Final Project - due on day of finals

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Final Project - due on day of finals

Post  Admin on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:17 am

1. Post up the work you've done for the last week (since the project due on the 15th)

2. Post up your strongest piece you created from the semester.†

3. Write (at least a paragraph) about why you consider it your strongest piece. It might be that it's not the "best" work, but you learned the most from it. Things you might include:

1.†What is the image intended to convey? (Artist's statement about the purpose of the piece)
2. Is the entire composition created with a sense of purpose? (Is the background contributing to the image, detracting from it, or neutral?)
3. Are the images in it all your own creative work?
4. Does it rely on cliches or are the concepts original?
5. How do colors, compositional decisions, props and techniques used convey meaning?
6. What creative techniques did you use?
7. Skills learned.

Grading:†
10% work from last week
40% quality of strongest work
50% Self-critique
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Project - due on day of finals

Post  jacob;-; on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:46 am

this is a video i did for the song so far away i know its not the best video but i am proud of it
when i was making the video i learned about timing the lyrics on screen making them fade in
and fade out and adding pictures into the video and removing them it took a while but just
starting the video took a while i had ti re learn things i forgot since last year and a huge
part of making this video readable i had to darken the image behind the lyrics using the
burn tool so that the lyrics in front of the photo were able to be read i put a lot of work into
i hope you enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERQTZcwfuk
jacob;-;

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brys W on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:52 am

The most recent piece that I completed.

I personally think this is my best piece so far. This piece is supposed to convey what it's like to feel the serene acceptance as you sink deeper into an "ocean" of your overwhelming emotions and recognize that it's a part of your life that you must deal with. The background contributes to the image because it creates a better illusion of sinking deeper into a seemingly endless and blue expanse of water. All images here were created by me, and me alone. I feel that this concept is original, as it is meant to be a personal conveyance of this feeling, and how it feels to me. The blue tint of everything contributes to the feeling of a sad kind of calmness. I made sure to illustrate the details of the hair floating above the head or the person, and the bubbles coming from their nose and mouth, like you would see from a real person underwater. I think that I learned more about how to make colors in the image work together with the colors in the background.
Brys W

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David E on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:54 am

1.)

this is the kind of stuff i've been doing the past week or so
2.)

3.)
I think the piece above is my strongest piece. I believe this because it helped me learn how to use text to contribute to the art. It also helped me to get better with effects on the text, like outer glow and drop shadow. I also thought that when I looked at it a little bit farther away, it looked a little better to me, showing that when you look at art far away, that it looks different than when you move closer. The colors contrast each other pretty nicely, I think. It's all my original work, except the song lyrics, which are from a the song "I Sat By the Ocean" by Queens of the Stone Age. I really enjoyed it.
David E

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh.B on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:02 am

From Last Week^

The piece is conveying the message to be unique. The background is one main color to make your eyes focus more on the foreground.
I think it's probably cliche more than an original concept. I learned Layer Masks with color when I worked on this piece. This piece isn't
that good but I learned a new skill.
Josh.B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dominiquenicole on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:17 am

What I worked on last week:

My best project:

This image is intended to convey that I had a very good childhood. The background is contributing to the image. Yes,all of the images are in my own creative work. I worked hard to edit the pictures and take high quality pictures. I believe that the concepts are original because I have never seen anyone create this type of project with the ideas that I used. The colors I used convey meaning because it shows that I had a relaxing childhood. The bear I used indicates that I used my bear to comfort me whenever I couldn't fall asleep. The swing indicates that I had some fun times in my childhood but as I grew up,there were some ups and downs but everything was sweet in the end. One creative technique I used was making the bear look like it is over the swing. I learned how to use the smudge tool, do layer masks, and put pictures inside of pictures.

dominiquenicole

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GriffinH on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:28 am

this is the project i worked on instead of the poster.

For this edit, I did a number of different things, and tried several different avenues of approach. The end product is a comic book aesthetic which I'm very happy with. While working on this, I not only had to experiment with different filters, but also along the way, had to edit the color balances and opacity percentages, in order to make sure all of the effects fit together nicely. My main focus for this edit wasn't actually even the filters and rendered effects, it was the physical appearance of the subject herself. I changed her hair volume, her eye color, her jawline and collarbone definition, as well as many other things. The background has also been turned to a dull, mostly monochromatic setting, to ensure it doesn't draw your eyes from the focus. Overall, the tactics I employed to mold this piece into what I wanted, I have found myself using in nearly every other project I've taken on.
GriffinH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine J on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:47 am

The design and the light bulb were both done last week.

