Assignment 3: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Feb 11

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 3: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Feb 11

Post  Admin on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:48 am

After watching the Chris Jordan Ted Talk video, post a response that includes:
a. A paragraph of your thoughts about his artwork - either from the video or his website
b. A paragraph about another activist artist, including their name and a description in your own words of their artistic style and at least one of their artworks. (Don't copy/paste from the internet - that is plagiarism, and will earn you a zero on the entire assignment!)

Grading: 2 points possible
1 point: thoughts about Jordan's art
1 point: research and description about additional activist artist

Alternate work for students who are new this semester: You can do this project if you want, or you can post your work from the healing brush/foot prints assignment from first semester.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 3: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Feb 11

Post  LanceWilliams on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 pm

LanceWilliams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reaction

Post  sam s. on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:27 pm

My first thoughts on this was that it was a fairly generic way to go about it. Many people seem to take issues like this and put some sort of twist on it and then show how big of an issue it really is. But, he was able to put some sort of twist that wasn't very generic and was able to show how big issues are in a creative way (ex. the cigarette and skeleton piece, the breast surgery one). It felt a bit repetitive, with just him repeating the same thing over and over again, but some of the objects were clever (ex. the barbie dolls).

For my activist artist, I have chosen Rebecca Belmore. She does photography, but her style seems to have a lot of fabric involved. She works mainly with women and nothing is the same, unless it comes in a set. It all has a very tribal vibe to it and provokes thought with use of different items and objects that are placed within the photo. I also see a lot of different uses of horns within her photos.
sam s.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny W. on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Jordan's art was a new view on some of the issues that America is currently facing, I personally thought that the bigger picture that all the smaller details led up to was fantastic, kind of like an author keeping the reader in suspense until they finally expressed what the big picture was supposed to be of. Another Activist is Shirin Neshat, an Islamic woman who took photos for her series "Women of Allah". This was between 1993 and 1995, and it shows shots of Iranian women holding guns and covered by Chadors under the muslim law of Hijab. Its also important to note many Western viewers reinforced the image of hostility towards it since 9/11, even though these photos and series were taken and made six to eight years before 9/11 even took place.
Jonny W.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GinaK on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Reaction to Jordan: His piece was crafted beautifully. To some this may have had a big impact while to some this may not have been. We have been dealing with these situations for years and yet nothing has changed. (EX: The smoking piece) Some are possible to stop such as the breast surgeries and numbers of prisoners. As an artist some have made me thought that it could be changed, but others can't. The pill piece slightly bothered me knowing a family member who was once addicted to them.

Another activist artist: Keith Haring, he had made a piece about society and how we are mind numbing to commercials. Our life is all about advertisement. His art is very simplistic with a pop art look to it. Sometimes his art is very bold with colors while some are just black and white.

Link to picture: http://a2.files.biography.com/image/upload/c_limit,cs_srgb,dpr_1.0,h_2500,q_75,w_2500/MTIwNjA4NjMzNjExMDYwNzQ4.jpg
GinaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment

Post  IkalanniJ on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 pm

Overall, I think the whole video was pretty interesting. I found it cool that he talked about a lot of issues that still exist in the US today. Lately, I haven’t really been keeping up with politics and the society, but while watching the video, I found that I probably should keep up with it. I mean this in a sense of acknowledging what’s happening around me and participating in things that I believe is right – whether it’s a rally or a survey online. Also, while watching the video, I noticed that he has a very nice sense of organizing his pieces, especially with the prison uniforms; I liked that one the best.

I’m not too sure on if this artists is an activist artist overall, but finding some of their work on a website for activist artist, it seems that they have some work to contribute to the cause. Helen R Klebesadel is a watercolor artists that focuses on still lives, textures, and realism. Their art style is very realistic and colorful – all or most of their pieces having at least some sort vibrancy to it. For their activist work, I was drawn to one called “Save the Bees”. The painting itself doesn’t particularly focus on a sort of problem relating to issues regarding bees, but one side of the painting is more red than the other, resembling blood.
IkalanniJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaireG on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:48 pm

His way of showing the problems in the world is with statistics. The world has many issues, and he counts all of them for sure. The numbers, 2.3 million in jail, all in a row one after another, really just shows you how big the problem really is. All the cups stacked up 3 times higher than the statue of Liberty is eye opening, and yet sorrowful when you realize that's only one day. That happens everyday and goes unnoticed, without him that is.

