Assignment 3: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Feb 11

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Assignment 3: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Feb 11

Post  NittayaH on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:27 pm

I think Chris Jordan's artwork is extremely powerful and very hard hitting. He shows his work in a very interesting way. It has a very artistic vibe that feels organic and clean.
Keith Haring is another activist artist. His art is really simple and free of any abstract ideas.

NittayaH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MeganM on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:30 pm

A) The video was very interesting. I really liked the points he made. I also enjoyed how he was not screaming it to people. He was gently telling them what America is. He represented the different problems (ex. The skeleton and cigarette) gently but with a very loud message. The video really made me think of all the different problem this country, and around the world.

B) Banksy is one of my favorite artists.It is represented in graffiti so people, children, cops, etc. will see it and make them think. Their work also has a message, but more harshly than Chris Jordan. They try to make people see that we need to change or nothing will get better.
MeganM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rashard on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:17 pm

One thing that really stood out to me in the video was the imagination Chris Jordan had. when it came to him using 100 empty cigarette boxes I asked my self what could he do with other things and it was interesting.

Rashard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alyssa m on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:27 pm

alyssa m

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TigerC on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:55 pm

TigerC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Martel66 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:33 pm

TO me it was intersecting how somethings can be use by numbers to create art work. Its amazing how people make art out of anything i would've never thought of anything like that but it was cool!!!!!

Martel66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Martel66 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:17 pm

[quote="Martel66"]TO me it was intersecting how somethings can be use by numbers to create art work. Its amazing how people make art out of anything i would've never thought of anything like that but it was cool!!! an person who i found intersecting is Helen Frankenhaler she create a particular image she painted a wonderful person/self portrait she was 35 when she did it... I like it alot because she made people look at her painting differently!!!!!

Martel66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaelaS on Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:49 pm

I thought what he did was cool. Turning the world's problems into art was a really creative and unique. If you were to just talk about these problems, people probably wouldn't listen. But when people look at the art, they might wonder what's the meaning behind the piece. And as they search for the answer, they are now learning about the world's problems. And I feel like people would pay attention more if more people would do what Chris Jordan did.
KaelaS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaudiaSims on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:59 pm

I enjoy Chris Jordan's art a lot. His art expands the mind and the way of other people thinking. His art shows that things hare deeper and he proves a point. His art makes you think about the things happening in the world. The topics aren't great or terrible he is just shining light on the duller things in the world. His art is really interesting. The piece that stood out the most to me was that plastic cups. I never knew that one million plastic cups is the number used on airline flights in the US every six hours. Seeing it visually is scary and it makes you think about the other these we do carelessly.

A artist similar to to Chris is Keith Haring. Keith Haring was known for AIDS awareness. His art was extremely simple but it had a large impact. The simpleness of his art and the vibrant colors had deeper meanings. He died from AIDS in 1990. I feel he showed you don't need much art to show something important. Not everything has to be detailed and have a long paragraph to show the seriousness of the problems. †

ClaudiaSims

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rashard on Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:25 pm

Crayon Boxes Used a day by kids.

3 billion of the average of 12 million crayon boxes are used a day by chidren. †crayons currently come in 120 colors including 23 reds, 20 greens, 19 blues, 16 purples, 14 oranges, 11 browns, 8 yellows, 2 grays, 2 coppers, 2 blacks, 1 white, 1 gold and 1 silver. Although Crayola crayons come in 120 different colors, the labels are only made in 18, which cover the full color spectrum. Nearly 3 billion crayons are made each year, an average of 12 million daily. That's enough to circle the globe 6 times with color.

Rashard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MacC on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:22 am

My reaction for Chris Jordan's art is rather... not of my taste. I mean, sure he has some art that's rather moving but I guess it's not for me. What he touches upon (in the video, at least-- I checked his website before and it still has the same effect on me) doesn't exactly worry me, or he goes about this in a very "unappealing" manner. His art just simply doesn't catch my eye, therefore I have a rather neutral opinion on him. He doesn't really interest me, but what he does is rather interesting... just not for me.

For the activist, I've chosen the sculptor and photographer Fiona M. Halls. Hall represents Australia in the International Art Exhibition at the Venice Biennacle, which I believe was in 2015. While attending Penshurst High School, Hall had briefly touched architecture before getting more into her artistic style. She was awarded in 1997 "Contempora 5 Art Award" from the National Gallery of Australia. She was also appointed to the Advisory Council of the Australian National University's Centre for the Mind in 1998. One of her works (that I personally find interesting) is the work "Tender", where Hall had crafted bird's nests out of American dollar bills. She was stating how we depend on such money like a bird would to provide it's nest, which I found rather cool and interesting.
MacC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan_findley on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:55 pm

i think what he did was cool. i liked the doll thing he did. to me that piece stuck out mote than the rest
ryan_findley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AnthonyCronk on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:31 am

I felt at first some of his art work was kindve basic. you could say. I took a better look and there is quite a bit of meaning and thought put into it. He really puts a deep meaning into his work. I feel that some of it however needs explaining to understand it fully.
AnthonyCronk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amandak on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:24 pm

On first glance at Chris Jordan's art, it was almost overwhelming and unbelievable when getting to zoom in and see how much work was put into all of his artwork. It's amazing how each piece of his art has a story or strong meaning behind it, that's definitely a way to give art a more realistic or life-like touch. It's something that would require a lot of concentration and patience, which not everyone has. Though he somehow manages to have those qualities every time he makes a new piece to share. Before this assignment I wasn't aware of such activist artists even existing.. but the work is truly remarkable to see and take in what it means to society and reality in a whole.

