Assignment 3: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Feb 11

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

part 2 reaction

Post  tezoback on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Frank D. Robinson Jr. is an art activist. His art addressed people’s personal pain. Whether it’s mental or physical. He’s a little unusual though. He didn’t use paint too much he used trash to make his art. He’s a person who didn’t like to wallow in self-pity so he picked up some trash and made out his feelings. With his award winning piece of art “Trust Your Struggle” he started his way to the top.

tezoback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 3: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Feb 11

Post  StephenZ on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 am

Jordan's way of showing art was a lot different then many other artist i've seen around. He is very creative with his work and do things that some people would probably not think possible. Its still crazy how many years ago that video is and how it is probably still up to date or the art he made it on just got worst. The way he did things were creative and the way he presented were even better.

Keith Haring was a more popular activist artist and now has some of his own pieces in museums across the world. Keith Haring was a big aids activist and tried to show people the danger of it. Keith was creative with his with similar to Jordan, Keith made most of his art is subways stations or just places around the city. Keith Haring sadly died to aids at the age of 31 but most of his art is still around and praised.
StephenZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  emilyp on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:57 pm

I think Chris Jordan’s artwork is very interesting and creative. It’s cool how a large number of pieces are used to create one whole piece. There’s important meaning behind his art. He creates his art to show people what’s happening in America regarding health, the environment, and education. I think his artwork is a creative way to capture people’s attention to get them to start to see the things happening in America.

The activist artist I chose is Sue Coe. Her artwork is dark, direct, and true. She is an animal rights artist. Her art shows that people will do anything, including slaughter millions of innocent animals, for financial gain. One of her art pieces is called “Butcher to the World” and shows a man holding bloody money bags on top of a hill of slaughtered animals, showing people’s cruelty and greed.

emilyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cameron b on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:03 am

1. I am amazed with the amount of people that suffer/do these terrible things but this particular artist decided to raise awareness of this to everyone through art and made it so that people can decide not to do these things to themselves and prevent it from happening to others.

2. The artist i chose is Vinstent van gogh because of his beutiful artwork of furniture landscapes and his most famous work named starry night which i have loved since i was a kid and his artistic talent that swirls the landscape to make an image appelable to the eye and entertains people
cameron b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaitlyna on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:45 pm

I really liked how he showed all of those statistics in his artwork. It really helped to show how much of that really happens. The one that really interested me, was the jail one. I had never known about that until I saw his work on it. I really don't think many people would know about these problems without his artwork.

The activist I found was Coco Fusco. She has been in a couple of performances, like "The Last Wish (El Ultimo Deseo)" which was about the death and repatriation of exiled Cubans. Coco herself played a woman standing under a black light, surrounded by white flowers in the shape of a coffin, to symbolize the passing of her grandmother.

Another is "Rights of Passage." This one was about the themes of race and apartheid. Fusco wore a security personnel uniform. She handed out South African handbooks. During the apartheid days, the Afrikaner government made black Africans carry around handbooks to show when they entered white areas.

Kaitlyna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  indiad on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:42 pm

I thought Jordan's work was extremely creative. I thought that it made it seem very real how serious issues like smoking, wasting bottles by throwing them away, etc. I don't think that a lot of people think about how wasteful we can be and how much we could conserve our resources. We often take our socioeconomic status for granted and tend to be wasteful just because we don't deem it as important as other issues in the world.
The activist artist group that I chose is called Kern County Homeless Collaborative. They create artwork about their experiences being homeless and how people who are privileged enough to have a home would be.

indiad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lancev on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:47 pm