Stephen Duncombe has over two decades of teaching and organizing art. He has a PhD in Sciology, he graduated from New York University in the city, and worked there for a while too. His art is books, writing, and organizing events to 'take back the streets.' He wishes to fix politics and change the way we treat people.
ClaireG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  christianAK on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:20 pm

I think his video was very informational. Although he was very repetitive about certain subjects i found the numbers he had pretty interesting. I feel like he could have gone about it in a less boring way. I did learn something new though. The most interesting thing to me was the 1,100 people that die every single day just from smoking.

Keith Haring. One of the things that stood out most from him, was his ability to reach out to people very clearly, directly, and quickly through his symbols. One of his amazing pieces of art that go unnoticed is called Haring's 1982 Statue of Liberty.

christianAK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

reaction

Post  tezoback on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:23 pm

I think that what he was talking about was some what okay in the reason i say this is because, so people dont care about how they live or even what they have to say. Also what he did with the cups was a little bit cool and the reason i say that is because, some people that i know really dont care about how they look. also sometime people wound't care about going to jail they would just do the time or have money to get them out. also if you really want to know i dont care about the video like that but he had a point.

tezoback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reaction

Post  HayleyW on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:25 pm

The video was pretty interesting and had some good information that was a bit surprising. I liked his way of showing today's problem's in the U.S through art and photographs, through a few of them surprised me a little (Ex: the Barbie doll's). I would never think that breast surgery was a popular graduating gift for teen girls and the number is staggering high, making it a problem. Also with the number's of those in jail is a bit of a problem, but some of these can be prevented. It's troubling, seeing all of these things go unnoticed by the common people, and  no one is doing anything about it! (Ex: number of smokers). If it was not for him, some of these problems probably would not have been known about.

HayleyW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TessaS on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:38 am

One of the first things that I thought when I saw Chris Jordan's TED Talk was that everything was very repetitive. Sure, it was supposed to about statistics and the pieces were supposed to be small things repeated over and over again to make an image, but all of it seemed to be kinda generic. The two that weren't as generic were the barbie doll piece and the "Skull With Cigarette" piece. The rest were just using what was the problem and repeating it, and I feel that he could have been more creative.

The activist artist that I chose was Banksy. Banksy does a lot of graffiti work that is very industrialized. He takes what would be "normal" graffiti that you could see in any city and adds a twist to it that sends a message.

TessaS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gracew on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:38 am

Chris Jordan's work is a very unique and strong way to express the world's problems. He takes the statistics of today's problems and turns it into art that  is easier to people to understand. I have found another activist artist by the name of Keith Haring that turns political problems into art and was able to "communicate very directly, very immediately through his chosen symbols."
gracew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sand

Post  TessaS on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:47 am

TessaS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reaction

Post  alannadavis on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:57 am

Chris Jordan is a brilliantly creative artist who presents important issues and facts throughout his pieces. In the video we got to see and learn about pieces from his "Running the Numbers" project. In this project he spoke out through images about how much we use things, how many deaths occur from certain things, etc. Another project of his, "Midway", depicts the corpses of birds filled with our litter that ultimately caused their demise. I wouldn't say that he is an social artist which is what some would argue because he doesn't affect the change, but he is an activist artist seeing as he presents the issues. Though Jordan falls under one of those artist categories, his artwork still falls under both and it is astounding.

Pawel Kuczynski is another brilliant activist artist. Pawel tends to have satirical artwork but its less ridiculing than most of that style and instead can speak volumes to a viewer on social issues. Many of his illustrations have to do with social media such as the image of people on their devices depicted with zombie like features. His other illustrations touch on war or abuse of certain cultures such as the Chinese. Pawel opens our eyes so that we can see our mistreatment with certain things. He differs from Jordan though because his statements are more obvious; his artwork screams louder to us.

