Assignment 39: Art Criticism Format Due Apr 21

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:16 am

Read the 4 steps of an art critique here: http://www.jmam.org/Wier%20Education/New%20pdf%20files/FourStepsinArtCriticismwebready.pdf

1. Using one or two sentences about each of the steps, summarize what the four steps are.

2. Select one work from a photography or design book in my room. List the book name and page number. Using the four steps as outlined in the link above, critique the artwork.

Grading (5 points total):

1 point: summary of steps
4 points: critique of art from book. (One point for description, one for analysis, one for interpretation, one for your judgment.)

Last edited by Admin on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 39: Art Criticism Format Due Apr 21

Post  josephV on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:31 am

The four steps basically tell you to first, list all of the visuals that you see right off back, then it says that you have to go into more detail and look more closely to what you see, then interpertate what this mean to you and what possibilities this painting might represent, the final step is to judge and see what and why would it be valuable to you.

The picture is a building with a very big dome and a sun-roof like hole in the middle of the ceiling with light beaming down from it. People are just walking around as if it's open to the public, there are no signs of sacrecy or guards at the front door. The painting shows the texture of the supporters of the building. This painting looks old or based off of an older time, judging by the color of it and what the people in the picture walking around are wearing. There are statues inside of the building look like they are created after gods or someone who is looked to have a very high authority. I think this painting describes and show that even though the building wasn't sacred the time itself was sacred because that era for that country was very flourishing with fine arts such as the building that the painter painted. I personally like it because of it's meaning and the value of the building and what it meant to the Romans at the time is very special. It's definitely benficial to people of today's society because it shows an example of how we should cherish our buildings and the art we should put into it. There are very few buildings in the world that are being built today that incorperate art and religion or even culture into it.

Young people's story of the Ancient World 500 B.C - 500 A.D Page 102

josephV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gotcha Covered: Look Book vol. 4 pg 34

Post  Sade_S.F. on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:37 am

Describe: Describe what you see in the photo,colors,shapes,objects. Tell what the overall mood of the picture is.
Analyze: How has the artist used the shapes,colors,objects,etc? Describe how it effects the picture.
Interpretation: Tell how the picture makes you feel? Tell how it relates to your life.
Judgment: Give your personal evaluation of the picture.

DESCRIBE: This piece is called "Halls of Trials". It is a photograph taken by a high school student named Tyler Ericksen. In this photograph,I see an overhead view of a boy walking,holding a book of some sort. He is walking over large tiles,and he isn't very illuminated by light. I first noticed the boy when i looked at this picture because he seems to be like a silhouette against the light on the floor. The colors are very neutral,either because of lighting or because of the camera setting. There are geometric shapes throughout the photo,with the square tiles and the square and triangle shaped shadows falling across the ground. The mood of the photo seems to be sort of serious,conveying a message of either loneliness or the "I have to face this on my own" sort of thinking or feeling.

ANALYZE:The neutral colors in this photograph allow the eye to focus more on the shapes of the shadows and tiles an the boy walking across them. The artist chose to either have or randomly capture his subject walking across the squares tiles on a sort of diagonal rather than following the straight edges. The subject instead follows the direction of the shadows,seemingly cast from window frames. The contrasting directions of the lines give the photo a feeling of complexity,yet the single subject seems to be quite simple. The artist chose to have the light coming from behind his subject,and at an angle where the ground was being highly illuminated.

INTERPRETATION: It almost seems as though the artist wanted to make it look like the subject was headed into darkness (which he technically was but let's use our imaginations). This picture almost gives me the feeling of walking alone,the light at your back...as if,when you're heading into the darkness,you can look back to the light and go back to the light when need be.

JUDGMENT:I think the artist created this work because he wanted to capture a moment in a hallway where a student was focused on his work whilst walking in a hallway,because of the obvious books and papers in his hands. Homework and schoolwork can be a challenge,almost like a trial,hence the title "Halls of Trials."It makes me feel as though each student stands out,each of them walking down their own 'halls of trials' almost...I like this piece but others may think it doesn't work out,maybe because of the lighting. The actual subject isn't illuminated well,as I said before. You can make out some detail of the boy,but not much. Honestly I think the focus was meant to be more on the light and shadows on the ground,but others may think differently.

Last edited by Sade_S.F. on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Sade_S.F.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JessicaH on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 am

The four steps for writing a critique are describe, analyze, interpretation, and judgment. Describing what you can see, like the artist's name, the piece's title, the type of artwork it is and when it was created. Analyzing the artwork's different techniques, like the color schemes, shapes and textures they used. Your interpretation of the piece and what you think the artist meant to say and how you feel about it.The last part is your judgment on the piece, this is your own evaluation on how you feel if its artistic enough or is worth anything.

In the picture "Flipping Out," you see a teenage boy jumping of some sort of railing, into a body of water where his friends are waiting and watching him. The subject is facing the camera, with majority of the lighting coming from behind him, making some of his features really dark and you can't see them well and the picture is done in black and white, possibly to give more focus on things you may miss if it were in color. The artist was probably trying to portray the fun that people have swimming during summer and the excitement people get from seeing stunts like this.