A. I really thought his artwork was interesting. I like how he made a bid image out of small things so it makes the viewer get up close to actually look at what the piece was made out of. All of the statistics he based his art off of is really interesting and it really makes a person think about things that need/could be changed in the world
B. I think Banksy is another activist artist. I like some of the messages his art can give people. One thing Banksy made that i really like is called "No Future" ( http://www.stencilrevolution.com/photopost/2013/04/No-Future-Girl-Balloon-by-Banksy.jpg ). I really enjoy the realistic stencil art he does
lancev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brandonp on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:53 am

i think Chris Jordan work to me brings some old school vibe to it but its has that futuristic look to it some stuff he had id never seen before that looked amazing and some stuff i have similar things like it but it seemed like he put his own funk to it
brandonp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KimberD on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Chris Jordan Reaction
I found the video to be quite interesting because his art and his topics were far from superficial.  If art doesn't mean anything, what's the point?  I appreciate and admire his drive and motivation to make a difference in the world.  I found it exceptionally impressive because i had never heard about activist artists until now.
Artist Activist Research
Activist artist, Sue Williams creates art that challenges feminine ideals and topics such as sexuality and gender.  She aims to communicate important messages through her art such as mistrust and denial.  She also includes stories of personal abuse.
KimberD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hannahm on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:33 pm

I thought that Chris Jordan's art is a creative way to express issues in society. It makes people think about troubling topics through artistic photos which makes it more memorable. It was baffling to see some of the statistics (like the barbie dolls) but after a while it got repetitive and boring. Overall I think It's a fantastic way to get people to think.

JR is a photographer that expresses society's current events and problem (ex. conflict against women) through his artistic photographs.

hannahm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

i love soulja boy

Post  shaquoryh on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:38 pm

The Chris Jordan Video was very interesting and i liked it. Although the pictures don't speak for themselves, without the explanation behind them i feel like i wouldn't know what the paintings were about. The paintings really tied into today's world and actually made since in the world today. The paintings can really interact with young people who have to grow up in this world, to live with those numbers.

The Artist that I researched is Titus Kaphar, and the painting i liked most is his "1968/2014" painting. It is a painting for Black Lives Matter. This shows in 1968 blacks were holding their hands up in fist with the black panthers but in 2014 they are holding their hands up from the police.

shaquoryh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  loganbaker on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I enjoyed the Chris Jordan video it was very interesting.I really liked the pictures he presented in the video and the facts behind them. The only problem i had with the video is that Chris repeated himself a lot in the video.

The artist i researched is Banksy. Banksys art has to do with social issues and say something about society.

loganbaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reannan on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:53 pm

I think the Jordan video was really eye opening to how messed up america could be or could possibly get. I think that the whole video itself was a litter surprising. The plastic surgery one with the barbie dolls was one of the most fascinating to me. Along with the prison clothes. When he was showing a picture of his parents next to the giant printout, that is amazing to me since you wouldn't think it was that bad at all but it really is.

I chose a Teenager whom I don't remember the name which is really inconvenient but she makes really deep drawing describing americas problems, once I find it I will put it up.

reannan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brandonp on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:25 am

[quote="brandonp"]i think Chris Jordan work to me brings some old school vibe to it but its has that futuristic look to it some stuff he had id never seen before that looked amazing and some stuff i have similar things like it but it seemed like he put his own funk to it the other artist i like is me because i feel when im drawing i put my best effort to it and always put some time jazz to it
brandonp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Heaven S on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:41 am

Overall, I think the whole video was pretty interesting. I found it cool that he talked about a lot of issues that still exist in the US today. Lately, I have been keeping up with the society, and while watching the video, I found that I'm doing good with keeping up with it. I was surprised with how many things have gotten to us in this younger generation of children. I believe is so wrong for parents to try and make their children something their not. Also, while watching the video, I noticed that he has a very nice sense of organizing his pieces, especially with the Barbie Dolls; I liked that one the best.

