Assignment 9: Waking Life reaction due Tues Oct 14

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 9: Waking Life reaction due Tues Oct 14

Post  Admin on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:20 am

After watching the movie Waking Life, discuss why the people who made it used animation rather than using film of real people. Have at least 3 examples from the film of how animation enhanced the movie.

Grading: 3 points total:
2 points: Description and short analysis or reaction to three examples of animation from the movie.
1 point: Overall essay format. Make sure you include an intro, a conclusion, and use proper academic spelling and grammar. Aim for 5 short paragraphs - the intro, one for each example, and the conclusion.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

waking life

Post  maxmassad on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:42 am

In the movie waking life there are many themes and side stories going on. There are theories on life and characters that all have different views on the world and our society.

Animation throughout the story helped show what the speaker was inivisioning. There were points when there was unclear points, the animations helped show these and make them art. The words and views of the people with animation was shown as art rather than just people talking.

In the beginning, a college man is seen at a waiting stop for a cab. He ends up riding in another manís car/boat. This man shows up later in the story, and is shown differently. After the college man gets out of the car/boat, he gets hit by a car and then wakes up from a dream. The college man is shown with many different people in short periods of time just listening to their views on life and society.

After all of these people and listening to them he keeps waking up in a dream. This dream is known as a lucid dream. There is a man in the dream and other characters that even share their thoughts on these types of dreams. One man says to try different things like switching the light and to see if the numbers on the digital clock are still. Another man later in the story tells on how his dreams were very life changing. He also has a theory that possibly when we dream we are in a realm getting only a short glimpse of a different world almost.

The college man has gone through many peopleís opinions and views at the point where he just wants to get out of the dream. Everything he tries doesnít work. He gets frustrated and wants an end. Then in the end of the movie he wakes up to a still alarm clock and walks out on a normal day. Until, he starts floating like he could earlier in his dreams.

The conclusion of the story is that there are many different ways to look at life, but no matter what you can still dream and do anything. You can be negative or positive but there is a sneak peak to something in a different part of reality at the end of a day.

Last edited by maxmassad on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxmassad

View user profile http://stalkmeidareyou.com

Back to top Go down

Waking Life Assignment

Post  David E on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:43 am

In the film Waking Life, the main character is stuck in a dream. Whenever he wakes up from the dream, he finds himself in another dream. Then, later on, he finds out that he is probably dead. Before he found out he was dead, he listened to alot of people talk to him about knowledge and such, how people act. He hadn't ever heard any of it before he had dreamed about it.

I believe that the creators made it animated because it showed the main character's perspective. They could show what he was thinking, what he was seeing while the chartacters where talking, and how he had looked at them. If it had not been animated, none of his thoughts would have been recognized by the viewers.

Another reason they made it animated was mayber so the creators could show off their skills an animators, not just cameramen and editors. They wanted to go the extra mile and have a bigger challenge. I give them props for all the work thay did to make a good film.

Another reason they might have animated it was maybe because the man's dreams are animated like that and he saw everything like we did. It wasn't just their faces getting bigger not animated, but it was actually animated in his mind. That is my favorite of the three.

That's what I think of the movie, it was nice to watch and there was just a moment where you understood the whole thing, and it's nice to figure things like that out. I really enjoyed the movie, it was a nice time to just relax and watch it. Very Happy - David Eash
David E

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waking Life

Post  hailey claes on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:46 am

The prominent usage of animation in Waking Life helped to really flesh out the subconscious thinking of each individual character, and the main characters perception of each moment. I like this a lot because it really adds on to what you perceive and what the main character does. His view of reality troubles him and therefore leaves a questionable statement, whats real and whats not? That's why every animation seems different, as both in real life and in dreams everything seems a little different depending on the environment. You can see this when the character wakes up from the 'dream' at numerous occasions. The animation is both similar, and different.

†In using animation, you seem to see more, every little detail. The goal was to both take in the words each spoke, but also absorb the art. Although both were distracting in equally distributive ways, it was a bit messy. Yet, that just adds to the main characters distorted perception and loss of control. It was very unexpected that at the end of the movie it was all a dream. (Or so it seemed.) When the characters went over that, it really was obvious that the main character was out of it. Certain mannerisms and actions contributed to the fact it was a dream, such as the light switch scenario.