† † Both posters that Iíve done for the Fall Ball and the Winter Wonderland were I felt were the best assignments Iíve done for this semester. In each design certain colors were used to match the theme of the poster. In Fall Ball I used a black background and dark purple to make it more Halloween like and the hot pink and brighter colors were added to make the design look more fun. In Winter Wonderland I used white, powder blue, and violet as the main colors to keep the winter theme. On the banner I chose make it have yellow-green to prevent the poster from looking depressing.

† † †With the pen tool and pencil props were added to match the design with the theme. Eyeballs and webs were put on the fall ball, while on the Winter Wonderland Dance snowflakes and snow where added. In each assignment the font for the text were played around with more. In each poster I have words that have more than one font to give it more cool effect. After creating the posters I learned more of how to create a design for a certain theme. My use of colors and font had gotten much better and Iíve gotten used to the pen tool a lot more.
Jasmine J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BaileyM on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:37 am

( a wip ( thats my new kitty by the way ;w; )

Well It was tough deciding the animated dog and this deer picture here we go.
The image well I didn't know what to feel people always knew me by fan art of colored horses, and i didn't want to be known for that i been trying to break out for a long time.When I was making this I felt so not confident of, if I can ever go to a decent college,or even have a future or will i be a artist who's on the street I worry a lot about my future. The background is contributing to the image to make it pop out using the white strokes behind it. The image is all my own I digitally painted it,I think its a bit cliche with art like this with a dear head from my head I think its original because of how i felt and to vent it out onto computer canvas. The colors, I think its a bit calming and from a dark blue to pink. I think the eyes show a bit of a futuristic short of feel like its a robot of some sort.The creative techniques used well this is going to blend with the next question,but For the first time i used grayscale painting where instead of using these colors i used from black to white using greys values to add a light source.Also This is the first photoshop painting i made using the brushes which i usually use paint tool sai they both are very different i learned how to use the brushes in photoshop i used a few of them on this one. Another thing †is that I learned how to use less color in a way,to have a theme I suppose. I felt like this one had a lot of meaning at the time and I really did enjoy making it even if it was a bit of a challenge. I gotten a lot of support making this so i feel kinda proud of it even if it does'nt look as natural as i wanted it too.

The reason why it was hard to decide between the dog and this was I learned a lot more with the dog about AE and how tweens work and to work quickly with a good result at the end to deal with transform and the keyframes.The dog is made out of layers so putting them all together is like a flash puppet but in AE. I may use something similar for this sort of thing to be working on rigs for flash animation.It helped me in 3 different departments and just it was a enjoyable experience.Even if it's simple i re visit a style i haven't used in awhile, the other two with my mascot shibaroll are going to be animated I've just been making the parts so i can move them in AE. I had a overwhelming support on the gif with 70+ notes(notifications of sharing or liking) which is a first for something with no fanart attached! People requested commissions of these I'll start my first one on Friday. I hope to do a lot more complicated movements on different characters.

I honestly don't know what is happening on this animation,team left,and the deadline is inching nearer and i'm kinda in a writing block I don't know if i can make it. I'm trying to think of a simple story that I can do by myself right now. Since it's been stressful the past few weeks.
I can't wait for Next semester!
BaileyM

View user profile http://orgin8.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan_S on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:35 am

This is something that I worked on over the week.

This is one of my best works.

This image is just to convey a feeling of peace The soft colors are intended to not strain the eyes and make it easy to look at. There is not much of a purpose to the creation of the piece, it was only created try and make a photo entirely out of mouse strokes and tools rather than a tablet. The background of the piece is only there for a neutral sense and to remove a blank canvas and isn't created to be too distracting or the focus of the piece. The images used in this piece is entirely original and created by my own hand and mouse. The idea behind this is original as well and wasn't made from something else I've seen. The mostly desaturated colors (exclude the grass) is used to keep a sense of calm in the photo. To create this picture, I used brushes pre-rendered leaf brushes to create the leaves and pre-rendered grass brushes to create the grass. For the fence, flowers, sticks, and clouds, I only used one of the simple brushes and drew everything out myself. When it was done, I used various effect to give it a posterized feeling to it to keep it minimalist. I learned a lot about layering and effects that I can use and what they do while I created this.
Megan_S

View user profile http://megasourusrex.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren S. on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:47 am

1.) What I worked on for the last week:

2.) My best work this semester:

† † †Between the yearbook cover and this typography, I had a hard time picking out which project was my favorite. I eventually settled on this one because I almost felt more free when doing it. It was fun to sort of "paint a picture" with words, and have colors and styles sum up the mood of the quote. I think it felt more fresh and original to me because when I read the quote I immediately got an image of what I wanted a poster to look like in my head, and I like when I can get it out on paper and see the finished project.
† † †In regards to this piece, I wanted the font to be simple, not anything too fancy because this is clearly not a deep, philosophical quote or anything. I made the background a dark, dull purple as a more depressing color since the quote doesn't exactly have a happy vibe behind it. The blue color is supposed to make the smaller, loopier text look like a drinking glass. The white text has varied font sizes and falls in a sloppy, all-over-the-place pattern to look like spilt milk.
† † †During this project I learned how to use text with the free form pentool, which was fun because the pentool is my favorite tool to use in photoshop. It makes drawings look really neat and clean.

