Assignment 19: Waking Life reactions due 11/16

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 19: Waking Life reactions due 11/16

Post  Admin on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:10 am

Copy/paste your journal entries here:†

(Day 1): Why do you think the creators of this movie decided to put it together as an animation instead of using life actors?

(Day 2): Pick one of the scenes we watched today where the animation was more creative than just tracing the characters. Did the animation add to the story or meaning in some way? Was it distracting?†

(Day 3): Why do you think the walls are moving in many of the scenes?

(Day 4): Several times the characters mention the idea of dehumanization. What does this concept mean to you? How does the style of the movie relate to the idea of dehumanization?

Grading: 2 points possible
0 - no/little analysis of the movie, no effort to rewatch scenes or look up terms if needed to form an opinion
1 - response demonstrates at least two thoughts supported by examples from the movie
2 - well thought out responses backed up by examples from the movie.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 19: Waking Life reactions due 11/16

Post  GinaK on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:29 am

(Day 1): Why do you think the creators of this movie decided to put it together as an animation instead of using life actors?
† † † † † † † †- I feel like the directors of the movie had animation instead of real actors is because they wanted to get their point across in an artistic way.
(Day 2): Absent
(Day 3): Absent
(Day 4): Several times the characters mention the idea of dehumanization. What does this concept mean to you? How does the style of the movie relate to the idea of dehumanization?
† † † † † † † † † - This concept didnít make me feel or think of anything. It was all blank to me. I didnít understand a single thing. It was gibberish to me. I was extremely confused the whole time.
GinaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  haleyg on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:30 am

Why did they use animation and not live actors?
I think they used animation and not live actors because they wanted to make it a different version then what every other movie is so that a variety of people would watch it and be into it.
The way the manís head formed into what he was talking about was distracting to me because when youíre trying to focus on what heís saying and his head changes into the different thing you zone out on what heís saying and you zone into what shapes his head is turning into. In a way I fell like there doing that to get peopleís attention into the movie but I found it distracting.
I think that the walls are moving because this whole movie is based off a dream and I think they do it so that they can show you when heís in a dream therefore the dreams are coming to life.
I think they used dehumanization because he was dreaming but in reality I believe he was actually dead because in the begging of the movie he got hit by a car then he suddenly wakes up in this ďdreamĒ and keeps waking up over and over again but in a different ďdreamĒ. He also sees a bunch of dead people and speaks to them about life. In the end when he wakes up I donít think he actually woke up I think he was just donít dreaming and had enough realization.

haleyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  carolinebm on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:30 am

11-10-15
I think the creators of the movie make it animated instead of using actors because it would be very hard to animate those things on real people, since they are doing things that humans canít do(at least that we know of Wink, such as flying.
11-11-15
The animation of the manís brain and nerves while he was talking was very interesting. I enjoyed it and didnít think it was distracting. I think visuals help you understanding what he was saying more.
11-12-15
I think that the walls are moving in the animation because it goes with what the people are telling him. They are saying that nothing is how we seem it to be, and the walls shifting around solidifies that.
11-13-15
The animations dehumanizes the people in the movie by making them not look like a typical person. For example, a man playing the double bass in the band while the people danced had a blue arm. The way the people moved along with how the walls and objects moved all agreed with the idea of dehumanizing the charaters.
carolinebm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lancev on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:31 am

Day 1:
I believe they chose animation over live actors because they can control what happens, what it looks like and etc. They have the power to make things look different and make things happen that they probably wouldnít be able to do if they used just real life actors. †

Day 2:
I think the extra animations in the movie are a bit distracting. In some scenes (like when the manís face turned into a gear) I got distracted from what he was saying because it was too crazy for me.

Day 3:
I think the walls are moving because the animation is detached and the animators donít know how a wall works

Day 4:
I think they mean dehumanization as, of course, making some less of a human. Like, taking thing away from them that all humans should have the right to have. The style of the movie did do this in the animation and drawing style, it made the people less human by reducing them to lines, shapes and colors. They didnít really look human in some scenes, they looked more like cartoon characters the animators could control, and with the animators controlling them also made them dehumanized, because they arenít in control of themselves.
lancev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  carlosaaw on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:31 am

11-10-15

I think they wanted to use animation because it something different & it will entertain a lot of people who see it, itís really cool how they did because it wasnít messy or out of order so they did a good job on the movie I actually like it.

11-11-15

The animation on the person body was okay I understood it because the things they were talking about went great with the mood of the person body that part was a great seen.