My Activist Artist is Keith Haring. His art work is more of a transgressive graffiti. I'm interested in his art work because its like humans if we were 2 dimensional. His art work was basically like a cartoon; somethings were believable and some weren't such as babies, dogs, humans, flying saucers, large hearts, and figures with televisions for heads. One of his pieces stood out the most and it is ''Crack is Wack'', It stood out because it was a anti-drug wall that had figures and a large snake.
Heaven S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Will123 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:49 pm

My thoughts about Chris Jordan is that he tries to help people visualize things that are a big deal in the U.S. In his speech he explained the amount of plastic cups used in airlines and the numbers are astonishing. I would have never expected that we use that many. Another piece he did, involved cigarettes on how people die every year that adds up to the amount of people who died during 9/11. I find that his work is interesting and informing. His ideas are different than other people that is why he is very inspirational.
Will123

Location : Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYlNxs_wDW4oFIdkx2WVPzA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  loganbaker on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:07 pm

loganbaker wrote:I enjoyed the Chris Jordan video it was very interesting.I really liked the pictures he presented in the video and the facts behind them. The only problem i had with the video is that Chris repeated himself a lot in the video.

The artist i researched is Banksy. Banksys art has to do with social and political problems with some dark humor mixed in. bansky uses stencils to create his art. 

loganbaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  darrelb on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:31 pm

I liked the Chris Jordan video. He presented good pieces of art and did it well. The only problem I had is that he Repeated himself a few times.

The artist I picked was Keith Haring(1958-1990). His art was sort of like his take on New York's street culture.
He expressed thing like death and war. He was born in Pennsylvania. He was very heavily recognized for his work in the 20th century.
darrelb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  carlosaaw on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:30 pm

Chris Jordan is a brilliantly creative artist who presents important issues and facts throughout his pieces. In the video we got to see and learn about pieces from his "Running the Numbers" project. In this project he spoke out through images about how much we use things, how many deaths occur from certain things, etc. Another project of his, "Midway", depicts the corpses of birds filled with our litter that ultimately caused their demise. I wouldn't say that he is an social artist which is what some would argue because he doesn't affect the change, but he is an activist artist seeing as he presents the issues. Though Jordan falls under one of those artist categories, his artwork still falls under both and it is astounding.

carlosaaw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brandonp on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:26 am

[quote="brandonp"]i think Chris Jordan work to me brings some old school vibe to it but its has that futuristic look to it some stuff he had id never seen before that looked amazing and some stuff i have similar things like it but it seemed like he put his own funk to it and another artist i think brings some cool work to the table is me. i like my work not just i made it but because when i draw or working on something i poor my hart out the art work and put my effort and my all in to it
brandonp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyM on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:00 am

MistyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brandonp on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:40 am

i think Chris Jordan work to me brings some old school vibe to it but its has that futuristic look to it some stuff he had id never seen before that looked amazing and some stuff i have  seen similar things like it but it seemed like he put his own funk to it the other artist i like is Jacqueline ceder to me she her paintings looks like its bringing modern day art to the futuristic look to it and thats why i like her work
brandonp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rcaina on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:16 pm

Chris Jordan art work I thought I was kind of cool and really interested. I was thinking of the picture in a 3d way kind of form. Then I saw the way he made in art move in different ways Running the Numbers: An American Self-Portrait
(2006 – Current

rcaina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  felicityakakatie on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:40 am

i found the video interesting, the way he used his art to describe world problems, i loved it. the placement of color to create even a big picture was a great surprise. another person that was an activist is Norman Carlberg, mainly pointing out their art work in the Vietnam war-era.

felicityakakatie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DylanF on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:53 am

Chris is an artist who's work represents the social issues of our world. I enjoyed his work and how he decided to communicate the issues in numbers. He is a good social artist.

Benny Zable is also a social/activist artist I found online. He represents issues through graffiti, protests, and weird get ups that he wears. Most of his work includes him wearing a gas mask so that he is not seen as the spokesperson for the issue but just another anonymous person taking a stand.
DylanF

View user profile https://open.spotify.com/user/wafl_wong/playlist/42Z3ZsjU9CnwG93

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top