Lia's Senior Project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lia's Senior Project

Post  LiaC on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:52 pm

1) My Senior Project will raise money for kids in Detroit to learn the basics of photography. It will have two parts. The first, a fundraiser held in the Arts Academy gym, will be a gallery and auction of student artwork. It will include a dinner and some background music. The second part will take place on Memorial Day, and will take AAW photography students to the Heidelberg Project to tutor elementary students in photography. I will create a basic curriculum and we will supply cameras to the children and, in theory, they would get to keep them.

2)
Feb 8 – Proposal Due (15 points)
Call Heidelberg
Have permission from appropriate authorities

Feb 12 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points)
Have spoken to artists
Have spoken to cooks/ performers
Look into reduced printing prices

Feb 26 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points)
ForSure list of artists/performers/cooks
List of needed supplies
Design fliers

Mar 5 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points)
Have setup/ tear down plan
Design tickets
Distribute fliers

------------- cut off for 3rd quarter progress report

Mar 19 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points)
Press Release
Know photographer’s work (Photographer’s meeting)
Write essay

Mar 26 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points)
Meeting of Parties Concerned/ Run Through
More Multimedia if Necessary, can do here

------------- cut off for 3rd quarter report card

Apr 1 (Thursday) - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points)
Print photography

Apr 16 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points)
Matte photography

Apr 23 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points)
Finishing Details
Start flier for workshop/Finish
Find reduced price on cameras

Apr 30 - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points) Day of Fundraiser
Not freaking out
Begin scrapbooking for archival copy

May 6 (Thursday) - Weekly Progress Due _(7 points)
Find photography tutors
Create photography curriculum

------------- cut off for 3rd progress report

May 13 - Reflective Essay Due
Begin a portfolio for colleges

May 31 - Final Project Due Day of Workshop

June 4 – Weekly Progress Due _ (7 points)
Portfolio for colleges
Have finished archival copy

June 11 – Weekly Progress Due _ (7 points)
Portfolio for colleges

3) Where will you do the project?
The fundraiser will take place in the Arts Academy gym and the workshop will take place at Heidelberg

4) List all the materials/resources/people required for your project:
I think that’s a little difficult. But to be general, I need photographers, a food team, performers, tech, the authorities of yourself and Mr. Spayde, set up crew, children, permission from Heidelberg, press, a good printing company, and cameras.

5) A record copy of the project must be supplied to the school for archival purposes. How will you arrange for this?
Scrapbooking and photography will allow me to keep records of this event so that I can create an archival copy for the school to keep.

Last edited by LiaC on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Multimedia Focus

Post  LiaC on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:37 am

These are the ways in which I will be using my multimedia skills during my senior project-

Design Tickets
Design Fliers (marketing) x2
Print and Matte photos
- Choose good photos
- Taking good photos
Curriculum of photography workshop
Teaching photography
Small Portfolio for Colleges

Other Options we can add later-

Create slide show
HTML web advertisement
Essay about Born into Brothels
LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Weekly Summary 1

Post  LiaC on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:59 am

I have spoken with my top list of photographers and with Heidelberg. Heidelberg is going to send me contact information for the elementary schools. I have also spoken with Kayla Bloink about having her father cater and will be getting in touch with him, along with some students to assist him, within the next week. I need to start planning what I need to make the gym look pretty and putting together a budget. I would like to stay under $200 for the event but that might be unrealistic unless I can get a lot of donations. Also I am starting on the flier design.

So far, so good. I only wish that there were some hard evidence of the work I've been doing, but mostly it has just been getting in touch with people. That's the most frustrated part.
LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Weekly Sumary 2

Post  LiaC on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:23 am

I have found out who is capable of working the cherry picker and putting up the curtains. That was the most difficult part of settup and the part I had not figured out yet. I left messages at both of the elementary schools for the respective principals. And I have almost finished working on the flier.

I would like to add more polka dots. As you know, that's kinda their theme.
I have 8 out of 10 photographers lined up for sure, and two more to talk to.
The next step is to talk to rocket printing about reduced pricing, talk to the principals and art teachers at the schools, and to line up the final list of photographers and their work.
LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Weekly Summary

Post  LiaC on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:41 pm

Yes, I am posting a summary even though it's not Friday. Look at me being a rebel.