11-12-15

I think the walls are moving because the animation on them wasnít still it was live just like the people bodyís.

11-12-15

That word is probably used a lot because he didnít know what was going on with the other people he was talking to.

carlosaaw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessd on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:31 am

Tuesday
The animation style gives a feel of uncertainty, and the slight variations in the way the characters are drawn shows a piece of their personality and how the protagonist feels about them.
Wednesday
In my opinion, the animations didnít make the conservation easier to follow, nor did they take away from it. I feel as though their relation to the conversations was interesting, but I feel like the dialogue itself would have been enough.
Thursday
I feel as if the movement of typically inert objects relates well to the ďdreamingĒ aspect of the film. In real life, the wall would not move and I think the fact that they do move helps to differentiate between the protagonistís waking life vs. the dream state.
Friday
To me, the concept of dehumanization is quite simple and literal: taking a human or something typically human and then viewing it as or transforming it into something that is not human. I think the film does that not only to the character but also to the audience. It makes you think of humanity and life as though you are not a human living it, but some sort of viewer.
jessd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Movie

Post  Emonie on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:32 am

Day 1
I think they used animation instead because you can add more expression and graphics in the background and to the characters face. It gives the people and story more emotion and emphasis on their words.
Day 2
The animation with the water and the gears actually helped me with grasp what he was say and the concept of what he was explaining.
Day 3
I think the walls were moving because itís showing how lucid everything and is showing the distortion between the dreams and reality.
Day 4
To me it means that you are human but you donít believe, see, or feel someone or yourself as that. This movie does that by using a guy who is either dead or in a coma but can interact with things and people as if theyíre real and itís all alien to him and frustrating because he keeps waking up but heís not really waking up. Like a false sense of security or hope and it confusing/frustrating him to no end.
Emonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MeganM on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:33 am

Day 1: Why do you think the creators made this movie in animation instead of real people?
I think they did the movie in animation because they wanted was to get more of that detached feeling to it.
Day 2: How did you feel about the part where the manís head changed?
I think it was a great addition. It made understanding him a bit easier. It provided something to look at while I thought about what he was saying.
Day 3: Why do you think the walls are moving?
Because it is supposed to be a detached feeling
Day 4: What does dehumanization mean to you?
Itís not seeing someone as human, making them just an enemy, or not real
How does this relate to the movie?
The people are all part of an elaborate dream, they arenít real.
Is he dead?
He is most certainly dead.
MeganM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaileyL on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:33 am

1. Why do you think the people that made the movie chose to use animation instead of live actors?
I think that they used animation instead of live actors because it gives it a more detached feeling that fits the story and makes the viewer feel differently than they would if they used live actors.
2. Do you think that the dramatic changes in animation add to the story, or that theyíre distracting?
I think that the changes in the animation like the manís face turning redder as he talked more and got seemingly angrier and more passionate and the other manís face turning into a gear as he talked about wanting to be a gear added to the story because they visually represent what is being said.
3. Why are the walls moving?
I think that the walls are moving because it gives a sense of detachment and that the scenes in the movie arenít actually happening it is a dream.
4. What does dehumanization mean to you and how does it relate to the movie?
To me the concept of dehumanization means that you are not fully there and you donít feel connected to things which relates to the movie because the main character is experiencing many disconnected things and the places that he is in are always not completely connected and have a sense of detachment.
KaileyL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Will123 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:34 am

Journal #1 †11-10-15
The creators of the film thought of using animation instead of real actors is because, they wanted to show their artistic vision. They wanted to grab the audience in a different type of way. The cost of the film could also be relatively low because, you have to do a lot of stuff for the actors. Most cartoons do fairly well so the director decided to do it in animation to hopefully get the persons art out there.

Journal #2 †11-11-15
The person who was explaining all the different things going on in the world. The director/artist made the characters head change to whatever they were talking about. The characters head changed to a gear or their head and body filled up with water. This type of visual learning and or understanding can help you figure out what type of context they are using and how it affects the character. Personally I am a visual learner so it gave me a better understanding of what they meant by it.

Journal #3 11-12-15
The walls move around to give a dream affect to the movie. It makes you feel like you are dreaming. The movie is mostly about dreaming from what I can see.

