Assignment 1: Research on Painting due Feb 2

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 1: Research on Painting due Feb 2

Post  Admin on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:04 am

Select a painting created before 1970 that has at least one person in it. Link the image here and answer the questions about it.

Using complete sentences in a paragraph format, identify:
1. The painter
2. The title of the painting
3. When it was painted
4. The historical art movement it was part of, and characteristics of the art movement
5. The artist's general subject matter
6. The major element of design and principle of design that you see in the painting. Don't just write a word like "color." Give me an explanation of where you see the element/principle within the painting. 

Grading: 3 points 
2 points for inclusion of each required item listed above
1 point for writing style (spelling, grammar, paragraph format)

If you are new this semester, your alternate assignment is to take any photo, upload it to the school computer, resize it in photoshop to no more than 600 pixels tall or wide, and post it to the forum.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 1: Research on Painting due Feb 2

Post  JordanA on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:35 pm

The painter that has painted this wonderful masterpiece is known as Edvard Munch. The title of the painting that I'm researching is called "The Scream". This painting was painted in the year of 1893. This painting was apart of the Expressionist movement. The Expressionist movement's typical characteristic was to present the world soley from a subjective perspective, distorting it radically for emotional effect in order to evoke moods or ideas. This artist is typically fond of making paintings and he even strived as much to do a poetry as he was inspired by various portraits of people. In the painting I seem to have noticed a lot of curves and strokes throughout this painting, it's really a weird way of describing screaming or intense emotions in my opinion but I guess it is what it is, and I'm not hating on this painting either these are just my opinions.
JordanA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sam s. on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:08 pm

The painting I've chosen is Girl with a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer, made in 1665. This piece was apart of the Baroque art movement. It was a reaction against the complex and intricate style that dominated the Late Renaissance. The painting is a girl with a headscarf and a pearl earring. Since this is supposed to be more simplistic, so nothing stands out too much, which is good for a painting like this. I don't know why but the headscarf stands out the most to me, maybe because it's just very well done and I'm fascinated that people can do that.
sam s.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GinaK on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Meisje_met_de_parel.jpg

The Dutch painter goes by the name Johannes Vermeer. The title of the painting is "Girl with a Pearl Earring."
It was painted in 1665. It was part of the Baroque movement. The Baroque movement's characteristics followed mannerism and characterized by ornate detail.  The artist was a master of chiaroscuro and realism painting. What I noticed is that the painting has very bold colors. The shadows are very dark and what seems to be 'lighting' makes the colors very bold. If that makes any sense.
GinaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  emilyp on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:30 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Johannes_Vermeer_(1632-1675)_-_The_Girl_With_The_Pearl_Earring_(1665).jpg
The painting I selected is The Girl with a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer. It was painted in 1665. The painting was part of the Dutch Golden Age movement. The Dutch Golden Age Movement is known for detailed realism. Johannes Vermeer painted mostly domestic interior scenes and also painted mostly women. The painting seems minimalistic; there’s not a lot going on in the background, it’s just a painting of a girl. The painting looks cracked and kind of grainy. It has mostly neutral colors.

emilyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan_findley on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:33 pm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiBx4GBptfKAhWkw4MKHTtyAn4QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metmuseum.org%2Fexhibitions%2Fview%3Foid%3D497127&psig=AFQjCNHUkRZDaxmvnM8oDSn6JnMQAClltA&ust=1454440886607649

the painter was picasso. the title of the painting is Head of a Woman (Study for "Nude with Drapery"). it was painted Paris, 1907.(Study for "Nude with Drapery") during his african period. he painted portraits of others. i see a women that is very skinny, starved or a slave of sorts
ryan_findley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny W. on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:35 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Saying_Grace,_Norman_Rockwell.jpg

