />

The cover of The Da Vinci Code is my favorite cover. It is excellent in with how it shows just enough to make someone want to pick it up, but not enough for them to know exactly how everything would play out. This cover shows Leonard Da Vinci's most famous picture, The Mona Lisa, cropped in a hidden and secretive fashion, showing the mystery element in the book.
JeffreyX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mackenziek on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:36 am

I like the cover of this book because it describes the protagonist perfectly. It shows him wearing an expensive suit, so it is evident he is wealthy. The bottom half of his face is shown as being handsome. However the top of his head looks skinned. This indicates that there is something wrong within his mind, something that cannot be seen on the outside.
mackenziek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  avab on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:48 am

I really like this book cover because it has a really simple but aesthetically pleasing complementary color scheme that draws your eye in. It incorporates a severe part of the story into the cover, and it has a playful feel to it. I like the slanting and the placement of the title as well. I think this book cover could draw in all types of audiences.

avab

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top