{I will also be posting my alternate work below}

alannadavis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Emonie on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:16 am

Jordan’s work hits home for with some of his art work. The one that really hit home for me was the cigarettes one. I hope that one day his art will become more popular as the years carry on. His art work may enlighten many people and make them see their narrow mindedness.

Frank D. Robinson Jr. is an art activist. His art addressed people’s personal pain. Whether it’s mental or physical. He’s a little unusual though. He didn’t use paint too much he used trash to make his art. He’s a person who didn’t like to wallow in self-pity so he picked up some trash and made out his feelings. With his award winning piece of art “Trust Your Struggle” he started his way to the top.
Emonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessd on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:19 am

I think it's interesting how Chris Jordan's work takes a look at common issues in a different perspective. My favorite example of this is how he looked at body image issues with women who used plastic surgery to make themselves larger (the breast augmentation barbie doll piece), instead of the opposite view many artists and activists take. I also particularly like his pieces that form a larger picture relating to the topic. (the cigarette packs forming the Van Gogh painting, etc.).

The other activist artists I have chosen are the Guerrilla Girls: an anonymous group of female artists fighting against racism and sexism in the art world. Their style is very minimalist and sometimes has a pop art feel. Their most famous work comments on the lack of female artists featured in the Met and this piece represents wage inequality in the art world.
jessd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Chris Jordan, Distant Cousin of Michael Jordan

Post  josephc on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:51 pm

I felt as if Chris Jordan's artwork was not powerful on its own. The stats make one consider how small they are in the world, but I did not feel significantly affected by his work. I don't believe the art could stand on its own and if I had no knowledge of the facts I would not be interested at all. Another artist/activist is Brother Nut. He is a China based contemporary artist who focuses in performance art. Currently, he is most known for his work of constructing a brick out of the pollution in China's air. He walked around the streets with a vacuum and constructed the bag's collection of smug into a solid brick.
josephc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  angiep on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:59 pm

I think that the video was very interesting. I think more people will pay attention to this kind of art work, and I think more people will understand an amount if they see it, rather than just hear a number. I like how he is showing problems in America that maybe affecting you or someone you know. I think this definitely helps kids understand important issues to. I think that his art work has a great purpose behind it. And when you look at it, it helps you realize how much a problem is effecting the world.  Corita Kent is also an art activist, she is also a nun, Corita Kent's work reflects the Immaculate Heart commitment to dignity, and justice for all. There is now an art center named after her.

Last edited by angiep on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
angiep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  haleyg on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:06 pm

I think that his artwork give every body throughout the united states problems that america faces everyday. also that these problems we face are important and that these issues effect people everyday. also people lose there life because of these issues because nobody wants to try and take care of these problems.

Keith haring was the other activist artist i had found. he does art about social issues such as racial issues and the amount of income that makes people have less equality about the amount of money they take in each day, week, month etc. he tried to communicate through his art work to the problems that we face everyday and how you would have never thought that these problems effected so many people. also how we need to solve these problems about racial issues and the amount of people that are not being treated equal because of how much income they get.

haleyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexisRC on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:22 pm

My first reactions to Chris Jodan's Ted talk video was "why is he talking about this stuff?" Then he showed us representations of the stuff he was talking about with creative and photographic pictures, some examples being the plastic cup picture, and the recreation of the famous painting with smaller pictures of cigarette packets. He was trying to show us how big the numbers are for each main or tragic event he represented in his pictures. I like the way he recreates problems in the world, into works of art, and I believe his art can influence our thoughts and the way we look at the world.
                 Another art activist I find interesting is Milos Rajkovic. He is an antiwar activist who mainly does art in gif form. one of his coolest pieces i've seen so far would have to be all of them... I have no words to describe it...
just click on the link, and you'll know what I mean.