This particular painting was called Saying Grace, by Norman Rockwell. This individual painting wasn't created during any major historical movements, although the inspiration came from Rockwell observing a Mennonite family saying grace in a local diner. Rockwell typically paints portraits of individuals without any context of who they are. There's the element of complication and detail within simplicity, because looking at the painting there is much detail work done to it, but the context of the painting is very simplistic, just a family saying grace within a diner, preparing for their meal.
Jonny W.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gracew on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:37 am

The Mona Lisa painting was painted by Leonardo Da Vinci in 1503-1517 and is a renaissance piece. It was part of the “High Renaissance” movement. I like this pieces color choice, it keeps certain colors such as different shades of oranges and keeps a color theme that makes the painting soothing to look at with no colors clashing against each other.
gracew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyM on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:46 am

Alternate Work

RileyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Alternate Work

Post  alannadavis on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:53 am

alannadavis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TessaS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:03 am

I chose Made in Japan - La Grande Odalisque, which was painted by Martial Raysse. He was part of the Nouveaux Réalistes movement. The main characteristics of this movement was that they tried to change the way that they painted reality into a new perspective. They attempted to reassess the concept of art. He used bright colors in his realism paintings to make them more like pop art. He also didn't use all the basic rules of realism such as the girl in the painting only has one eye.

TessaS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  haleyg on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:07 pm

the painter is Edward hopper.The tittle if the painting is the chop suey. It was painted in 1929. It was apart of the twentieth century art movement that occurred in america and Britain. the twentieth century art movement was Fauvism in Paris introduced heightened non-representational colour into figurative painting.
Edward choices of subject matter was mainly the places and landscapes he painted. the major element design was two women sitting at a restaurant or cafe. but the two women are wearing similar hats. they are surrounded by oranges and browns.

haleyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaitlyna on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:10 pm

My painting is by Marie Hull, and is called Flamingos. It was painted in 1925. It was done in Florida while she resided there. Hull mostly did paintings of other people, but there are some others. In the painting there are vines you can see hanging down in the background,  and the colors are very vibrant compared to some of her other paintings.

http://mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us/images/637.jpg

Last edited by Kaitlyna on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaitlyna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexisRC on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:12 pm

The painter of the Mona Lisa was Leonardo Da Vinci. This was painted between the years 1503- 1506, but some believe it was extended to the year 1517 until it was completely finished. This was painted during the Renaissance Art movement, it was a cultural rebirth that took place mostly in Italy between the 14th-17th centuries. Da Vinci was best known for his inventions, painting, sculpting, architecture, science, music, and mathematics, When he painted he mostly painted portraits of people. The thing about the painting I find the most interesting is the contrast between the background and foreground , I like the choice of colors as well because they blend together well and make the painting look more surreal.

AlexisRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Will123 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:29 pm

The painter and piece I chose for this project was Jacques-Louis David and his famous painting The Emperor Napoleon in His Study at the Tuileries. Jacques created this painting in 1812 and is part of Neoclassicism. David created mostly pictures of people. This painting shows that Napoleon was a great leader and known by everyone.
Will123

Location : Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYlNxs_wDW4oFIdkx2WVPzA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lancev on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:52 pm

http://ibay.li/product.php?productid=17342

The painting I chose is on e of Andy Warhol's paintings of Marilyn Monroe. The year of the painting is 1962-1967. The art movement is the Pop Art movement. The subject of this painting is actually a tribute to Marilyn after she died in 1962. The element of design is I would probably have say color, shape, and contrast.
lancev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ALternate Work

Post  YasmineT on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:59 pm

YasmineT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

alternate work

Post  EnchanteeW on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:04 pm

EnchanteeW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment - Painting Research

Post  IkalanniJ on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Morning,_Interior_-_Luce.jpeg