The activist artist I researched on is Coco Fusco-she seems to recreate many old time events through her artwork, and many of her pieces of work are in black and white. Almost as if colored or digital cameras still aren't invented. I feel as though her art style revolves around equality for all. Despite race, skin color, gender, age, ext. Her art does have some sad aspects such as; people locked behind bars (Either a cage, or cell bars) to most likely symbolize the lack of freedom due to something about that person. This is her way of taking a stand against the shaming of people due to things they were born as and can't help.
amandak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EnchanteeW on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:51 pm

His work is inspiring to me, Its really cool.
That is a cool way to turn statistics into art.
EnchanteeW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gerame on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:02 pm

took 6 picture for the yearbook and there already uploaded
gerame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  keariec on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:01 am

Chris Jordan video about the Barbieís interested me the most. Because it brought back memories about when I used to play with Barbie dolls. N I never seen it before in my life. It was very interesting to know that somebody would do that. Especially with Barbie dolls even though it was an inappropriate image .it was still very good besides the image behind it but it will be a good breast cancer image. I was kind of thinking how you can buy that many Barbie dolls for that image. I like it though some people may think that itís disrespectful toward woman but the picture is a true definition of art.

Coco fuscos art is active artist because she explores the relationship between women and society, war, politics, and race. Like all around the world type art. she is now developing a series of performances exploring .she was the recipient of the Absolute Art Writing Award sheís been doing this for a while her art work is exclusive .because she has art that nobody seen everybody seen the usual paintings and art but hers is very cultural and different.

keariec

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  carlosaaw on Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Second Part- I think Banksy is another activist artist. I like some of the messages his art can give people. One thing Banksy made that i really like is called "No Future" ( http://www.stencilrevolution.com/photopost/2013/04/No-Future-Girl-Balloon-by-Banksy.jpg ). I really enjoy the realistic stencil art he does.

carlosaaw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karij on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:56 am

My thoughts on the Chris Jordan video was that mood really does effect our daily life. Anger causes you to take it out on other people, Sadness causes you to be exclusive from people.

The one activist artist that has caught my eye is Keith Haring. He is know for his graffiti style art work. I've looked up some of his art and from the looks of it they were very colorful and childlike. His first art work was done in a New York Subway, he drew random things on a wall. He drew a radiating baby, barking dogs, and hearts all over. It's by far my favorite work. He also did art for AIDS awareness, he died soon after from AIDS related complications.
Karij

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AnthonyCronk on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:45 am

Chris Jordan art is very emotional and deep and really pushes to show problems in the world. One collection of photos from Kenya shows the beauty of the land yet also shows the little money they have, yet how they survive by the land and making tools themselves. Another project is a collection of one million names of organizations that promote peace, environmental stewardship, †social justice, And the preservation of diverse and indigenous culture. The names are etched onto aluminum panels but a picture replica is on his website, You can even zoom in and out and view each name and zoomed out all the way resembles a big globe that I assume is earth. Chris Jordan's art is interesting because it inspires you to make a change. †

Keith haring is a art activist who did mostly street art/ Graffiti art. One of his most famous pieces that i had previously herd about is called "crack is wack". In the mid 80`s the drug crack was very popular, in a effort to inspire people to get away from it. "Crack is wack" was painted at a handball court on 128th street and 2nd Avenue in New York City. It was painted without city permission but was put under the City Department of Parks and is still there.
http://www.haring.com/!/art-work/108#.VvqFuuIrLcs
AnthonyCronk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan_findley on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:08 pm

chris jordan is a very creative person. the fact that he took plastic and paper cups and made them in to something like that is amazing. what i think would have to be the cigarette box's made in to a vango painting. i also find it dumb that people keep smoking even though it kill's a big part of the worlds people. i also think that the cigarette piece was informing to me. it shown me a lot of teen's smoke and alot more teens die from it
ryan_findley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anthoneyf on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:58 pm

The ted talk video of Jordan was inspiring it made you look at how big numbers actually are like when he says the number of how many people cigarettes kill it didnít seem like that much but when he showed it instead of just saying it, it made the numbers come to life and show how many people it kills everyday its hard to prove how massive numbers are but I think he did a fine job of expressing the numbers in his art .
Joan Schulze is another known activist she makes art that makes you look at how others and yourself view your life and youíre out looks on life

anthoneyf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  YasmineT on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:21 pm

I liked the video & the art work he does because when he does his art work he makes sense with it. By that i mean that he could just draw a tree but it would have meaning to it.

YasmineT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  YasmineT on Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:13 pm

pt 2. One artist that i like is Edvard Munch. I like how a lot of his paintings have the sun set in the background & i like all the details in his paintings. One of my favorite paintings by him is called The Scream. That painting is actually really cool.

YasmineT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Grades are in for this assignment.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content