†This was something new in the land of films, as I presume due to being early in the millennium, that Photoshop had not been so frequently used in movies. At least, the animation form. This, as well as the dialogue, reeled viewers in, leaving many questions at the end of the movie. This was obvious because in some of the animation, it seemed some of the animators didn't know how to piece things together. Whether it was for effect or not, this was obvious when the characters were walking, and the background environment was all jumbled.

†Although I am not quite sure of this, it seemed that the pen tool wasn't the only tool used in the animating. I say this because some of it seemed more blotchy than others, or like it was done with watercolor. This may just be the animators favored style, and so they had perfected the art of the pen tool more so then others, but I am not entirely sure. The different styles definitely contribute to the idea of the different perceptions of each character.

†Finally, all in all, I think animation definitely helped to piece together the movie well. It just wouldn't be the same without the art. I think this movie was very important in two ways; In improving your sense of the pen tool, and helping to understand society a little bit more. Both are very useful to learn in a digital imaging class, as well as high school. I, personally, enjoyed the motion picture.
flower
hailey claes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waking Life

Post  brittanybest44 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:48 am

I think they made this animated to kind of show a little creativity. Instead of using real actors and actual film, they wanted to give out an example for using photoshop and animation, in an actual film. For example the way the eyes moved because of the animation, you could tell they used the pen tool. Also the way the mouths moved, they would have had to use the move tool repeatedly to mouth along the words the actor was saying. One other thing i noticed about the animation was the way they would lift the actors off the ground to make an animation of the people getting lifted off the ground. i thought this was interesting because you never see any films that are made with real actors and edited with photoshop like this one, it's very unique and you don't see a lot of people actually take the time to do this. It takes a lot of work to even make an animated picture, let alone an entire film. so this was a great idea.
brittanybest44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reaction to waking life

Post  Josh.B on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:48 am

The movie waking life uses animation to paint a more obscure picture of the characters and the settings. Evidence of this is most of the dream segments along with the death aspect.
One example of the obscurity is when in the first third of the movie the professor character's forehead grows and shrinks. This makes you focus on the forehead while he speaks about freewill and mental power.
Another way the movie is enhanced with animation is when the women is explaining the concept of that scene. The movie uses pictures to show you the concept she is discussing. Without these helpful pictures some people may not quiet understand the concept.
Finally the overall feel of the movie is enhanced by the fact that scenes have almost fluid feel to them. With this felling of the scenes you can imagine that he really is stuck in this dream world.
These are some reasons why the movie was enhanced by animations, if this movie was completely live action then most of the effects would seem out of place and useless.
Josh.B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waking Life Response

Post  jacobw on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:51 am

Waking Life
by
Jacob Wilson

This animated movie was kind of silly. This movie was completely done using photo shop. There were lots of animated people that were talking about their dreams. Sometimes it was difficult to decide if the movie was real or a dream, until the unusual things would happen, like the boy started to float away.
The colors in this movie stuck out in my mind. The colors used to animate the movie were not real bright, but sort of neutral tones, or similar in color. The detail of the images were generalized, a bit vague, lacking in detail. This added to movie by making the viewer concentrate on the dialog (talking) more than the images.
The characters were talking about their dreams a lot of the time. How their dreams and real life were in some cases, very similar. Or how real life mirrors dreams, or the other way around.
For most of the movie, the characters were just talking to one another. Not a lot of action, or visual scenes outside the characters faces and bodies. The images of the characters were what was most important in this movie. It was about talking and people being together with one another discussing their lives and dreams with one another.
The movie was good. I liked the way the creators used photo shop to animate the movie. It helped make the movie better in my opinion. I enjoy animate movies, cartoons and graphic novels, and this movie was good.

jacobw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 9: Waking Life reaction due Tues Oct 14

Post  Giovanni on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:14 pm

I think they use the animation like that so they can bring out the movie me myself ill pick an animated movie over a real movie any day just because ill be glued in like i was during the Walking Life. Here are a few reason why i like the movie "Walking Life " or animated movies period.

