Alicia's sr. project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alicia's sr. project

Post  Ajohnston on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:31 am

Start a new thread in this forum and post your proposal by Friday Feb 5. Copy and paste this message into your post, and add in your information for each section. Your progress will be posted in the thread that you start throughout the semester. Each senior will have one thread for this class.

1) Nature of the Senior Project (what will you accomplish by the end of the semester?)
Portfolio/photobook (30 pages)

2) Outline of Project Plan. Develop a list of deadlines for yourself. Your progress toward these goals will be posted throughout the semester as weekly progress reports. Weekly progress reports will be graded down 1 point (out of 7) for each day late. For each of the following progress dates, type out what you will have accomplished by then (take as much room as you need to type this out):

Feb 5 - Proposal Due (15 points)
2 point deduction for each day late.

Feb 12 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Look through photos (find best work), match up common themes (new photos)
Feb 26 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Background design/cover design, find quotes (new photos)
Mar 5 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) First two sets of pages (two 2page layouts) (new photos

------------- cut off for 3rd quarter progress report

Mar 19 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Next two sets of pages (new photos)
Mar 26 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Two more sets of pages (new photos)

------------- cut off for 3rd quarter report card(50 points possible for 3rd quarter)

Apr 1 (Thursday) - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Two sets of pages
Apr 16 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Two sets of pages
Apr 23 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Two sets of pages
Apr 30 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Two sets of pages
May 6 (Thursday) - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Autobiography pages

Total: 30 pages (one blank in beginning and end)
I will always be taking new photos that may be added

------------- cut off for 3rd progress report

May 13 - Reflective Essay Due - 5 pages, double spaces, 12 point font (15 points)
Essay: 5 point deduction for each day late.
(50 points possible for 4th quarter)

May 20 - Final Project Due (This will be your final exam grade, worth 25% of the semester grade)
Marked down a full letter grade for each day late.
May 27 - last day of school for seniors

3) Where will you do the project?
The photos could be taken anywhere, but everything else will be done in class. (aside from the Reflective Essay)

4) List ALL materials/resources/people required for your project:
I need a publishing site for my book (Lulu!), photoshop, a computer, a camera, websites with famous quotes. And any people that happen to be in my photos. Money to purchase the book. (List may be edited if I think of anything else)

5) A record copy of the project must be supplied to the school for archival purposes. How will you arrange for this?
Order two copies
Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Proposal

Post  Ajohnston on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 am

For my senior project I plan on doing a photo book. I’m not very good at writing my own poetry, so I thought I might use quotes to strike up a common theme between two photos. I would put a full page photo on one page, and a half page photo with a quote on the other. I will have some kind of background made in photoshop. I don’t like the one I made in Multimedia, so I’m going to come up with a new one. The background probably won’t be very detailed.
Example:

I would not actually use these photos, this is to show what the layout would be like. The crazy pattern stamp behind the quote would be replaced with a design and the photos would not go to the edges, I just didn’t want to spend a ton of time on a rough copy.
Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Week of Feb. 12th summary

Post  Ajohnston on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:43 am

This week I went through all the pictures in my photobucket account, and the few I have on my school computer. I have had a lot of stuff going on outside of school so I haven't had time to go through my home computer, when I do I will post the amazing ones on my forum (here).

After I went through and found the ones I thought were the best, I paired up photos that I felt a common theme or a very solid color scheme. Here are the (very small) pairs that I liked, and the theme I found between them.

Theme: Babies & Blue/gray colors

Theme: Child's play

Theme: Close Up & Orange/Gold colors

Theme: Grime

Theme: Journey/Boats

Theme: Leaves

Theme: Lincoln Memorial in the background/foreground.

Theme: Music

Theme: Nature

Theme: Repeating Patterns

Theme: Sleep

Theme: Tunnels

Theme: Water/Lake

All photos are subject to change if I take some that I like better!
Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Week of Feb. 26th summary

Post  Ajohnston on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:28 am

This week I designed a cover, created an introduction page, designed the layout for my pages, and began looking through quotes. I was hoping to have more quotes selected than I ended up with, but I am still happy with the amount that I have.