Gotcha Covered Look Book, Vol. 5 - Page 7

JessicaH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JulieA on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:48 pm

There are four important steps to critique art work. These steps are describe, analyze, interpret and judge. In the first step you basically just list all the details of the artwork and say what the title of it is. In the second step, you analyze what the artist was trying to do with all the details. The third step you make a personal interpretation of the art work. The last step you make educated observations and judgment.

Last edited by JulieA on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
JulieA

View user profile http://unlovedwarior.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Sparks on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:33 am

Basically there are four steps to writing a critic about something. Step one is describe, so you're describing what you see, the textures, information about the subject, etc. Step two is called analyze, where you figure out how the subject was made, and with which effects, what shapes, textures, and colours were used and how did they affect the subject and the overall feel of it. Step three is interpretation, where you describe what you think the subject means, what you think the artist meant, and what it means to you. Finally, there is step four which is judgment. What you think about the subject. Do you think the subject is worth anything, will it benefit others. What are your opinions on it, your rating.

I chose the picture "Monument Valley, Arizona, 1993". It was taken by Anne Leibovitz and was found in the book At Work on page 197. The photo is a landscape with large boulder like structures. The photo is not in colour, but more of just a sepia, almost black and white. The photograph is blurry and out of focus and the texture is rough.
The light is more in the background than in front, so one boulder is not highlighted by the sunlight, because of the light your eyes are more drawn to the background, and then drawn to the large dark rock to the side of the picture. The colours in the photograph are dreary and gloomy, yet still attractive to the eye.
I think the photographer wanted to catch the beauty of the scene, and decided to take a picture possibly in a moving vehicle because it's blurry. When I look at it I get a lonely feeling. I don't think the picture really symbolizes anything but how you can find beauty in anything. When I see it I honestly just think it was take not for art purposes, but just as picture of a family photo album to remember the trip.
Personally I believe this piece of work has more value and worth as a memory more than anything else. I feel the only person that would benefit from the photograph is the person that took it, possibly the people that were with her if there were any, and family members who wanted to see things that the photographer saw. I feel the picture would have been much much better with colour, rather than the sepia or black and white she chose to take it with. The picture would have been much more pleasing to the eye if it had not been blurry.
Becky Sparks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  melissa. on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 am

The four steps to art criticism are describe, analyze, interpret, and judge. In the first step, you must describe the all of the visuals and details such as the name of the artist, when the piece was created, etc. In the second step, you analyze the artist's use of colour, texture, light, and sensory qualities. In the third step, you must find the meaning behind the piece. In the final step, you evaluate the piece.

This piece is called "Suicide" (Russel Sorgi, 1942). The photograph depicts a woman plunging to her death after a fatal jump off of the Genesee Hotel and coffee shop. There are a few people inside of the hotel glancing out of the window, unaware that in a few moments they will see the bloodied, possibly unrecognizable corpse of this now lovely blonde woman.
The photograph is in black and white and somewhat grainy. It is also very well lit suggesting that it was taken midday. The boxy shapes and deep lines of the building and windows almost seem to frame the woman. The lack of motion blur makes it seem as though she's suspended in mid-air, delicately hovering over the coffee shop window.
The photograph tells me of a woman who was deeply troubled, possibly by the war. Perhaps she lost her husband or son to the war causing her to lose her will to live. It's obviously very a emotional piece due to the somewhat macabre nature.
Personally, I think it's a phenomenal piece. The photographer's timing was so perfect and precise, if he had waited even a few seconds more, he would have been too late and the opportunity would have been lost. This photograph could be of value to anyone who sees it because it's so powerful. The way life seems to dance with death, the sheer grace of the woman as she falls, such a composed look on her face. This photograph is just all around perfect..I don't know of a better capture.

Photojournalism, page 41

Last edited by melissa. on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:04 am; edited 2 times in total
melissa.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  csmith on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:49 pm

There are four steps to criticize art. The first step is to describe: Describe what you see. Information about the artwork and the artist, what you notice or catches your eye, and textures and shapes. The second step is to analyze: Analyze all the characteristics of the artwork such as texture, color, and lighting. See what kind of effect the artist is trying to portray. The third step is interpretation: Interpret everything you see in the piece and try to think of what the meaning or message is. And the final step is judgment: Judge the piece of art with your own personal opinion about it. Tell if you think it communicates a message well. And any other personal feelings you have towards the artwork.