The artist of this piece is Maximilien Luce and the tile of the painting is Morning Interior. The date of the painting was in 1890 - the movement the piece it was the, as you might have already guessed, the Pointillism movement. This movement was a rather rare one, only being worked with by very few artists during the time. It was a form of Impressionism – it’s similar to Divisionism, but instead it focuses on brushwork. Pointillism was also said to influence Fauvism. Luce was known mostly for his Neo-impressionism work, but was also known to be involved in engravings, graphic art, and illustrations. The painting itself works with a variety of colors – lighter tints used to make highlights and the shades used to make the shadows. The color pallet also focuses on the complimentary colors red and green – both of which stick out a lot more than all the other colors. The environment is very warming.
IkalanniJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alexisb on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:16 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Close#/media/File:Chuck_Close_1.jpg

My painter is Chuck Close and the painting I've chose is "Mark". "Mark" was painted in 1978-1979. The painting was apart of the photorealism Historical Movement. The characteristics of photorealism was coined in reference to those artists whose work depended heavily on photographs, which they often projected onto canvas allowing images to be replicated with precision and accuracy. Chuck Close general subject matter was to explore how methodical, system-driven portrait painting based on photography's underlying processes could suggest a wide range of artistic and philosophical concepts. The major element of design and principle in my picture is the acrylic he used in the picture for the eye. It makes the picture look realistic, as if it were taken with a camera and not painted. Chucks painting is of camera taken pictures. The colors he use aren't to dark nor to light.

alexisb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  waynec on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:17 pm

Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Meisje_met_de_parel.jpg

The painter of this picture name is Johannes Vermeer. The title of the painter is "Girl with a Pearl Earring."
It was painted in 1665. The painting was restored in 1960, and again in 1994-1995 when a special gallery was constructed to allow visitors to see the restoration in progress. During the latter restoration, research established that the background had been painted in a glossy translucent green over a black under paint. The artist was a master of chiaroscuro and realism painting. What I noticed is that the painting it don't have a background like the other ones. The shadows are very dark and what seems to be 'lighting' makes the colors very bold. that blod and pop out color and not 2D but make it look like a 3D picture.

waynec

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  indiad on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:24 pm

http://media2.fdncms.com/sfweekly/imager/the-first-grail-by-margaret-keane/u/zoom/3330817/art1-keane.jpg

The name of the painter is Margaret Keane. Her beautiful painting is called The First Grail and it was created in the 1960s as a part of the "Big Eye Movement". Keane generally paints people which allows her major element of design to be very detailed in the background explaining why the eyes of the people are so big.

indiad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenZ on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 am

The creator of this beautiful piece was Grant Wood. The name of this piece is called American Gothic and was made in the 1930 at Arts institute of Chicago. This piece was a big cultural icon and was comparable at the same level as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa and Edvard Munch's The Scream.It was assumed the painting was meant to be a satire of repression and narrow-mindedness of rural small-town life. It was seen as part of the trend toward increasingly critical depictions of rural America.I like the pallet of colors that were used a made it feel like the two people in the painting stand out but still have you noticing the surrounding.

StephenZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alannadavis on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:44 am

Rene Magritte painted a series called The Lovers. This painting is the second of that series and was done in 1928. It seems as if he approaches the historical art movement of surrealism in this piece; he covers the faces of the lovers so they cannot see each other though they are kissing which gives the viewer the opportunity to use their imagination which was a main goal of surrealism. He uses oil on canvas to depict the aforementioned subject matter. Rene uses a dull background so that the lovers stand out; the room behind the subjects consist of three colors and three angles drawing the eye to the subjects instead of a busy room behind them. Instead of using specific elements of design to stand out, he uses a culmination of them to pull at the psyche of the viewer. He uses soft textures throughout the photo and values close in range to the subjects while maintaining balance in the background. Magritte painted The Lovers II in order to stir the imagination of his viewers.

alannadavis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Merp

Post  Emonie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:45 am

Margaret Keane, a 60’s pop artist, who’s known for her paintings called Big Eyes is who I chose. She painted mostly children with big eyes. I chose the painting Happy Mask Unhappy Boy made in 1963. She made the Big Eyes to show her emotions from pure happiness to innocence to deep sorrow.
Emonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top