I have finished my flier. My father is printing it.

I have spoken to the cook and will be getting a budget for food very soon, which means I can finally put together exactly how much money I'm going to be using total. I still need to go shopping for table covers and such things. All of that comes last, though, along with getting with the people who will be helping to set up.

I have started the process of getting my photographer's photos. Once I have those I can print and matte them, and create a powerpoint so that it is easier to see the pictures during the auction.

I decided to use the other design for the fliers as my ticket design instead, which I am not actually using for the event.

LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Weekly Summary

Post  LiaC on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:35 am

A little over a week left. I'm failing at the "not freaking out" portion of my plan.
I've created a
powerpoint presentation to play during the dinner of the photographer's work. I'm going to see if I can find either jazz musicians from the school or files of their work to play (quietly) over the powerpoint.

I've finished a business letter to local businesses asking for donations, I need to decide on a method for distributing those.

I'm still collecting work from 3-6 more photographers, I've added a couple to my list of people I want as tutors. I'm going to
print all the photos I have on Sunday morning and then spend next week matting them.

I've decided to make the auction a silent auction, which means I need to
print out papers for people to write their bids on.

I need to make sure that Tim and I can
set up the curtain in the middle and that I have enough people helping me set up.
LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

weekly summary

Post  LiaC on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Weekly Update:

This week has been semi-epic for my senior project. I got the photos printed, but I am going to be reprinting five of them next week. I bought the matte board and have finished the 4x6 mattes and started on the 14x11 mattes. Spencer and Kira are being amazing and helping me with that.

Mr. Higgenbottem has sent me some great references for where to buy cheap cameras online. They are surplus warehouses, I believe.

I've finished the powerpoint, except for putting music over it. I am getting the music from the Lounge Cats, Gwen MacPhee, Bill Vansickle and Jake Schwant's jazz trio.
We've raised our first $100!

I will be handing over money to Kayla's father on Monday to start getting the food together. Setup is being delt with by Tim and myself. I still haven't decided whether to have it in the gym or in the drama room. Drama room might be easier. I want to have a for-sure plan of action by Wednesday.

I have not sent out any letters to local businesses but I am going to make a proposition to Ram's Horn today after school (while I check my schedule for work.) Facebook advertising has been going very well.
LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post Fundraiser - plus/delta

Post  LiaC on Tue May 04, 2010 2:51 pm

The fundraiser came off very well! We have grossed almost $1400, but I still have more coming in and some costs to subtract so we'll see what we come up with in the end.

The two things I would have changed are that I would have printed fewer photos, maybe only the two or three best from each photographer, and I would have printed fewer fliers. Both of these things would have brought costs way down and that would have been helpful. Also I would have liked to set up a little earlier, to save hassle and guesswork, but that wasn't really possible anyway.

I've found some cameras that cost $59 a peice, but they only have a 3x zoom and such things so I'm going to keep looking for deals. At the moment, though, we could get quite a few of those and still have money for a picnic.

The next thing I have to work on is the new date for the actual workshop. I have talked to the school and they want it to be on a weekday, so I need to find one that will work for as many of the phtographers as possible. After that, my priority is to set up this curriculum of photography basics. I know I want to include composition, framing, color, macro, lighting, and a few other things. Suggestions are welcome.
LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lia's Senior Project

Post  Admin on Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm

I think you might be overly ambitious about how many topics you can cover with kids that age, in that amount of time - especially if you are thinking of adding a few other topics as well.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Senior Project

Post  LiaC on Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 am

Well, they're seventh graders so they have an alright attention span. I'll see what I can do to trim it down.
LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

weekly summary

Post  LiaC on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am

Overall I think the workshop went really well. We already talked about some of the things I would have liked to change, like the communication with the school beforehand and making sure the photography tutors were confident in getting the kids together and learning. I think it would have been nice to let the kids keep the cameras but I think it worked out really well giving them to the school anyway. Also I think the kids had a really good time and got a lot out of the time, in the end. One lucky part was having Tyree run into us and come talk to us for a little while.
LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lia's Senior Project

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top