http://giphy.com/sholim

AlexisRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Camryns on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:34 pm

My thoughts on Chris Jordan's work is that it illustrated the truth of things people really don't take the time to think about. Yes most people already know these facts, but Jordan's work really showed the audience what it really looks like. For example, know one really ever thinks about the amount of paper cups being used on an airplane, but the picture of all those paper cups being used a day- without even being recycled- makes you see how wasteful the action really is.
  The activist artist that I chose is Vik Muniz. Muniz is a Brazilian artist/photographer who uses all types of materials to complete his artwork. The materials that he usually uses include diamond, sugar, thread, chocolate syrup, and even garbage to create iconic pieces of art. I think Muniz artistic style is beautiful for the simple fact that he tries to use any and everything and turn it into something wonderful. I also like the fact that he tries to capture the beautiful nature of the world and put it into his art.

Camryns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JordanA on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:35 pm

So my basic reaction to Chris Jordan's video wasn’t really a reaction at all to be honest for the most part. His artwork is really astounding, like for real this is amazing! During the video I was kind of surprised about hearing 1,100 people die every day in America due to smoking which is really sad. I was awestruck, but when the video was near conclusion it started to get really dull, and repetitive even. The artwork with the cigarettes was really impressive by any means necessary too. The thing that I really like about his art is that he uses things like cigars, and mashes a lot of them up together into this huge mix of art. Overall the video was really informative and what not. That's pretty much all I have to say about this.

Another activist artist I would love to talk about is Michael Thompson. He’s a graphic designer who has done art for things such as social issues having awareness brought towards them. The artist said himself that he strives to use his creativity for positive change, and peace activism too. One of his amazing pieces was a poster he made for the “Green bay Massacre” in Jamaica way back in 1978.
JordanA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alexisb on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Chris Jordan art work describes problems in the world. He uses the problem and turn it into art. His work is unique and different from other artistes. In ways he kind of brings awareness to the situations he feel are unaware to people. He uses other people work within his work sometimes, but he’s sure to give them credit. Chris Jordan uses a lot of objects to make his work. It’s not just a simple painting or drawing. His work consists of the same object used more than once to make one thing.
The activist artist I chose was Michael Thompson. Michael is a Jamaican with the style of a graphic designer based on the Unite States. He does it from his view of things so it considered free minded by some. http://www.graphicart-news.com/michael-thompson-the-artist-without-borders-speaks-about-his-creativity-for-positive-change-and-peace-activism/#.VrzXuPkrLcs this paining to me is about hiding from your fears and problems. Michael is trying to encourage people to tell others the truth and live a free non-guilty relieved life.

alexisb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  waynec on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:28 pm

My reaction on Chris Jordan: His art is different and didn't know it was like that how he draw pictures and do picture and really into whats going on what he drawing. I was shocked on how many cups people use every day cause when i use cups i use like 6 cups by myself and not counting the rest of the family.

Andy Goldsworth

He is a British sculptor. He say his hands are tools he use it when its winter. He make a Sculpture that have to do with snow fall he work with leafs. He different cause he use his surroundings and not any other things or tools its either snow to leafs to flowers.

waynec

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shacaipittman1 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Shacai Pittman
February 10, 2016
Digital Imaging I

Chris Jordan Reflection

Chris Jordan’s presentation was very interesting. I found his work very intriguing considering he used statistics to create a deeper image.  I am very fond of artist who like to dig deeper and deliver a message that people can interpret differently. His presentation was based in the present times about societal views on happiness. Jordan’s Barbie artwork was depressing as he includes facts about yearly breast augmentation. Even though his work was a bit cliché, Chris Jordan’s work is very influential and creative.

Another interesting artist, Ian Francis, whose work is both abstract and figuration, has many talented works.  Ian Francis was born in 1979 in Bristol, England, and graduated from the University of the West of England with a degree in Illustration. He leans more to the pop culture side and creates great landscapes within a picture. No doubt, his works provide vivid socially conscious works such as emotions about violence or sex.

Shacaipittman1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top