Assignment 10: Post work from Two ADDITIONAL GIMP tutorials here

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 10: Post work from Two ADDITIONAL GIMP tutorials here

Post  Admin on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:24 pm

On each day, I would like you to complete 2 tutorials from here: http://www.noupe.com/gimp/30-exceptional-gimp-tutorials-and-resources.html

There are 30 to pick from, you should pick ones that interest them. By the end of the week, you should have 8 of the tutorials completed. I'll be checking the forum during the evenings.

Each day you'll get a new thread for posting work from two new tutorials.

grading - 2 points total (1 for each tutorial)

If you have been absent or had pending questions, I will reopen the thread so you can post late work to it. If you decided not to do the assigned work this week, your grade will reflect that decision. If you need help, I expect you to post a specific question, including which tutorial you are working on and which step you are stuck on.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 10: Post work from Two ADDITIONAL GIMP tutorials here

Post  EmmaJ on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:04 pm

EmmaJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

GIMP

Post  LiaC on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Today I used a tutorial to make a birthday card for my friend.
#10- How to Create Lightsaber Effect

I know she's always wanted to be a jedi.

It's the same tutorial I did yesterday, but it was a lot harder with my own picture. Plus I had to use the rotation tool, the paths tool, the scale tool, and the heal/stamp tools a lot more. I got a little lazy half way through and decided to use the camera in her hand as part of the lightsaber handle. The earasing job there is chunky but it works from further away, if not when examined closely. As for the part that applied to the tutorial, the lightsaber effect, I liked it better on the other picture because the selected area was skinnier and longer as opposed to how fat and short it is here. If I spent more time on it, I would do a more careful erasing job and stretch out the blurred lightsaber.

LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  christab on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Transparent Glass Lettering:

I was working on the bloody text tutorial but when I got to this step the text stayed blurry no matter what I did with the curves.
These are the quick steps to get rounded corners on this text:
- Apply Filter / Gaussian Blur
- 10px
- Repeat the filter by Pressing CTRL+F
- Repeat it again
- Choose Colors / Curves, top left choose Alpha as channel. Move the point at the bottom to the middle, do so with the point that is at the top right. You'll see immideate changes in the picture. Do this until you have nice rounded off corners.

christab

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:07 pm

I went through the bloody text tutorial. That step of rounding off the letters was tricky - but it's a great to know how to round the letters of fonts!

Here's after I did the first step - at this point I blurred the letters, opened the colors>curves box, and in the upper left of that box I switched the channel to alpha.

It sounds like you got that okay. The next step was a little confusing, I had to play around with the line to figure out what they meant by moving the top and bottom points to the middle. They mean the middle from left to right - but not the middle top to bottom. Here's my screenshot showing where the points should be:

Try that, and see if you can get through the rest of it.

And thanks for giving another great example of how to ask for help when you get stuck on a step. You did a great job of explaining which tutorial you were trying, and where you got stuck.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandra K on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Pile of Worms

Vintage Look

Alexandra K

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaC on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:37 pm

I attempted the Oil Painting tutorial, but it turned out funky.

I think my problem is either in the math at the begining or in step eight. I thought I was doing it right.
This is my entry for Friday 3/19/10, but I didn't see a spot to post those ones...

LiaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Earl Dube-GIMP_ Tutor 1

Post  squEARL-dube on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:59 pm

squEARL-dube

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:59 pm

I didn't get the threads posted today - this morning we were doing presentations in our training sessions and I didn't get enough of a break to sneak in and post them. Sad

I will sort that out Monday with all my classes.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  christab on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:04 pm

For the bloody tutorial, I got through what you posted and made my letters round, (thanks!) but when I reach the warp step I do exactly what the directions say and it just doesn't turn out how it's supposed to look. I can't really explain the problem any better than that. It's this step:

To make the lines look like a part of the text we use the Liquify-Filter. Filters / Distorts / IWarp. Choose "grow".
Deform radius: 9
Deform amount: 0.26
All Work is done in the preview-window of this filter: Now first work on the area where the 'blood' is coming out of the text and running down. Click and hold your mouse down at the exitpoint of the blood of the text and make small circular movements. The hard edges look more as they would have been a part of the text. Repeat this for every line.
The next step are the endings of the lines. They should look like drops in the end, do this with the same teqchnique as with the exitpoints.
After that use "shrink". Now shrink the middle parts of the lines so that they become much thinner. To do this move the mouse (while holding down the mousebutton) from top to bottom until you find it thin enough. It should be uneven to look real!

christab

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlyssaG on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 am

AlyssaG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaylaB on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 pm

these are two different vintage tutorials...its hard to see in the last one unless you really know the picture but its there, especially in the hat portion and in the lighting on the face

kaylaB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trail on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:03 pm

Selective Coloring:

Last edited by Trail on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Trail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Layers+Inking

Post  AaronF on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:26 pm