Journal #4 11-13-15
The movie was just a dream to the protagonist. The people that the protagonist meets are people who explain his life to him. On your death bed you suppose ably have every memory you have ever had within a couple of seconds. I think that the protagonist is having that moment but it feels like a lifetime to him. The characters he meets mention dehumanization, which is thinking of something as something else. You completely just forget any knowledge about it and just do what the objective is.
Will123

Location : Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYlNxs_wDW4oFIdkx2WVPzA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gracew on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:34 am

11-10-15 †
† † The people who created the movie made it animation so it could capture the attention of the audience. It is a very unique animation style so people are drawn into watching it even if they donít understand what the characters are saying. If the movie was live action, it wouldnít be as eye-catching therefore not as much people will want to watch this movie. It also gives more of an effect as a dream.
11-11-15
† In the one scene where the guyís head turned into a gear etc. †I thought it was helpful and made it better to understand. It kept the audience on the same page and helped keep us on track with what he was saying.
11-12-15
† I think the walls are shifting to give the effects of a dream. When lucid dreaming, you notice everything is distorted and blurry. The moving walls are giving that feeling of distortion.
11-13-15
† Dehumanization, to me, means to make someone less of a human. In the movie, dehumanization is used because they are in a dream and they are less of a person. It doesnít really seem like theyíre real and the dream is dehumanizing them, making them seem less of a human.
gracew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A review for the weird movie

Post  JordanA on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:40 am

11/10/15(Day 1)
So for this movie thus farÖitís kind of weirdÖum the animation is weird to because during that scene earlier on in the movie when that dude in the red shirt was talking to that scientist guy, that scientistís head was growing and shrinking and it kind of creeped me out a bit. I would rather watch the real life version of this movie than the animated versionÖand I LIKE ANIMATION! But anyway like I said this is all just my opinion so please donít hateÖIím a nice guyÖreallyÖ

11/11/15(Day 2)
My opinion for the various animations throughout the movie isÖyes! I love how the animator used those little animations to help them express themselves to us. Itís really neat. (^-^)
11/12/15(Day 3)
Question: Why do you think the walls are moving???
I mean when I dream, the walls donít move. The walls stay behave like regular in real life walls.
11/13/15(Day 4)
I was absent
JordanA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Movie Notes

Post  ClaudiaSims on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:40 am

"I think they did it to appeal to more people, also they probably want people to pay attention to something. The boring was actual pretty boring, well the audio, but the art was beautiful and the movement was fascinating. Even if you donít pay attention to the words you will watch the art."

(Day 2): Pick one of the scenes we watched today where the animation was more creative than just tracing the characters. Did the animation add to the story or meaning in some way? Was it distracting?

"Yes, the animation did distract me, but I was more interested in the gear and the man turning red than what they were talking about. I honestly didnít even care the art was extremely amusing."

(Day 3): Why do you think the walls are moving in many of the scenes?

:C Absent

also absent
ClaudiaSims

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny W. on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:52 am

Jonathan Walker
November 10, 2015
4th Hour
Movie Questionnaire

Day One: I think they designed this clip to open to a wider variety of people, because while clips and movies can apply to other people, cartoons are known for applying to everybody in general, which includes kids. It also gives a better representation of imagination and creativity with animated clips of a certain part of a movie. It gives the expression of it a bit of a lighter tone as well, not as entirely serious, mainly towards playfulness.
Day Two: ABSENT
Day Three: In a dream, everything is moving, nothing can be still or boring, because anything and everything can happen in a dream, so with this reasoning, the walls are constantly shifting and moving.

Day Four: To me Dehumanization means, like youíve lost all of your humanity, like every ounce of care in you justÖ DroppedÖ Vanished, like revealing light to darkness. Itís like being consumed in so much hate you donít care who you hurt so long as you quench that thirst of hatred.
Jonny W.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AnthonyCronk on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:52 am

1. I think the creators of this movie made it a animation because you have to visualize it more
2. The scene where the characters are changing to match what they are talking about
3. I think the walls are moving in the scenes to make you think more and show how the dream is changing
4. I think the story is referring to dehumanization because everyone is a robot or as they refer to as ants or puppets
AnthonyCronk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaireG on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:59 am

