Assignment 32: self-critique #2 Due Mar 15

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:16 am

Part 1: Look back at your work for the current school year. Select and repost your least successful work for the year so far. Post these as a normal forum size (no more than 600 pixels). I don't need huge versions of these because we're not going to put your worst work in the yearbook!

Part 2: Explain why the work is not successful. (color, composition, technique, creative vision?)

Grading Rubric:

1 point: posting one of your least successful pieces to this thread.

3 points: the quality of your self-critique.

- Vague comments that do not demonstrate an understanding of art principles ("I didn't like it and thought it didn't work") will receive 0 points.

- Comments that address a weak point without explaining why it doesn't work well ("The composition is bad") will receive 1 point.

- Comments that explain why an image is unsuccessful in specific terms ("The composition doesn't work well because there is no focal point" or "the bright red laundry basket in the background doesn't match the color scheme and is distracting") will receive 2 points.

- Comments that list multiple specific reasons why an image is unsuccessful will receive the maximum score of 3 points.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 32: self-critique #2 Due Mar 15

Post  dariousb on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:43 am

I submitted this picture for assignment 15: shadows/reflections, I believe this was one of my least successful pieces of work this year due to my lack of effort. I altered the levels to much which drained the life out of the picture. The shadows transition down the stairs was poor; I should have blurred the edges of the shadow to make it look more natural. I centered the subject disregarding the rule of thirds which was a mistake. This was a poor background selection for the photo, due to the lack of color on the walls. My subjectís facial expression doesnít fit her pose; I should have at least made her smile.

Last edited by dariousb on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

dariousb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  celiae on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:09 am

I submitted this photo for the lighting project, i chose "fill light." i think overal that this is a poor picture. i made it obvious that i wasn't in a dark room when i took this picture, because you can see random objects in the background. i could have atleast put up a sheet to make the weak lighting source that i had seam a bit stonger. also the reflection of the light on the wood floor makes this picture seam a little odd, that would have been another good place for a sheet to go.

celiae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  csmith on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:27 pm

I turned this photo in for the scavenger hunt 'hearty'. I think this photo was poor for a couple of reasons. One, it's pretty plain. There's nothing that really catches your eye. Two, the cropping isn't very interesting or unique. The dog is straight in the center of the photo, with no angle or cool cropping. Three, the colors aren't very interesting. The plain colors are boring shades of white gray and black. Which sometimes can be fine, but didn't work in this photo. Overall, this photo looks like a plain mugshot of a dog.
csmith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Sparks on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:16 am

This is the picture I turned in for disarming. Although I liked the photo, it wasn't the best for an assignment. I didn't have any other pictures and I just put turned that one in because I thought it would work. The colors look odd, and the texture of the photo bothers me.

Last edited by Becky Sparks on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Becky Sparks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  melissa. on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:18 am

I submitted this photo for 'disarming'. This image is unsuccessful for a variety of reasons; mainly because of the poor overall quality of the photo. It looks like it was taken with the phone camera, because it's overly grainy and the colour quality is poor. Also, this is just plain uninspired. Any type of emotion that could have been in the womans face to make it more interesting has been obliterated by the grainy, dark quality of the photo which made her face, the focal point, simply blend into the background.
melissa.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sade_S.F. on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:19 am

I turned this in for the shadows/reflections project. I think this is the worst picture I've turned in because I didn't really try that hard to make it. You can't really tell what the shadow is supposed to be of,and I should have actually put the subject in the picture. The yellow on the bottom of the picture contrasts with the monochrome color of the rest of the photo..a photo in which I didn't take. I should have taken my own photos and put them together. Overall, this project should have been a complete do-over.
Sade_S.F.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JulieA on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:26 pm

I took this picture for disarming.
I don't like this picture because it's not very creative. It's more of a facebook picture than an artistic picture. There is also a big glare in the picture and it's not in focus.
JulieA

View user profile http://unlovedwarior.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  AlsoKnownAsShelbyK. on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 pm

This was for the scavenger hunt "Deplorable" I like the overall picture, but I do not like the angle I used to capture the knife. It looks like a birds eye view of a murder scene. I took the picture one handed so my body is actually in the shot (photography no-no.) The rug, the fire extinguisher, and the tool box are all facing a different direction than the knife, it doesn't have any symmetry. And at the bottom, you can see a sheet with butterflies on it, and the tile with the flower decals. Those aren't things that come to mind when you're creating an image of fear and death.
AlsoKnownAsShelbyK.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VictoriaW on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I submitted this photo for the scavenger hunt "PLIC- PLICIT- PLEX". I feel it is a very poor picture. The reason I feel it is a poor picture is because there wasn't any lighting. This was just a picture that was quick and easy. I think I just submitted this picture without even trying. The whole idea behind this picture wasn't even planned out before I took this picture. What I should have done was thought about this picture ahead of time. I don't like this picture at all.
VictoriaW