Cover design:

Introduction page:

Two page spread:

Quotes that I found that go with the themes of my photo sets:
Music: “Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent” – Victor Hugo
Journey: “A Journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” –John Steinbeck
Child's Play: “Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.” –Dr. Haim Ginott
Lakes: “Moody and withdrawn, the lake unites a haunting loveliness to a raw desolateness.” – Dale Morgan
Tunnels: “Carve a tunnel of hope through the dark mountain of disappointment.” –Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm finding that with some of the pairs of pictures, though I saw a common theme in the images it's hard to find a quote that works with both of them. This might lead me to change a few of my selected photos. I also have some more abstract quotes saved that I can see working with a few of my photo pairs, but I'm not sure if my heart is set on them yet. (I have more quotes saved on my computer than the ones I posted above, I only posted the ones that I am set on using. Like with my photographs, if a better quote comes along these may change.)
Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

March 5th Summary

Post  Ajohnston on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:44 pm

This week I was absent for two days due to a family issue. I'm somehow still on schedule with my project. When I return to school on Monday I will post the two sets of pages that I did this week. (I'm posting this from my home computer.)

I'm also coming further along with the quote collecting job. Unfortunately I haven't taken any amazing new photos recently due to crazy busy-ness.
During class (after I finish my 2 page spreads each week) I've been working on a pen tool project as well. It's coming along nicely, but very slowly.

Monday!
Here are the two page spreads:

Here is my "quotes check list" the bolded ones are the ones that I still have to find quotes for, the others have quotes listed next to them.

Childs play “Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.” –Dr. Haim Ginott
Close up “When a woman is talking to you, listen to what she says with her eyes”-Victor Hugo
Grime “I see drawings and pictures in the poorest of huts and the dirtiest of corners.” –Vincent Van Gogh
Journey “A Journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” –John Steinbeck

Leaves
Lincoln/Importance

Music “Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent” – Victor Hugo
Nature
Pattern “To understand is to perceive patterns.”-Isaiah Berlin
Sleep
Tunnel “Carve a tunnel of hope through the dark mountain of disappointment.” –Martin Luther King, Jr.
Water/Lakes “Moody and withdrawn, the lake unites a haunting loveliness to a raw desolateness.” – Dale Morgan
Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summary Mar. 19

Post  Ajohnston on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:38 pm

This week I was absent for two days (again..) with health issues. But! I got my pages done and managed not to fall behind! I also took a photos during my trip last week that might be sr. project worthy, but I have yet to go through them with a photographers eye.

Pages:

Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

March 26th

Post  Ajohnston on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:07 pm

I spent a lot of time this week on GIMP! I spent a day in the dark room taking photos (which I'll post in this thread when I get them paired up)

Here are my sets of pages for this week!

Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Alicia's sr. project

Post  Ajohnston on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:41 am

This week I put together three new sets of photos and I figured out lulu! I have quite a few pages uploaded on that now. I feel very proud of what I accomplished this week, even though I didn't get my pages made. I was afraid of how long it was going to take me to figure out lulu, but now that I have it figured out I feel much more confident about my overall project progress.

New Photos:
Light!

Under Water

Wind!

My goal for spring break is to take as many awesome photos as I can, and to find the quotes that I still need.
Which are:
Leaves
Light
Lincoln/Importance
Nature
Sleep
Wind
Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Week of April 16th

Post  Ajohnston on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:44 pm

This week I discovered that I had too many photo sets! Which is exciting, it means that I'm not behind. I have a decent amount uploaded to lulu, and more should be uploaded next week. I started writing my Auto-biography page this week and I realised it's going to be harder than I thought so I'm going to be focusing on that for more than just the week I originally allowed myself, which is okay because I'm ahead of schedual on getting pages done.
My quote hunt is coming to an end but I am having an extremly hard time finding quotes for "Wind" "Nature/trees" and "Leaves". All of the quotes I've gone through have been really lame. Hoping for better luck this upcoming week.

Here are my two pages for the week:

Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

April 23rd update

Post  Ajohnston on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:43 pm

This week I was out for two days..again. I have everypage uploaded to lulu except my bio page and two pages that I have to put quotes on! I have a quote, and I am still hunting down a good one to use for "Leaves" or "Nature" the one I already have is interchangeable so I need another one to decide where the one I have will go. My new goal is to have the project finished by the end of next week!

Here are the pages I got uploaded to lulu

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Update as of April 29th!

Post  Ajohnston on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:52 am

I just placed the order on lulu. My book is officially finished and sent to the printers! Now comes the nail biting time of waiting for it to come and hoping it makes it in time for grades... Total cost was $70 and some change, which is a little more than I originally planned, but not a big deal. I'm proud of the way I got things done faster than planned, but dissappointed that I failed to accomodate the shipping time into my plans from the start.

The next few weeks will be spent writing my essay. Weekly updates on that!
Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Everything's finished!

Post  Ajohnston on Wed May 19, 2010 8:51 am

The essay is complete. Everything is done. Just passing time in class for the next few days!
Ajohnston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Alicia's sr. project

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top