Assignment 29: Self-Critique (Best Work) Due Mar 9

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:22 am

Part 1: Look back at your work for the current school year. Select and repost your best/favorite work for the year so far. List which assignment it was for. If it was for a scavenger hunt word, list the word. If you would like this to be considered for the yearbook, post the FULL SIZED image at high resolution (the 600 pixel wide limit does NOT apply to this assignment).

Part 2: Explain why the work is successful. (color, composition, technique, creative vision?)

Grading Rubric:

1 point: posting one of your best pieces to this thread, along with the assignment name.

3 points: the quality of your self-critique.

- Vague comments that do not demonstrate an understanding of art principles ("I just liked it and thought it worked well") will receive 0 points.

- Comments that address a strong point without explaining why it works well ("The composition is good") will receive 1 point.

- Comments that explain why an image is successful in specific terms ("The composition works because the diagonal line directs your focus to the subject's eye's") will receive 2 points.

- Comments that list multiple specific reasons why an image is successful will receive the maximum score of 3 points.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 29: Self-Critique (Best Work) Due Mar 9

Post  csmith on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:54 pm

I turned this photo in for the scavenger hunt 'Silhouettes'. I like
this because the colors are simple, and turn your attention towards
the silhouette. There's no clashing colors or anything. I also like the
cropping. The model is exactly in the center, also turning your
attention towards it. I like the texture of the back drop. I like the
dark mood of it with the black edges.

I took this photo at the zoo. I like how this photo has simple colors,
also no clashing colors. I like the dark colors, how it really makes you
look at it. i like the cropping of this photo. Having the zebra all the
way to the right gives it a cool view. I like how vibrant the stripes are.

I turned this photo in for the scavenger hunt 'Hearty'. I like the
angle I took this photo, it makes you view it differently. I like the
texture of the dogs fur. I like the pattern of the floor, it kind of
grabs your attention.

I turned this photo in for the scavenger hunt 'choice', as a alternate
assignment. I like how because of the macro setting, the attention is
on the tip of the dogs nose. It's very clear and shows all the texture.
I also like the texture of the dogs fur. I like how the photo naturally
blurred out the background and focused on the dog. I like the angle
of the photo, making the dogs head large, and making the dogs body
look small. I like how it's in black and white, because it is simple and there's
no clashing colors.
csmith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  melissa. on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:39 am

I took this picture for the scavenger hunt "Deplorable". I feel as though the concept and drama of the photograph came to life because of the anguished look and even tears on her face. Also, the way the light fades in the corners, the way the various black curves from the eyeliner, gag, hoodie, and t-shirt contrast pleasantly against her pale face, and the composition of the photo make it aesthetically appealing. Finally, the position of her body and face brings attention to the picture as a whole, rather than a certain focal point which really could be a good or bad thing, but I think it works for this photo.
melissa.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dariousb on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:51 am

I turned this in for the scavenger hunt ďVERT- or VERS". Its probably one of my best pictures, the quality and composition is fairly good compared to the rest of my photos.The ambient light given off from the row of lights on the ceiling complements the mood of the picture. I believe I demonstrated sutter speeds pretty well. One thing I took into consideration but did not follow is rule of thirds, I didnít believe it suited the photo.

I turned this in for scavenger hunt ďDissembleĒ. Itís the worst picture Iíve taken this school year. The quality and composition are horrible. I think I was in a rush and wanted to get the job done, disregarding efficiency which was a mistake. I didnít follow basic photography techniques such as rule of thirds nor did I select a setting fitting for the picture.

dariousb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  celiae on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:50 am

This photo was submitted for the scavanger hunt "Choice" I love the lighting and the tones in this picture, it's very layed back and relaxed looking. with the shoes lined up as they are in this photo, it clearly shows; without force; the message of choice.

celiae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelaU on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 pm

