Assignment 19: Waking Life reactions due 11/16

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Assignment 19: Waking Life reactions due 11/16

Post  felicityakakatie on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Waking life.
Journal why do you think they used animation instead of live actors?
To give the audience more to think about when watching. Giving us a more interesting look while they talk about life in general.
Day 2, pick a scene, why do u think they used animation for this scene?
The 2nd scene. With the man and all the little things that went with what he was saying, helped me understand what he was talking about. How he looked at life.
Day 3, why do you think the background is always shifting?
I believe this is all a dream and it will stop moving once he actually wakes up
Day 4, how does animation relate to dehumanization?
With using the animation they were able create a visional way to see dehumanization with a better aspect

felicityakakatie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Entries

Post  josephc on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Journal Entry #1
Animation provides a certain detachment from the visuals that the audience witnesses. This film brings up a lot of anti government and nihilistic views so this detachment can be beneficial. This also showcases the abilities of the animators and the program that they use, it’s a good platform to showcase their talents.

Journal Entry #2
There is a certain scene where a man is talking about being human and there is animation coming off of him, going off inside of him, and radiating around him. This makes it very distracting and I only caught a couple words out of his whole lecture. The animation takes away from the film’s questions and importance in regards to life. It follows a plot that is all over the place, but the scenes alone hold a lot of value. The animation takes away from this value and makes it hard to focus on the words, which are the carrier of the film.

Journal Entry #3
The background shifts around to bring life to the film. Without these effects, the whole movie would just be people talking about dreams and stating their viewpoints.

Journal Entry #4
The animation itself dehumanizes the characters and creates a disconnection between the audience and the film. I believe that this dehumanization makes it easier to put emotion aside and solely focus on the logic of the film and the questions that it brings up. There are some scenes that would be considered incredibly graphic but due to the animation, it’s not recognized as such. When the obscenities are not being focused on as hard, the viewer can lend more of their mind on the logic of the film and the message it’s attempting to get across.
josephc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sorry its long

Post  sam s. on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:49 pm

Day 1:
I feel like they used animation for this movie because everything doesn’t seem too pieced together like a smooth story, so it’s like a memory or a dream. With live actors, they couldn’t have completely replicated the unrealistic standards of a memory/ dream. They also use many disfigurations, like incorrect change of proportion or the weird buggy eyes they use on distressed characters from time to time, so that also could signal the events taking place just being recalled by the main character. It could also be a dream/ memory with the unexplained floating from the character(s) from time to time in the movie also, since random things such as that could happen in a dream and seem normal (like in the world the movie is placed in), or they could be imaging that to make the events more interesting.
Day 2:
The very out-of-place animation of the black man talking to the main character about a story seemed very distracting and unneeded, maybe even to the point of it being unfinished. It might of tried to show some abstract thing, because the things the man was talking about weren’t too in line with the straight-forwardness of other characters, but it still wasn’t too good to look at. Yes, the animation was smooth, but way too out of place for this movie, with the rest of the animation having a vector and blocky-ish look to it, instead of the cartoony and outlined animation.
Day 3:
The backgrounds were probably edited and distorted to emphasize that what is happening is a dream, or at least most of it is a dream and not reality. This is consistent throughout the whole movie, so the whole movie so far (at the time of writing) would most likely be a dream, and the backgrounds show this fact a bit more than other aspects, like the animation, since it might of just been a design choice, and not a choice to portray that this was in fact a dream.
Day 4:
I don’t exactly remember hearing anything about dehumanization, but the idea of it in this movie could relate to it as all the conversations the main character has throughout the movie. I could be wrong, as the conversations were mentioned as “good”, but the main character sees those humans as not actually there, obviously since he was in a dream-like state. Dehumanization could relate to the whole “this is the period before ascension to heaven” thing, since the main character or any other human who when into this state is being kinda dehumanized on a level, since they aren’t exactly automatically brought into the “official resting place”.
sam s.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NittayaH on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:51 pm

Why animation?

Putting the movie into animation showcases the skills and assets of a company’s Photoshop program rather than releasing it in live action.

I think the animation in the scene where the guy was explaining everything and had water going in his body and how his head changed to a gear was clunky and ugly to look at, honestly.