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/babyface.willis?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chelsgreg on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:21 am

This would have to be the wrost picture ive took, i feel as if its poor quality and i didnt put much effort into the assignment,the colors arent all that great i tired to use hard lighting but it didnt turn out to well in this photo.
chelsgreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maddiet on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:45 am

I submitted this in the thread for the scavenger hunt word choice but it was a alternative assignment. Its not a great photo. For one it looks very washed out and the darkest part of the photo is the area in focus. This makes the whole photo look out of focus.
maddiet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jennicuneo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:08 pm

I really do not like this photo at all. I took it for STAMINA and it fits what the word means, but its just not a great picture. For one thing it is blury and the colors are a little off, but besides that its ok.

jennicuneo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Christina M. on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:47 am

I took this photo for the scavenger hunt "elude." I think it is me weakest work because it has no definite color scheme, it is not very creative, and it was just like a last minute picture that was not well thought out.

Christina M.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Self Critique

Post  CarmelPwnzN00bz on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:27 pm

This photo is somewhat unsuccessful mainly because of the position of the light source. The light should have been aimed more near the subject's face. Since it comes from behind her, her face is too dark. Also, I should have used slower shutter speed or higher exposure to let more light in. It looks a bit orange.
CarmelPwnzN00bz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JessicaH on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 am

I took this photo for the scavenger hunt word Tangible. I don't like this photo because it's a little blurry and since it was done as just something to turn in, it's not that creative or well thought out.

JessicaH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaron on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:20 am

I turned this photo in for the prefix "chrom-or-chromo". I don't like this photo very much because of the simplicity of it. I thought it was too easy, I remembered i needed to turn in the assignment, and simply took a picture of what I was eating. I like the colors in the photo, but they dont work very well with the blurred background. I also dont think i focused on a very good point. I should have had more of the subject in focus.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  josephV on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:47 am

I really enjoy this picture because the unique positions that the model was in were very in sync, it looked as if one hand was grabbing the other one at the top of the picture. Then the color scheme matched the whole theme of the picture. Then the textured puzzle theme I put in was very great in my opinion.

josephV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KalebG on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:55 pm

God, I hate this picture.The main problem I have is the lighting and how messy the subject's environment is. I think if I were to re-take this, I would clear off the table, perhaps even do the photo in someplace in our school's upstairs computer lab, making sure it was easier to tell that the object on the disk tray is a plate.
KalebG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel D on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:25 am

I turned this in for "Deplorable." The main problem is the bright yellow can in the bottom half of the photo. It is very distracting, and it doesn't fit at all with the color scheme of the rest of the photo. Also, there are many clashing patterns throughout the photo; in the rocks, spiderwebs, and wire. The angle and lighting as well make for a pretty bad photo.
Rachel D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelaU on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm

i like this photo but i dont at the same time. i used it for the scavenger hunt "imperative." the major thing that's bothering me is the lighting of the picture. everything looks too yellow like someone spilled coffee on the picture or something. another thing i would change if i could retake this picture was the fact that i had my TV on and my laptop on in the background. it's kinda distracting noticing all the clutter on the dresser and in the mirror as well. to me this whole picture is kind of a mess and the only thing i like about it is the angle and focus, which i got lucky on having taken the photo of myself unable to look at the camera's screen.
AngelaU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:29 pm

All submissions have been graded.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  josephV on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 am

Im not really proud of this photo because it looks as if this photo was rushed. It was supposed to be the shadow of the person that was in it, but the shape of the shadow looks as if I cut it out really raggedy and pasted it on here. I know that its supposed to be a shadow but it still couldve been a little bit darker to add more presence. Usually shadows aren't right next to the person either, its where the sun casts, it wasnt realistic looking, even if I wanted to make it look like its a ghost by her.

josephV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian Pettus on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

These photos are from assignment 13. This is my worst mainly because it is not creative. Another reason is because of the poses would be funny. I was extremely wrong to make that decision. Lastly, the colors of the hallway, lockers, and the cloths they are wearing are too much.
Julian Pettus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 am

All submissions have been graded.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content