My opinion on ĎWaking Lifeí

1) Maybe they used the cartooning of it to show a message, that the world is a sick renditioning to what it was before and that nothing is true now of days that the reality has been covered in layers by the people. Everything seems peachy on the outside, but on the inside there is a dark truth. Everyone is facing their demons in different ways, the moral is to try and see through the lies and deceit, to find the inner beauty. Or they just have a lot of downtime.
2) The background moved even when the main character wasnít moving, I believe it was to show that everything and nothing is still happening at the same time. Even if the character is sitting, the world is moving forward.
3) The background was moving because the world is, the story itself is shifting back and forth, almost as if it is a dream, as if life is one big hologram of an idea. I guess (Or at least hope) is that they are insinuating everything we see is a dream, and that his world is always shifting to something different.
4) Dehumanization means that you feel you are not human. That anyone you choose will not be human and lesser, that you are reduced to a target. You can sort of relate to them but still not enough, they tried to animate it to make it non-human and dehumanized. The style seemed omniscient, as if creeping you from it because of how alien it is. We arenít used to it, and it made us look at it harder, see differently, and take us out of our comfort zone. I believe they got what they wanted to show, that life is an instant, and to know life fully is to be done with life, that you are not dead or alive, and the universe is relative.
ClaireG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Heaven S on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:00 pm

(11/10/15) My opinion on why they animated the movie instead of using real people is because they wanted to show off their talents or just try something, but the animation does catch my attention.
(11/11/15) The scene I liked was the one when the man was talking about the brain and the nervous system and it showed up. I found it interesting, but helpful because I am more of a visual learner and I understood what his was saying and trying to explain. I also liked the scene when his body filled up with water because it explained what he was saying, but in a visual way. I found both of these scenes helpful and creative not distracting.
(11/12/15) I think the background moves to show that the camera is moving since itís animated and a camera wasnít really used it helps give detail to the surroundings to.
(11/13/15) Dehumanization to me means going outside of yourself and looking at yourself from a different perspective, I also think it means to come outside of your regular boundaries and explore more things or different things. The style of this movie shows dehumanization because they arenít using real people but other than that the man thinks he is coming out of his dream, but he was just changing dreams. It also showed dehumanization because it was like he never woke up, so he was outside of his self not acting like his regular self.
Heaven S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shaquoryh on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Day 1
I think the illustrator used real people, so that it would open the eyes of real people. When people watch cartoons they automatically think it is something that doesnít require thinking. With this cartoon they show you small clips at a time, and with the clips, they donít tell the whole story, so it requires you to think how the recent clip goes along with one before it.

Day 2
The different way they did the illustrations, they made me more confused, because I didnít understand the reason they did that. I was already confused based off the first day and with the different illustrations made me more confused.

Day 3
I think the walls were moving around in the scenes because they wanted to give the effect as if the camera is moving. In the beginning of each scene you will notice that the walls are moving and they are only showing the main character for that scene so I thought it was like maybe they are in there own little world. We also came to the conclusion that all the different scenes were actually dreams that one person is having, they wanted to give the effect that when this person wakes up their dream will be blurry just like we are seeing it as we are watching it.

Day 4
The visuals showed dehumanization because they knew that he was dreaming and if he would have dehumanized him he was stop dreaming and he was going to feel weird about and then he would finally see how it would feel to actually wake up.
shaquoryh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaitlyna on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:01 pm

I believe that making it into a cartoon style gives it a creepier feel. I like how I could see the different styles of each artist. In some of the scenes you could see all the detail from the original version and I like that. I would also like to see some of the scenes in the normal movie way. I liked how in some of the scenes they added a little art of their own. I liked it because it helped me understand what was going on better and I could watch what was going on. Iím not really sure why the backgrounds move while the people donít, but I think itís for added effect.
I feel that putting it into animation form makes it seem like they really arenít real. It portrays it as a cartoon and not really real life. Itís more of an idea than a real thing. Dehumanization to me is taking the thought and turning it into something fun.
Kaitlyna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment - 'Waking Life'

Post  IkalanniJ on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:02 pm

1.) Why do you think they did this as an animation?
Personally, I think there is a hidden message behind everything. Seeing that it is indeed an animation, the styles in the movie change by scenes, and out of the entire scene that we watched there wasnít much dialogue and there were mini-scenes in the scene itself. Overall, I think that the animation aspect was to draw attention to it. Most movies that have attention drawn to it are either animations or action movies, depending on tastes.

2.) Pick one creative interpretation and talk about it basically; what do you find interesting or distracting? Maybe creative or awesome?
I think the one scene that was especially interesting was when the two people were talking about individuality. Not only because science was involved with the conversation, but the creative aspect of the scene rather interesting as well. The way they talked about water and the human body, and the brain governing the nerve system. I like the way they animated it. The style of the scene was appealing to my tastes in many different ways like the variety of line styles and color schemes.