I think the background was shifty because of the program.

The animations dehumanizes the people in the movie by making them not look like a person. Dehumanization does not mean anything to me and does not make me feel. It’s a blank page.

NittayaH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MacC on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Journal #1
I believe that the producers of this film used a “cartoonish” style, rather than live action, to portray how the main character (the individual whom we follow throughout the film) sees and views the world. The many people he sees and talks to (or rather listens to) all state points about society and how the world works. Usually, an intricate and noticeable “thing” happens while these people talk, i.e.; the man who set himself on fire after speaking, the weird and distorted looking professor (?) who continuously morphed throughout the film. I’d also like to point out how the animation seems to differ between certain scenes.

Journal #2
I believe the one scene where the man was explaining how our brains worked and how we see things was naturally one of the best scenes where animation took place. It was rather easy to follow, as he spoke about individuality and what not.

Journal #3
The backgrounds of each scene and their means of shifting could rather differ, depending on the scene. Although, I’d like to think of the shifting scenes as the human’s wandering eye, on how we are unable to completely focus on one task and a task alone. When we are being spoken to, we must process the words that are spoken to us, and that alone takes up only a small fraction of our focus. Understanding what these words mean also require a lot of focus, and what’s left is just used for our minds to wander.

Journal #4
I’d like to believe that the film used its specific ways of animation to show dehumanization to show characteristics of other individuals. Some people were most likely the stereotypes of a group of people, like taking a pile of rice and pouring it into a bag; to unify the amount of rice. Their means of animation could show things you couldn’t see with just pure live-acting, there’s something special with this film.
MacC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waking Life reaction.

Post  reannan on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Waking Life Journal Entry #1
I think they chose to make this into an animation because it kind of gave it a more original feeling to it. I feel as if I would be more interested in seeing this animated instead of seeing it with real people. Though the only downfall that I had with this was it was harder to pay attention to the actual characters and the dialogue since I was paying more attention to the shadows and highlights on the characters as well as the moving back round almost always moving as if we were on a boat. Though it made me kind of nauseous it was fun to watch this first scene all animated and confusing.

Waking Life Journal Entry #2
In the beginning of the video where we watched the lady and the man in bed talking about reincarnation and rebirth and all that good stuff, the room and the people were very detailed to my. Though it was nice to see the facial features of the actors, it was a bit distracting for me because I felt as if I was focusing on the movement of the face and the movement of the background rather than the deep down of the topic in the conversation. Though this story is continuing to be confusing yet interesting.

Waking Life #3
I think the reason why the back ground is always moving is to give off the illusion of a dream. I think I kind of knew from the beginning that this was all going to be a big weird dream considering a lot of people were talking about things people wouldn’t normally talk about in a normal conversation that people have. Though I’m beginning to like this movie a lot since the topics are things that I enjoy listening to.

Waking life #4
I think when the main character (I don’t really remember his name) was talking to the girl with the red hair and they were talking about how people are equivalent to ants and society being the colony, I think that is a way to put out dehumanization. So I think that kind of relates because they were cartoons rather than the animation actually looking like people.

reannan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

waking up reactions

Post  annep on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:53 pm

Tuesday- Absent
Wednesday- I liked the scene where they were in bed talking about existence and how recantation would never work. I liked how they made the lines fallow to the next person.
Thursday- The background keep moving so we pay attention to it. Its showing that it is a dream and not him being there.
Friday- absent

annep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

noot noot

Post  kevynm on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Day 1
I think the main character may have some sort of mental illness and is trying to make sense of life.

Day 2
I think the scene where the man was talking about individuality had the most meaningful animation.

Day 3
I was absent.

Day 4
I think the animation relates to the idea of dehumanization by showing pure emotion in every character. Showing that every character has so much emotion and meaning that they put into their opinions. They could be seen as dehumanized because instead of people they are represented as their own opinions instead of a human amongst the rest. They are the species of perspective where nobody could possibly be anything alike.
kevynm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  angiep on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Waking Life
Journal#1                        Why do you think they opted to use this cartoon animation instead of live actors?
               I believe that they used this animation to make thing a little more interesting and to make some scenes less tense and realistic
Journal#2            Pick a scene. Do you think the animation they used was distracting or interesting?
                I am picking the scene with the boy and the old man talking to each other at a table by candle light, I think the animation is interesting because it is very detailed and realistic.