They used animation people instead of real people to be more creative about whats going on. And to have you pay more attention to the movie like so you can actually see the movement. Like when he was in his room how the closet and the things in the background were moving. Also when the bed moving up and down when he woke up.

Or when the man was driving down the street talking through the microphone and his windows were moving and his speakers were wiggling around as he hit bumps and drove down hills. When the car was moving as he walks through the house. Then when he had flew away from his dream.

Another reason i think they used animation instead of real life or film because i guessed they wanted to be different then other directors. Like a real movie the clouds would not move as much. But in this movie the clouds moved around a lot like clouds should in real life.

And these are a few reasons why i like animated movies. And a few examples why animated movies are sometimes better then real movies and film movies
Giovanni

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ej Dumas on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 pm

The movie "waking Life" had its idea's and philosophies from a concept of dreaming, which is relatively never used in daily life but comprehended by the way think and reflect on last night's slumber, besides its out "there" idea's its graphics were unlike any movie of it's type, it was animated but with the use of actors too, it's idea gathered peoples imaginations and emphasized the way it brought the movie and presented it in a way that had a uniqueness about it, that cant be seen anywhere else... "waking Life" also brings it watchers into a very vivid and dynamic dream world that's very colorful of peoples idealism's and beliefs which are mostly on the constant thought of memories and dreams. most of the movie was based on motivational and philosopher speaking on the main topics, as the movie progressed it showed it's true colors in seriousness and humorous ways to pull in the movie watcher for an experience that can be mind boggling!

Last edited by Ej Dumas on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ej Dumas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waking Life

Post  ellie5 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:44 pm

In the movie Waking Life there are many different ideas and perspectives that we visit. There are different theories of Ďwhat is lifeí and we saw many different ways people dealt with life.
† †In using animation over the film they where able to show how each person saw a part of the film in their own style. It allowed for some room with creativity and free expression. Also, it allowed for emotions and feeling to transfer through the color changes.
† †The film itself was very interesting. It posed many question in which I had never thought to ask. For instance was life just one big dream? Or what are we really meant to be doing here on earth. The animating fluctuated from smooth realistic images to choppy simple ones to express how the artist was feeling at the time of the animation.
† †The animation allowed for colors that you would not normally be able to use in certain settings. For instance when the man was talk rapping and he was completely changing color. This was a nice effect for the changing mood as he walked and talked.
† †In conclusion this movie had itís ups and downs but the hard work put behind it made it an amazing piece.
ellie5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amberc on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:46 pm

In the movie Waking Life, there were many ways of how it differed from an average film. A few of examples are how the animation made the film differ are, it expressed and showed a clear thought of thoughts, the animation helped connect the puzzle pieces in the film, and that it expressed emotions easier.

In the film Waking Life, it used metaphoric language and having the animation really helped a person watching it understand more. When an old man was talking in the movie his head would get bigger as he got more excited about his theory then when he calmed down it became normal, but when he had a doubt it got small. The animation truly helped with understanding metaphoric language.

The movie was very confusing in the firs hour, it kept transitioning from scene to scene and it was almost like puzzle pieces. An example is that it went from a main character to a couple lying in bed talking about their own theories of life. As the movie progressed you slowly kept putting them together. If it was an average movie I would have been stuck, the animation helped guide the watchers through the puzzle and solve it.

Many expressions where expressed in the film. The animation truly helped watchers understand why and what the characters were feeling. In the movie a man talked about life then doused himself in gasoline and lit himself on fire, it was confusing but you got a strong feeling of emotion.

In the end the movie Waking Life was a very abstract movie and something Iíd recommend to people. The animation was amazing and expressed so many feelings. I know I will never forget it. It helps understand many things in life and why they happen.

amberc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waking Life Reaction

Post  EmmaFrasier on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:47 pm

The film Waking Life was originally filmed with real actors. After all of the scenes were shot in that style, the multiple animators traced over that actors to convert the film into an animation. Here are some reasons why that was a good idea.