This image was submitted for the vector cut out project. it keeps a set feline theme throughout the picture, mixing it with a twist of insanity. With my face being altered to achieve that cheshire cat look, the eyes being integrated with the biting cat skeletons, and a few blood splatters here and there, everything seems to link in eerie harmony, like telling a ghost story. The swirls in the background, and the form of the skeletons' spines directs the viewers attention to the center of the image where the eyes meet on the face and skulls. the swirls in the background also bring out the shape of the cat shape vector where the face couldnt reach, like the top of the cats head. There is also a continuous pattern of curves throughout the entire image like the curve of the skeletons' bones, curve in all the fingers, the face's smile and even the cat shape.

Last edited by AngelaU on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding more on)
AngelaU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JulieA on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 pm

I took this picture for the scavenger hunt word 'Dissemble'

I think my favorite thing about this picture is how well the focus is. I also like how there is a line pattern, and a simplistic color theme. I think I captured the silver part very well, as well as the shadow. It kind of makes an allusion that the one leg are bent and that the rest are longer than they really are.
It is a very simple picture but also not simple.
JulieA

View user profile http://unlovedwarior.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  maddiet on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:56 am

This was a scavenger hunt photo for the root plic, plicit, plex or ply.
I like the bright colors in this picture, The red is the secondary color but the blue and orange are especially complementary which works well. At first I thought there were too many colors going on but then I decided I liked it. The rough texture of the painted wall makes the subject stand out. The composition is good because the subject is not dead center, instead she is a little to the right. I also like how her head doesn't go outside the boundary of the blue circle. Repetition is present in this photo, the blue circle is repeated again in her round dangling earing and the girl is looking in the same direction as the painted figure on the wall.
maddiet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlsoKnownAsShelbyK. on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:28 pm

This was a scavenger hunt for "VERS" or "VERT". I really love how the picture looks completely clear, no flash or over exposure. You can see the texture of the carpet is really well defined by the sun from the window. Its a simple picture, the colors are contrasting but not overbearing. I dont have many negative things to say about this picture except, I wish the props would've stayed up better.
AlsoKnownAsShelbyK.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  janea' j on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 pm

I like this photo because it matches very well to me the word "Complex". The photo is torie reaching for the handle and oviously she's to short so it makes a complex situation for her.

I kinda like this but I kinda dont. I worked hard on this thats why I like it but I feel I could have put a bit more affort into it. Shocked
janea' j

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VictoriaW on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 pm

I submitted this photo for the lighting projects. I used directional lighting which is when different sources of light (natural light-sun, fill light and key light) are placed around a certain subject to create light coming from each direction. What I love about this photo is that you don't only see the girl in the picture but you can see what is behind her (the car and the abandon house). I also love how all of my colors in this photo are complementary.

I submitted this photo for a scavenger hunt "Deplorable". I really love how I was able to capture the different features inside of the abandon house. Its not a simple picture of just the house, it's what's inside the house. I really put effort into taking this photo. One thing I wish I could have done a lot more of is getting the light inside of the house. If there was more lighting sources the inside of the house would stand out more. Overall this is my favorite picture of the year (so far).
VictoriaW

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/babyface.willis?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian Pettus on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:02 pm

This picture is from assignment 16 : Vector cutouts. There are a couple reasons why I like this. One reason is how well the colors work together and that the yellow eyes do not stand out. I'm really happy with that. Another reason is how well the little shapes form around the figure and that they are not too out of control.
Julian Pettus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sade_S.F. on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 am

I posted this picture for the pattern fills project where we had to create our own picture. I like this picture because I think it contrasts well. The blue and the green are almost completely complementary of the red,and the patterns again the black make it stand out. The balance of the picture works with the matching birds and circles. Overall it's a decent-made project.
Sade_S.F.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Sparks on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:39 am