Journal#3          Why do you think the back grounds were shifting?
                I believe that the back grounds were shifting so you could look at the scene from a different point of view. A different perspective.
Journal#4            how does it relate to the whole idea of dehumanization?
                It show that he feels invisible and disconnected from the world and he is stuck in a loop of dreams. He can’t tell if he is in the real world or the dream world
angiep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karij on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Day 1) I think they used animation cause they thought it'd be more entertaining for younger audiences to watch.
Day 2) The scene where the mans face was turning different colors, it showed how he felt at that point like his face turning red when he yelled. It wasn't very distracting.
Day 3) To show that it was a dream or maybe that he wasn't really having these moments, that he was dead.
Day 4) To show that not many people accepted human spirit. They wanted everyone to act a certain way.
Karij

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  darrelb on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Tuesday maybe they just wanted to show the characters’ emotions in the animated form.
Wednesday The monkey talking just really threw me off to be honest
Thursday because people are telling him everything isn’t how it’s supposed to be
Friday the concept didn’t make me feel anything really it was all blank to me
darrelb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SethChristopher on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:24 pm

I think that they used animation because you can be more expressive with animation than just acting.
And the animation itself conveyed a lot that could be a person’s view of reality

The animation in the scene with the guy with the bright yellow shirt was a bit more cartoony and I think that that kept you watching because it was interesting to see the bombastic way they made it

I think the background moves because it it is an animation that is supposed to look sort of dreamy

I think dehumanization is when you deny people their basic rights and I don’t think that plays much of a part in this movie

SethChristopher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amandak on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Journal #1 (11/10/15)- The movie seems to be about people trying to comprehend what life might be about, while following around the one male main character. Definitely not connected to realism... Hence when the guy had lit himself on fire on the middle of the sidewalk. No one had tried to stop him or even reacted to it. Maybe his point had been that he had never had a voice, and could only be heard by causing such a big scene (i.e.: lighting himself on fire.) I feel like that does have a connection to present-day society, unless something traumatic or huge happens, what you say may not be looked at as of importance. But just another idea from another person.
Journal #2 (11/11/15)- Absent.
Journal #3 (11/12/15)- Absent.
Journal #4 (11/13/15)- The movie had added the effect that the character we were following was in a constant state of dreaming, maybe even a lucid-dream. Though come to find out throughout the entire movie he was actually dead, and needed to descend on. Dehumanization seems very present in modern day society, if someone doesn’t fit into society that they may not be considered an actual ‘person’ by others. Just because they may stand out somewhat, or not fall into the ‘normal’ category... They’re looked at as strange. The type of animation that was used had really fit the idea of dehumanization to me. The people looked almost unreal at some points with the cartoon-ish animation style. It all seemed to come into play, and fit well almost as if perfect puzzle pieces molded together that were ready to be mapped out.
amandak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Journal Entries

Post  AlexisRC on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Journal Entry #1

I believe that they used animation, to make each and every characters expressions have more depth and meaning. Also I believe they used animation to show bolder shadows, and show the different shapes of objects. Lastly I think they animated it like they did, because they wanted to show a different view that already existed.

Journal Entry # 2

The scene with the guy that has the glowing white eyes and teeth made the most impact on me. This scene had the most impact on me because I was too scared to even blink. The whites of his eyes were just staring at me…
Haunting me.
His teeth and just his mouth in general made me feel like he wanted to bite a chunk of flesh out of me. He looked like a titan from attack on titan. I wasn’t paying attention to what he was saying, it was just too creepy. Nightmares tonight, are inevitable. HELP ME.

Journal Entry # 3
I believe the backgrounds were moving because the camera was panning in a different direction. The background also could be moving to signify something important that is happening. All together though, I thought I was going to be sick because sometimes the background’s movement was too jerky or fast. Also I couldn’t read the letters on my keyboard for a few moments after this experience.