Lauren S.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yasminthomas on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:50 am

1) I've been working on this slip last week

2)

3) I'd say this is my strongest piece. The piece is a poem "La Espero" by L.L. Zamenhof, the essential patron of Esperanto. The poem is iconic and is about the conquering of nationalism to form a global community founded in peace. The silhouette is that Lidia Zamenhof, his daughter. It being a silhouette is supposed to signify her death at the hand of the Holocaust, for being a Slav, a Jew, and a speaker of Esperanto (as it was believed by the Nazis to be a secret language used by Jews in order to over through the regime). Esperantists are much safer now, but the purpose is to inspire hope in Esperanto even through hardships that have been faced by discrimination in Spain, Japan, Russia, Germany, and elsewhere. The background is green and white, the Esperanto colors, representing hope and peace respectively, with white on top to give a peaceful ethereal look. This image required the use of paths, which surprisingly was a difficult technique for me to master, but I got around to it. I personally liked experimenting with a more minimal design and utilizing simpler elements and the distribution of space to give significance to peace.

yasminthomas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EmmaFrasier on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:51 am

Above is what I have been working on for the past week. It doesn't seem like much, but it took time because I accidentally merged the layer that had the outline and the layer of the background. I didn't realize at the time and I saved the file.

Above are 2 pieces that I believe are my best pieces. For the first one, it taught me a decent amount of the controls of Illustrator which I learned a lot from. As for the second one, I love the way it looks. I'm always coming up with different designs for monsters and I think this one turned out the best. These are all my own work, and I don't believe they conform to any sort of cliche. On both of these, the colors contrast well. For the techniques used, for the first one, I used the tool in Illustrator where it automatically smooths out the lines you create, and for the second one, I created an outline first like I do for most of the stuff I do and I filled it in with color. Overall, creating these two pieces has taught me a multitude of things, like different techniques to use and different tools that are available to me.
EmmaFrasier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LucusM on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:54 am

The top picture I did in my own time and i'm pretty proud of it. I wanted to try and make something in a different style then I would usually do and i think it turned out nicely. I've been working on the Winter Wonderland Poster for my last project, and I feel that it was my strongest piece. I tried relying less on the smudge tool for shading and instead use different colors to add dimension. I wanted the poster to have a nice, calm mood to it my having a peaceful snow scenery for help give the formal tone the Leadership Council was looking for. One thing I will say, however, was that I focused more on the design; then when it came time to insert the text, it was just put where ever it fit. I feel that it would have turned out even better if i tried to think ahead a little and make room for text; but when i had the idea, I started making it quickly before I lost my inspiration. I used some pictures for reference in both of these pictures, but everything was made by me in Photoshop.
LucusM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calebrose22 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:55 am

This the project that I have worked on for the past two weeks

This is got be my favorite and best piece of the semester. I did all that work myself with the lasso tool, pen tool, pencil tool, also the path pen tool to write the words. Instead of stealing them from the internet I wrote my own thing to have the wording get with the background of the picture to make it more real. I made sure to use the right color to write to blend in with the area I was writing on for example the continents were green so I decided to make the wording there green also but lighter so it gets blended with the object and so you can read it. I used the wording to describe how the earth works and also talked about the creatures living there. For the comet I could've put craters on it to make look realistic but the wording was the best. The wording looks like it's floating in space but I used the path pen tool to make a tail like comets have and have the words be the tail of the comet and it explains its journey through space which makes it perfect for the background. Space was with the others in which the planet and comet go through it so that had to be my background.
calebrose22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amberc on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:57 am

This is what I have been working on this past week. I was learning how to use the filters.

I think that the piece above is my best piece. I love how the colors convey emotions. The whole idea was meant to show diversity, it was a yearbook cover idea. I think that for the most part all the elements of the art piece work together. I am also pound of it because it is all my own original art. I am also happy with this piece because it helped me grow as an artist. I learned how to blend colors, for the ribbon and paint brush. I also learned how to use layer masks, for the silhouette.

amberc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tiffany M on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:18 am

The image is meant to convey a sense of mystery, mystical enchantment, and just a little bit of sadness and loneliness. Though i suppose that is up to the viewer of the picture. The dark blue is meant to signify that it is nighttime. The many tiny dots are stars and are meant to show that it is a night. If you look closely at the water, you may be able to see the little green lines at the bottom of the ocean. This is meant to be sea weed. All the artwork inside of this piece are of my own creation. There are maybe a few cliches in this picture, such as the blacked out silhouette with the glowing eye. But i would like to believe that everything else is relatively original. I used a lot of opacity and overlaying to give a glowing feel to a lot of the picture to add to the sparkling effect. I learned how to make a full and meaning full composition.