The fact that all of the lines in the animation were moving at any given time gives a different feeling than watching a film with regular actors. It gives off feelings of uncertainty, confusion, and even danger. All emotions that the main character was most likely feeling as he was trapped in his Ďdreamí world.

Since the animators are tracing over different things to get the animation, they can change the color of anything they want to. For example, when a person in the film was talking in a way that had them getting angrier and angrier, the animators changed their facial color to red. Also, when that same character was calming down, their face was turning a light hue of blue.

Finally, with animation, the creators can add special affects that couldn't be added with only real footage. For example, when a man was lecturing the main character, the shape of his arms and face were changing depending on how close he got. You cannot do those things or give off that kind of feeling with real-life footage.

In short, animation as compared to real-life shot footage gives off a different feeling, or vibe, and it can give off different affects like changing the color or shape of people or objects.
EmmaFrasier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  richardv on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:58 pm

In waking life the main character is stuck in a dream anticipating death. While he is waiting to die he meets people talking about life in ways he has never heard before.

The creators of this movie used animation to make the whole movie. I think this is really cool because in class we worked for about a week to create a face and the in the movie the faces and all the scenes turned out very well.

The way the people created the faces you could see all of the different emotions (confused, sad, happy, annoyed). You could see all of the different frames, it's not just one animation per scene. Even when someone walked down the road you could see everything moving in the background, like cars passing, trees, buildings, etc...

Their is no other movie like Waking life. Their are a lot of animated movies but those don't use Photoshop and have the same aspect. This is created by a human working a computer, not just generated by a computer to make life easier.

These are some reasons how animated movies take a lot longer and how it's really hard to look at a computer for months all day to create a movie.

richardv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waking Life

Post  Lindy M on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:04 pm

The movie Waking Life was a better movie in animation. It was better as animation is because it wonít be as many errors, but it will take longer to make. Itís easier and harder with using animations instead of actors.

If you have actual actors it is harder to make a movie then if you did it with animation. Since actors are human they do make mistakes, we all do. If it is with people in the background it wont be hard because u have to animate their face and then there done. After that itís all up to you and what u can do with it.

When you use animation it will take longer to do. You have to animate the actors face and then make their mouth, face, and hair move. Unlike with regular actors it moves naturally. So it will take some hours, or days for you to get finished with one persons face and all their animations. You have to make hundreds of animations before the movie is done, but that is the same thing with clips for a movie because you might have to take hundreds of clips for a movie with actors too.

Animations can make a movie better then it would be with actors. For example u can put a picture of a star if they say something including a star, but you canít do that with actors. With actors you can use there bodies and not really so much their imagination and thoughts.

So itís hard to make a movie animation or actors. You can make mistakes either way. Actors can mess up a movie with a single movement of their body. You can mess up a movie with the wrong drag of a mouse. There are different things you can do with animation that you canít do with actors. There are some animations you can do that you canít do with actors.

Lindy M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waking Life

Post  zachw4lker on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Waking life, the movie is animated the whole way through the story, this is why I think it's animated
I feel as if the movie waking life used animation and different movements to show that it was a dream state of mind of the main character.
I also feel the animation matches the emotion, whether it's happy, sad, upset, scared, or confused it always matched the main characters mood and the way he was feeling as well as the way it moved and how certain things were introduced also matched the way the story moved or the animations that were used.
The movie can change emotion and the way you see the movie from changing the animation, you can see this as a sad movie, or a really happy movie by the different animations and the way things are shown and how the main character will react to the situations he's being put in.
For example when the bald man with the short beard was talking the whole time the animations were changing to to how he was speaking and the way he moved.
This movies entire story was a huge dream state the character was living through, the animations changed as emotion and other actions took place.
zachw4lker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dymond on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:14 pm

The use of animation over the film of real actors added effects that you don't get with just watching normal people. The animation and bright colors adds to dream effect. The characters also become much more exuberant and filled with life. You also get an eerie feeling when the animation is put with the music and fear of not being able the wake.