3.) Why do you think the walls are moving in many of the scenes?
I believe it hold some sort of significance to particular scenes. Like how some scenes didnít have moving backgrounds and some did have moving backgrounds. I wasnít really paying attention to this aspect, but, if I remember correctly, some of the calmer scenes have less movement in the background than scenes that are more aggressive or have more things happening in the foreground. Maybe itís the complete opposite. But, there is a chance that the moving backgrounds signify the idea of him dreaming and not dreaming. It could go either way.

4.) Several times the characters mention the idea of dehumanization. What does this concept mean to you? How does the style of the movie relate to the idea of dehumanization?
To be completely honest, I dislike the idea of dehumanization a lot. I understand that it is used for tactic of many things, but I donít really like it. The movie, from my understanding, doesnít really show any forms of dehumanization. It was all a dream and it had many different viewpoints. Throughout the movie, the main character or any other character on that matter, did not show any signs of dehumanization either.
IkalanniJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TigerC on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Day 1: I think they turned this into an animation because you can portray emotion a lot better when you have control of how a scene looks. You are able to change the art style to match the mood of whatís happening in the film. Thus creating a much more emotional film as opposed to the live action version of it. In which case the live action would only be able to control mood with sounds and visuals but even then it would not be as clear as what mood they are representing. Being able to control the art style gives you that extra boost to connect with the viewer. A serious sceneís art style could contain jagged shapes or a happy sceneís colors could be brighter and more saturated.
Day 2: The added animation effects made the animation much more interesting to watch and observe. Seeing some of the effects caused you to kind of focus on why they chose to add that effect to the animation for the purpose of the story.
Day 3: I think the walls are moving in the scenes to kinda show that the character is dreaming. It can mess with your perception of whatís actually going on and has a spacey feel to it.
Day 4: Dehumanization to me is where you lose your sympathy and humanity and only act upon instinct. You lose what makes you self-aware and an advanced creature, thus turning you into a savage animal.
TigerC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DylanF on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:15 pm

1.) I think they chose an animation to give it more enthusiasm and different vibes from the original movie. This can also attract more and even different audiences. This gives the movie a wider variety of interest.
2.) I think that some of the animations were a little distracting while the one guy was talking. There was a bit too much going on.
3.) I think that walls are moving a lot because he was dreaming and things might not have been a little dizzy and unstable.
4.) Dehumanization to me is making a human being something lesser than a human. Taking someone rights and treating them poorly. In the movie the characters where animated and they didnít have control of themselves dehumanizing them.
DylanF

View user profile https://open.spotify.com/user/wafl_wong/playlist/42Z3ZsjU9CnwG93

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenZ on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Q1: Why do you think they chose to do it as an animation? I think they chose to do it as an animation because in the animation mode it was able to express more than they would be able to do if it was not in an animation. I feel like if it was in a normal state then some of the things they are trying to show you would not rub off that much. It is trying to show a way that things can be different in the world and it makes the whole story more memorable like that.
Q2: I picked the scene when they were in the bar talking about that time he was at the gas station in the middle of no were. I think scene was very interesting but also really weird the way it played out and ended was also a little weird. The animation were not that distraction they were more just there to explain the story more.
Q3: I think the walls were moving in the background as a way to express that he was in a dream. I think them showing the walls move made viewers question if he was dreaming or not.
Q4: To me the idea of dehumanization is kind of like inhumane. I think the story mentioned this because many times in the story character commit a lot of cruel acts.
StephenZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cameron b on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Waking Life Reaction Entrys
† † †Watching the first few scenes of this movie, I think that they made it cartoon like to add in a couple of special effects to it and kind of, in a way, draw the viewers in and let them watch more to see more of the artistic effort that was put in. I also think that it switches to different scenes because they want each part to be a life lesson for the people watching.
† † †I think that the background of the scene was moving because he was in a dream the whole time before hand and they wanted to show that in a way that wasnít giving away too much about the situation. At the same time though I donít think that they wanted it to become a distraction for the viewers.

† † †I think that the background of the scene was moving because he was in a dream the whole time before hand and they wanted to show that in a way that wasnít giving away too much about the situation. At the same time though I donít think that they wanted it to become a distraction for the viewers.
† † †I think that they used the term ďdehumanizationĒ because in the dream there are people that are transforming as they are speaking about different things to the main character. For example, one time a person in the movie said that your body is like a complicated machine working constantly. As he said that, his whole body turned into a bunch of gears that began turning. I thought that this was also a very interesting situation.
cameron b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top