This video is meant to convey the heated struggle for 3 protagonists as they brave the sandy lands of the desert. A scene that shall be in the final version of the game. The bright colors are meant to show that not only is it day time, but it is also very bright. i believe that the background adds to the effect. All the images in the video were made by me. I believe that it does not rely on cliches.
The appearance of the over heated protagonists are meant to also convey that it is very hot where they are.
I played around and experimented with timeline (which was actually quite helpful), and I also experiment with the gradient tool and i believe that both help the picture rather well. And i am happy to say that i grown to gain a better understanding of how to use animation in photoshop. Especially the timeline. It was a life saver.

Tiffany M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindy M on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:26 am

1) The work i did last week

2)

3)

These 2 projects were my strongest this semester. The first one was suppose to convey a happy mood with the bright colors. The quote "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" is by Dr.Seuss. I liked making it because it taught me how to make typography and it was fun to make. I used the pen tool for the clouds and the sun and i typed the words in those layers. Doing this project made me feel more comfortable using the pen tool. The second piece was very frustrating to make but i learned a lot from making it. I made the words in Photoshop and i after i made the pathway and the animation through Aftereffects. This projects wasn't really suppose to convey any type of mood.
Lindy M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sarahj on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:32 am

What I worked on the week before finals...

my best work last semester.

I consider this piece to be my best work because, in creating this piece, I felt most creative, but also a great challenge. Because it was such a challenge, I didn't turn this particular piece in on time. However, that did not stop me from completing the task anyway. When creating this poster, I wanted to depict what a Halloween/fall ball would look like without many cliches. The children dressed in costumes were meant to represent the teenagers of Arts Academy in the Woods, going to the fall ball. As dressing up was optional, I wanted to show that it would be somewhat more fun to dress up for the occasion through this picture. The small house that everyone is walking towards in the image, represents the school and how small it is. The fall woods and trees, represent two things. One, the second part of the school name (in the woods), and two, the season the ball took place in. Hence the title 'fall ball'. I also wanted to create this image of a cartoon world to give the poster a fun, easygoing look, because dances are meant to be fun, not serious. With the setting being in the woods at night, it showed that the dance would take place at night, and gave the poster a bit of a mystical feel, in my opinion. Positioning the image just below the information as I did, helped the audience who would see it, be able to read the information and be drawn to the image below it. To help the image blend, I made sure the text of the information were a similar color to the trees.

One thing I learned last semester, was that contrast, when putting text into an image, is very important. I demonstrate use of that by making the information in the poster a bright color, in contrast to the dark purple sky. I also learned that the perspective of the poster's image is very important when it comes to drawing in an audience. Which is why I set the image at an angle where the audience would somehow feel as though they're right above the event as it is happening, positioning the title right above it so is not to interfere with the immersion. Finally, for the entire piece, I used nothing but a soft round brush thirty tool to color the entire image in photoshop. This tool enabled me to create a softer, sort of watercolor painting effect. It also allowed the different shades of purple, in the sky, fade nicely. For some parts of the picture, I lowered the opacity to further help the fading effect I was going for.

This piece was not only my best work, but it was also the most challenging of my pieces. Often, during creation of this work, I'd find myself starting over completely. Mainly because I struggled with ideas for the assignment. In order to avoid cliche symbols, I found myself thinking and re-thinking for 'outside-the-box' ideas. Looking for things that would symbolize the event in the best way, without it confusing the audience. Eventually, I found those ideas and put them together to create this image. I feel that in order for something to be your best work, it must be somewhat challenging, and show how you conquered that challenge. This image showed that the most and that is why I call it my best work.
sarahj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:27 am

Grades are in.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bhayes on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:50 am

I chose these 3 works because i enjoyed making them, for these reasons for the 1st one i chose it as one my strongest works because it came out better then i was expecting it to.Also I was able to use some new techniques i found in the gradient tool. As for my 2nd piece that was a poster design for the Winter Wonderland Dance I chose this piece because i was able to use a new paint brush that i customized myself. For the last piece Its not completed yet but I still chose it because I used both the new brush i developed and the new gradient i learned and its coming out really well so far.

bhayes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top