By adding the animation it adds a whole new layer to the ongoing dream feeling the film gives off. Everything is more exaggerated and twisted and you can feel the creativity put into the film. It almost feels as though you are witnessing the dream at the same time as the characters.

The animation also lets the characters exaggerate their emotions more then real people. It can be hard to analysis some people's emoticons. By using animation the audience can read a characters emotions more clearly. For example, in the scene with the man yelling from his car, you can tell he's angry because his face turns red. Being red in the face represents anger better than just an angry man screaming at the top of his lungs.

And finally, the animation just keeps you interested. It's creative and can help draw in an audience because of it's more interesting to look at rather than normal people. The switching of art styles gave each scene a certain feel that made each scene unique.

Overall the movie was beautiful and amazing. The animation gave you the ability to understand the characters emotions and feel the main characters pain of being trapped in such an ominous place.
Dymond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyJ on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Walking Life is a movie that utilizes animation as it's main standing ground for the way the movie is perceived to the audience. There are many different scenes throughout the movie, all which utilize animation in its own way to stand out to the audience.

I believe the creators used animation in this movie to perceive a certain tone or mood throughout. There are many scenes that stand out purely because of the way the animation is used. One is when there is a music instructor and he is talking to the students about how to play a certain musical piece. It stands out because the music they are playing mixed with the animation creates a tone that touches you mentally and can bring back memories from your own life.

Another scene from the movie that stands out is when there is a bartender that shoots a man with his gun, when it wasn't expected at all to happen. This stands out to me because of the irony. Some parts in the movie like this stood out a lot more then others.

In using the pen tool, this movie produced a very dream like state. Seeing as though this movie is all based on dreams, it fits perfectly. The biggest feeling I get from watching this movie is a dreamy state of mind. The way the conversations flow with the actors and the animation really catch your ears and eyes.

In a nutshell, I loved this movie and the way it plays out. The actors all have their own uniqueness that adds on to the style of the movie. The animators did a great job in editing this film and the actors played great rolls in making the film as unique as it is. I have never watched anything like this film and it opened up my eyes to a new way of thinking artistically and mentally.
RileyJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan_S on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:42 pm

The whole movie was created using a pen tool and tracing over the actors in the film. This style of movie creation gave a feeling of the fact that the main character could actually be dreaming. Certain elements of the animation gave an effect that a normal movie with just film of actors couldn't get.

One example of the animation being more unique then just film is that during some of the conversations, they put in effects that would correspond with what the person was saying. That example is when the main character was talking with another. That other person was talking about chemistry or some kind of science. Occasionally, he would fill up with water when he was talking about it, or little atoms would appear when he was talking about atoms. This gave a sense of what he was talking about. Many things he was talking about was a little confusing or things any normal person could be confused about. These little animations gave a visual on what he was talking about, causing people being able to understand it a little better.

Not only does this film use the pen tool technique to add in effects to conversations, but the different styles and distortions give a sense that the main character must be dreaming. An example of this is when the main character was talking to a boy on a roof, the boy started to turn into a tan blob and slowly was losing his features until he just burst or disappeared. This scene was one of many that can tell the viewer that what is going on is not actually going on in real life. While this effect could be accomplished in regular film, it would not have the same "feel" to it as a 2D animation of it.

The last example of the film includes the film overall. The pen tool technique and the effects provided hints that the main character is not awake or this doesn't really take place in the conscious world. Each scene was a different style. One was more detailed than the next. Some had a more cartoon element than others. This made things inconsistent through out the movie. However, just like the style of the movie, dreams are always inconsistent as well. In conclusion, the reason why they used the pen tool and allowed other people to do different scenes was to show the craziness and inconsistency of dreams. Again, this shows that the main character was possibly asleep or not in a state of consciousness.