These were both turned in for "chrom-" or "chromo-". I love the first one because of the large rock with the water behind it. The rock looks rough and dark where as the rest of the photo looks smooth and bright. The colors all mix together quite well which make me favor it even more. I took it at St. Maarten which adds a memory along with the photo. I also love the second one. I love how the dark stones around the island kind of make a barrier and how I got the picture from above. I think the colors don't mesh well, but I still think it's a great photo with all the colors. It was take in St. Lucia, which also have memories along with it.
Becky Sparks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel D on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 am

This was my assignment for the Vert/Vers scavenger hunt, for which I used Vertigo. The photo uses a variety of pastel colors to make up the background, while the black clothing of the subjects really contrasts. There are straight lines throughout the photo, from the ledge to the buildings to the subjects' arms and legs, which I think makes for good composition. I also like the feeling it gives; the man seems so relaxed and the girl so excited, but it gives off a feeling of wonder either way.

I turned this in for the Silhouettes assignment. The photo uses three simple colors (black, blue, and white), and the blue and white make for good contrast with the black. The lines and circles of the jungle gym form interesting shapes around the subject. The angles of the subject's pose all seem to lead into eachother, just as the jungle gym lines all seem to lead to a point on her body (feet, midsection, and hand). The feeling this one gives off seems to me like a mixture of play and attitude. In hindsight, I should've experimented with other angles, as the photo seems top-heavy.
Rachel D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisB on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:20 am

This is my post for the lighting techniques assignment, I was working with a manual exposure setting and I really like the way it came out so abstract. With the black background being so dark it really brought out the bright light but you can still still the focus on his face.
TravisB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Christina M. on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 am

These photos were taken for the scavenger hunt assignment "deplorable." I think that this is my best work this year because i think it portrays the word deplorable in a creative way and I think the composition of these photos are well thought out. I also like the vivid color.

Christina M.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chelsgreg on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:10 am

I used this picture for the assignment two in one when we had to find similar objects. I feel that this is the best picture so far the lighting and tones in the picture i feel are great and makes the color of her eyes standout. After this picture I feel like my photography improved from this point.
chelsgreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KalebG on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Assignment 30: Side or Bounce lighting

I really love how this one turned out. In general, it just seems a lot more like a picture you'd get from getting it taken in a professional studio. The part I like the most is that the background's light fades from the center outward, making it stand out a bit more along with the subject. Also, there's almost a line separating the picture going down diagonally from the top left corner into a section with a good deal or light and an area that's almost completely dark. It's just visually appealing to me.
KalebG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZakB on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:42 am

Assignment 11: photo scavenger hunt HEARTY due Oct 18

I shot this photo for the scavenger hunt word "Hearty". I think this is a strong photo because the lighting brings the viewer's focus to the subject at hand and it is sharply in focus. The warm colors of the subjects face mach well with the skylight in the background. The simple background makes the subjects face stand out even more and makes the photo stronger.
ZakB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaron on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:12 am

I turned this photo in for the "Silhouettes" assignment. I like this photo because of the dark, warm colors in the background. I think it contrasts really well with the silhouette itself, and the telephone pole in the back. I also enjoy this photo because of the fog that was out when it was taken, sort of distorts the background and puts off a gloomy look.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:54 pm

All submissions have been graded.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JessicaH on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:06 pm

I submitted this for the scavenger hunt "chrom- or chromo-" I think this is my best work because of how the colors complement each other and I like how the lighting casts a shadow that leads up to the back of the subject.

JessicaH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  renglish on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:58 pm

I've chosen this photo as one of my best pieces for various reasons. My favorite aspect of this photo is the color scheme and composition. The gradient of complimentary colors from light yellow to purple is simple, but it works very well. The emitting hues of yellow from the streetlights contrasts black creating even more gradients. There's a lot of rhythm in this photo, as well that adds a little bit of complexity - the building windows and streetlights. And lastly, the woman's silhouette (center) cuts right into the brightest part of the picture, tying the focus into the vignetting/border.
renglish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:00 am

All submissions have been graded.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content