Journal Entry # 4
I believe dehumanization is when something or someone is not classified as a human, I believe they are isolated from society or they aren’t making any human connections. Everything around them is really a blur or a fantasy because people don’t really pay no attention to them. I think the animations dehumanize a lot of the characters because you can’t really tell what they are feeling/experiencing, it’s like they are in a surreal world, and you kind of get lost in that world.

AlexisRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alexisb on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Journal entry #1- I think they used the pen tool in the movie to catch the viewer’s eyes. No other movie like that is animated if not a cartoon. It’s different from other movies. It also is more realistic. It doesn’t seem like they go off a script. The makers of the movie probably wanted to be different from other movies.
#2- when the man was in the car speaking he turned red. I think it was distracting and had meaning to it. For one it was distracting because you’d be focused on how he was now red all of a sudden. One minute he was white then the next he’s slowly turning pink now red. It was help fun because you could now see that he was really mad about what he was talking about.
#3-I think the backgrounds were shifting because it shows the change being made in the scene. Also because the when they taped it they were moving the camera so the background often has a different look. Its really just because of the movement going on.
#4- I think dehumanization is the feeling of being dead. Like when you wake up and you feel kind of lost. Its like your there but you’re not there.

alexisb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  waynec on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:23 pm

My reason on they making it to a cartoon because it get people to see their way of the movie and they was broke to pay for actors. When the man was in the car going off about how people do bold and his face was turning red meaning he was mad. I believe that the background moving is to show people that they moving and not standing at that one spot for so long. What I think about isolation it’s different because I am the type to be around people but not a lot of people. It is related to dehumanization because it means to deprive of human qualities, personality, or spirit or means suffering a severe and damaging lack of basic material and it was some lack of basic material in the movie or clip.

waynec

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  christianAK on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Journal entry #1

I believe the reason that they resorted to using an animated version of the movie because they wanted to show it in a different perspective. Using animation also helps to show the characters/shapes boldness which could also help with the way people view the characters.

Journal #2

I find that the way they used animation in these scenes was rather helpful. They moved around pieces of the animation to draw a picture of what they’re trying to explain. Helping us to pretty much comprehend what the person is saying while they’re saying it.

Journal #3

I think the background to the film moved to give a bigger effect on how the audience views the film. It gets the viewer thinking. It could also be a problem about how the person editing was able to control it. Animation is very hard.

Journal #4

Dehumanization: Not just animating the physical features, but also mentally. Giving the viewers something to think about that they wouldn’t have thought about in a different point of view. The way they put the scenes and did the animation made me feel that in some way it helped people think about the metaphors they used or the logic they were trying to put out there.

christianAK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  erinw00 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:26 am

11/10/15
I feel like the creators of the movie decided to use animation instead of live actors for the purpose of symbolism. The people talking to the guy all had abstract characteristics, while the guy himself didn’t have many. There was one part where he started seeing things differently (his clock was changing rapidly) and at that moment, his eyes got wider. I feel like this was symbolism for his eyes being opened by the people surrounding him.
11/11/15
I found that the animations helped me understand what was going on a bit more. The way each character was animated helped express who they were as a character. For example, when the man’s head turned into a gear, it was helping express what he was saying/who he was. Or when the one man’s eyes were larger than usual, that also helped express who he was as a person.

11/12/15
I think that the walls are shifting around because in the first scene, it talks about being detached. I think this is because the man dreaming is detached from reality, and in his very own reality.
11/13/15
I think the term “dehumanization” is used a lot in the movie because the guy isn’t seeing all of the people he’s talking to as people, he’s seeing them as just a part of his dream.

erinw00

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  emilyp on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:05 pm

(Day 1): I think they chose animation because you can do more in animation than you can in real life. If the same effects were added in a real life movie, then it would look kind of odd.
(Day 2): When they added the water effect in the guy’s body and made bubbles come out of his mouth, it distracted me from what he was saying. I was looking at the effects so I wasn’t able to concentrate on his words.
(Day 3): I think the background is moving because the whole movie, or a lot of it, might be a dream.
(Day 4): Dehumanization means treating someone like they are less. Dehumanization is taking away someone’s rights and treating them like they’re stupid.

emilyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jieyc on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:07 pm

November 10, 2015
The reason I think they made this movie animated is because they thought it would catch the viewer’s attention and it would help them press their point across more effectively. It also was very creative, and all the animations like the man in the car talking through the microphone, the animation of his face becoming redder and redder showed how serious he was about what he was speaking on. I also thought the animation helped expressed some of the conversations way better because a lot of the material that they spoke on would have confused me if they weren’t there.