Overall, this movie was very interesting and was definitely not something you see every day. The pen tool technique provided a different element to the movie and gave a sense of dreaming or something not in reality. Regular film with showing the actual actors would not be able to provide this element. So, that could be the reason why the producers of this film decided to make it with the pen tool rather than just using the film that they recorded.
Megan_S

View user profile http://megasourusrex.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  marissap on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:43 pm

†In the movie Waking Life, there are a handful of things that enhance it's quality and make it better and overall different than other movies I've seen. Throughout the entire movie, there are different types of styles for using the pen tool making it obvious that more than one person made it. Also, during different scenes of dialogue you can plainly see that there are some cool effects being done that you don't usually see in your average movie. Lastly, the style of perspective in really different and in a way confusing throughout the entire movie.

† †The techniques the creators used with the pen tool are either very detailed and structured, or in some scenes it would be a bit sloppy and not as well done as it could have been. This goes to show that each designer had a different style and they had their own unique mark with what they did and how they did it. While also proving that doing this type of photo shop for movies can take a lot of time and it can be extremely difficult.

† †Something that made this movie unique was during the dialogue. During a number of the conversations throughout the movie there were these special effect type things where they'd represent what the people were speaking about through tiny pictures or overlaying an image over the person's body. This is something that couldn't be done during an actual filming of a movie with real people.

† †Another thing that made this movie unique was the perspective from which we were viewing the story of this guy. It felt like a sort of inception type of thing where for most of the movie you know what's going on but you don't fully comprehend what that has to do with the plot of the movie. The point of view seemed to change to a different set of eyes every 10 minutes when in actuality we were watching through 1 person's eyes the entire movie.

† †To sum it all up in the movie Waking Life there are a number of things that make this film extremely creative and unique in its own way. The design techniques used vary in different scenes throughout the film, the special extra effects done during dialogue, and the point of you they chose to do this movie from are all ways that the creator has made a very unique and creative movie that you don't see in your average video store.
marissap

View user profile

Back to top Go down

walking life

Post  douglas on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:05 pm

The waking life movie went with what were working on in class because it is all pen tool. You can tell in some parts were it was done by different artist have done it which is very cool i think . the part were he set himself on fire is one example of the animation the other example is the phone there was so much detail .the other example is the people which looked very cool. the whole movie was very detailed over all i understood how the movie tied in with the pen tool projects.

douglas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adiya J on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:24 am

The creators used animation to show everyones perspective of what they think about the situation. The use of animation make the film seem like it was in a dream. Every time someone spoke or a different scene was shown the style changed.Some examples are like when the man was in the car, the main character whenever he starts to float in the air, and the guy who was in the shop with the main character talking.

†The guy in the car, was talking about how people are apart of the government's set up. The way he was animated he became more, and more red as he spoke. And the animation changed slightly. The stuff in the backseat started to float slightly.

† Another example is when the main character floats into the air. The animation changes almost every time just †slightly. Each scene that happens it seems like he goes deeper and deeper into the dream. Every time he wakes up the style changes. The animation for the main character is always changing.

† Lastly, when the main character and a guy were in the shop. The man's face, mainly his eyes, changed every time he talked. His eyes popped out as he talked about a connection between people and the world around them. His hair moved around a lot as he move his head and his face was very loose. The background moved around them as well. There was a person sitting across from them and there notebook began to float.

† Basically, the creators of the film did an extremely good job using animations and different photoshop techniques to add emphasis to certain parts of the film. This draws the viewers in more.
Adiya J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  briannab on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:33 am

The Waking life shows life in a different perspective. The animations show details that would not usually stand out in a normal movie. The different animators on how they did each scene made the viewer pay more attention to whats going on, The way they presented every person, and the message behind the movie, how they animated the message behind everything helped enhance the movie. They aloud the viewers to enjoy the movie more than if it was just characters playing the parts.

The change between each scene made the watcher pay more attention to details and the message. Each scene done by a different animator made the movie stand out. The scenes animations helped show the message behind everything. He floated through scenes meeting new people learning what they know. The animations changed and the characters changed the way they looked.

The way they presented each person when they went into the next scene. The person did not know him but just started talking about life and dreams. Everyone sharing their knowledge with him but never telling him what is actually going on or how to get out of it. Each scene changed the way a character looked because of the new animator. People flying through the air at times.