November 11, 2015
The guy speaking about free will really caught my attention and, the animation really help explain what point he was trying to get across. I think the water filling up over his face really helped further push his point and the little side animations of the chemical reactions, and the potions going to help explain the way he felt about us not really having control over our body. Like if you have adhd it’s not really our decision it’s our brain layout and functions.
November 12, 2015
I believe that the background keep moving cause the camera man is not steady with the camera, or it’s the way they put the images together, or the way it just came out after they put it through adobe flash and added the layers.
November 13, 2015
Dehumanization is when you make someone fell less of what they are, like telling them that their stupid and, that their worth nothing

jieyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  claires on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Day 1:
11/10/15
I think the reason for the movie being animation and not live action so that it can appeal more to a general group of people. So that the movie doesn’t just appeal to older people but a more broad group. I also think it’s animated so it can bring some comedy into a serious topic. Another reason is so the man who set himself on fire was not harmed. As well as to bring in the main characters mental state.

Day 2:
11/11/15
During the scene of the guy in the car, when his face was changing color you could tell that his emotions were portrayed through his face and not just his words. When his face turned red you could tell that he was angry or when his face was normal color you could tell that he was in that moment calm. During this scene it was quite obvious that his emotions were somewhat getting the better of him. It was easy to tell that that contributed to the plot. When it is just voice alone some emotions can be confused and mixed up with others.

Day 3:
11/12/15
I believe that the backgrounds are moving to show that when we can’t see the characters legs or feet we can still tell that they are moving. Also I believe that it is to create the illusion of the fact that this main character is only having as dream. I think that it is hinting to the fact that the whole movie is a dream. Which is something that could not be shown in a live action movie. That is my conclusion of why the background is moving.

Day 4:
11/13/15
To me dehumanization means to be someone who does not conform in a way that all humans normally do. The way they animated it is helpful because you can see that the way the other characters are acting is not in a way that normally human beings act. Like how the guy’s eyes popped out of his head it kind of symbolized that these characters are in fact somewhere in between life and death where everything is possible.

claires

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  indiad on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:18 am

Day 1: The directors of this movie made it animated because they thought it would seem too weird with real actors and possibly too graphic when the man lit himself on fire.

Day 2: I thought the gears and water were very helpful to connect with what the man was saying.

Day 3: Absent

Day 4: Absent

indiad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan_findley on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49 am

I think they they didn’t use actors cuz it would have been too graphic

I think it was a little distracting but it helped me understand what he was talking about a little better…when the man’s face turned red it showed us he was getting mad

The walls where moving cuz the animation was detached like the music

The movie states that don’t think of them as people cuz there dreams cuz he dead but he didn’t know he was dead until the end of the movie when he floated in to space by touching a car and when that guy told him his story

ryan_findley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaelaS on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:25 am

1. I think the movie was made the way it was because if it wasn’t made that way then people probably wouldn’t find it very interesting. Because it’s in the style of a cartoon, the movie isn’t so boring. But now it’s fun to look at and the person watching the movie will probably be more interested.
2. During one scene, the man was talking about how people are mostly made of water. When he said that, his body started to fill up with water. And when he was done speaking about that topic, the water went away but little bubbles started to come out of his mouth.
3. I think that is was moving around because the people who made the movie probably recorded the whole movie at different times so things in the background might have moved around a lot. Like the sky and other objects.
KaelaS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  douglas on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:01 pm

day 1:i think they used animations as a way to provide a more creative reaction to the movie and as a way to illustrate the movements in a more simple way
day 2:the scene were the guy filled with water was very creative and cool had a lot of detail from the outside the window to the air bubbles that came from his mouth
day 3:the walls were moving to add a more visible style to the words because the things on the wall related to the story
day 4:to me it means that they are treating you like a lower life form or such as a way people break down with a lack of civilization

douglas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top