The message behind the movie showed through the animations in each scene. They showed a different life through everything. A dream can be whatever you make it to be. Dreaming in a whole new way. Talking to new people seeing the way they see the world. How each character explains a little piece of the message but does not give it away and makes everyone think about it.

The Waking life shows that life is just a dream and it is a dream only you can wake yourself up from. Nothing is something. Make life the way you want it to be, not what others want it to be for you. Waking up from a dream can make you see the world in a whole new way.

briannab

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waking Life essay

Post  MaKayla W on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:03 pm

In Waking Life, the makers of the movie used animation instead of real people for many reasons. In certain scenes you need the animation in the movie or it wouldnít have fit well. This movie could be a good source for people who want to learn how to make animations. To make the movie stand out from others they could have wanted to use the animation.

To make the movie fit well, the people who made the movie used animation instead of real people. In a few scenes the main character is floating, with real people it wouldnít have looked right and it would really affect the whole movie. There were also scenes where they added in little animations to make it more dramatic or for viewers to get the main point in that scene. The switching of scenes would have been confusing because everything would be the same but with animations you can change things around.

This movie would be a reliable source for people who want to have an example of animations. In many scenes you could see the different shades the creators used to give it an effect. It could also give tips of what not to do, no movie is a hundred percent perfect, but there were some things they could have changed to make it better. When watching the movie you could note that they used extra animations to make an effect in the scene.

This is a very unique movie because of the animations; itís not like a cartoon. Cartoons are very plane, they donít have a lot of different colors when a character moves, but in this animation you get a full effect. Waking Life also has a real meaning to it, not like SpongeBob, where this is more serious. The way the movie is set it stands out.

In all, the makers made a good decision in animating the movie. There are a lot of great scenes. They could have changed a few small things in animating but overall it would be a great example for beginning animators. Finally, the way it was put together gave viewers a better understanding of what the movie was about.

MaKayla W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brimangus on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:24 pm

In the film Waking Life the character is stuck in a never ending dream meeting new people and soon finding out that he is most likely dead. The use of animation in this film helps project the dreamy feeling that this guy is in. As if everything around him isn't as real as he may think. The animation could have also been used to show the feelings and emotions of others around him more deeply to try and get the audience to also feel as deeply as they do when watching it. The different types of animations used, makes it seem as if he is jumping from dream to dream and that every scene is something new. If they would've used real actors it would've lost its dreamy not real sense of feelings but they were able to maintain that with the different types and scenes drawn. The animation is helpful in some parts of the movie such as when he is talking to the lady about language the word flow out of her mouth and form little images showing the meaning and allowing the viewer to get a clearer view of what she is trying to say. They were able to add parts in the movie that they couldnít film with real actors such as when the self destructive man lit himself on fire.
brimangus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cierra on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:42 pm

The movie waking life is like many other movies. It has various characters, speeches, and turning points, but waking like is far from ordinary it is an animation. Every scene is basically a cartoon which keeps me interesting to me.

Waking life is animated because itís a lot more alluring than most movies. The director can really keep a person interested. If every scene is not boring and the same old thing every scene has a different artist so it is a different style. Such as in the scene when the lady was talking about language and love. They had pictures indicating what she was talking about that really kept me engrossed in the conversation rather than dosing off.

They showed emotion better. In a normal movie emotion would have been showed by the look on the persons face or what the person was doing but in waking life they show a lot more emotion. In one scene when the man was in the car ranting his skin seems to fade into this bright red color. They would not be able to do that in a regular movie. It displays emotion a lot better than regular movie.

Animation makes details more precise. The directors could change anything they did not like about something. They could make anything more precise or even make it simple. If something was in the scene that was not supposed to be there they could easily fix it or block it out. Personally I loved the detail in everything it made me eager to get to the next scene and see more of the different styles of animation rather than seeing the same thing over and over again. In one scene everything would look really life like it didn't really look animated at all. Then in the next scene it would be kind of simple where you could tell it was animation.

Animation is a very different way to make a movie which tells you that the person is very original. Waking life was very artistic and I would recommend it to other people. If they wanted to look into something like that and get a different take on animation.

Cierra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top