The picture I chose is in a book titled Photography Nature. It is on page number 156, the bottom photo. –Describe: I see three lions. It looks like a mother and her two cubs. The mother is licking, most likely cleaning, one of her cubs. I see tall green grass, and yellow-tan fur. –Analyze: I believe the photographer is trying to portray a happy feeling with this photo. I notice the texture of the tall thin grass and the texture of the lion’s fur. I notice the shape of the round lion’s ears and their closed tight eyes. I notice it is day time here.
–Interpretation: I think the message here is just showing a day in the life of a lion. And even though there are rough times, this photo is portraying the good times, showing a loving mother and her smiling cubs. –Judgment: I personally love this photo. I think it shows joy. I like the simple colors of the green grass with the lion’s yellowish fur. I like how the photographer captured a nice moment in a lion’s life.
csmith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VictoriaW on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:56 pm

There are four steps to Art Criticism and these four steps are Describe, Analyze, Interpretation, and Judgment. To describe is when you identify everything you can see from the piece of art. Such as the title of the art work, the colors of the art work, and who created the art work. To Analyze is when you pay closer attention to the detailing of the art work. Such as what kind of colors were used (light,dark,dull, or very bright colors), what effects were used to create the art work, and also what shapes are use inside of the actual art. To use the step Interpretation is when you explain what the author's perspective of making the art work was. How did they feel about making the piece of art work, or even what was their purpose of even making it? To make a certain Judgment about a piece of art work is to give your own personal opinion about it. Tell the author what you thought about their work.

The photograph i chose is called the "Alice and Wonderland shoot". Pictured in this photo are Natalia Vodianova, Stephen Jones, and Christian Lacroix in Paris of 2003. This photo was taken by Annie Lebovitz. What I see in this picture is an adventurous theme. I see three figures posing as if they were sleep. I see different shades of blues and greens which all flow together. This picture looks as if it is trying to send a scary mood. As if something was going to happen. This picture seems kind of historic too because of the clothing that is being worn. It doesn't look like anything someone would wear now.
I think the photographer wanted to remake a childrens story into a real life story. She wanted to do a photo shoot that could possibly catch the eye of both adults and children. This photo makes me feel as if I am tired and having a bad day and everything continues to go wrong. The photographer wanted to test her skills to a higher level.
My personal opinion on this photo is that I love the way the colors coordinate well together. Its not sloppy (there isn't a bunch of different colors that don't go together just pieced together). I also feel that if I was able to create a photo like this I truly would. I learned how to set up a photo so that it looks like a scene and not just a regular photo. The photo basically shows how anyone can go beyond their wonders and it also shows connecting because they all make the same face. Overall this is a beautiful piece of art work.

Annie Leibovitz At Work page 130-131
VictoriaW

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/babyface.willis?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KalebG on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Describe: Describe the artwork, trying to make the person reading your critique see the art as you see it.
Analyze: Look carefully at how the piece uses basic artistic principles, as well as it's style and how it uses color.
Interpretation: What do you think the message the creator was trying to convey is?
Judgment: Overall, what do you think of the piece? Take all of the other steps into account.

“Truth^14” Pg. 45, far right.

This is a picture, mainly blue and white, of what seems to be a large bar of snow and ice within a sea of ice, looking off into the distance. There’s also two red sticks stuck into the bar just left to the center of the picture. One thing I notice is that the picture is divided into 4 layers. The top is the white sky, the second is the very light blue sea of ice, the third is the white ice bar, and the last is a dark blue ice with a bit of snow on it. I feel like the picture gives a mild tone of exploration, I think that may be due to the two red sticks, as well as the view of the horizon. If I had to pick what the creator was trying to convey, it would simply be the beauty of this landscape that he saw in front of him, nothing more, nothing less. Overall, I really like this picture. I really do love the layering effect that the picture has, as well as the calming, cold colors.
KalebG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlsoKnownAsShelbyK. on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:04 pm

These steps are saying to tell what you see, to describe what kind of artwork it is. Then it says to pick apart all the details in the picture, and see how the smallest details magnify the whole picture. Next it tells us to figure out what the painting might mean, how you interpret one message and someone interprets the other. The last step after all the others is telling us to judge it, to make our own perceived value of the work.

Describe: On the page of the photo, I see a woman in red, standing behind a small table with a tray on it. She has a napkin thrown across her arm as if she were about to serve someone. There is a candle holder with three candles lit. Around the woman there are three men, all of whom look very suspicious or sketchy. All of them are behind serving trays as well. The three of them look very over worked and tired. Compared to the woman they’re appearances are grimy and dingy.

Analyze: There is something suspicious about the woman as well, she’s picking up the serving lid like she were about to reveal something to you. All of the men are at hotdog carts and food stands, whereas the woman just has a plainly elegant table. The woman whose red clothing is the only outstanding source of color in the picture. Everything else is gray and metallic. And the shadows seem to encompass the rest of the room’s features.

Interpretation: What I have gathered from this picture is that the woman is a very high-class waitress, who takes pride in her looks and appearance. The three men seem to be just basic working class people, who have to work at hotdog stands just to make a living. There are big differences between the woman and the men. But also a few similarities, they both have jobs that are for the sole purpose of serving someone else.

Judgment: After all the picking apart I’ve done on this picture, I feel it is a very valuable piece. I feel that this picture gives the message that, no matter what class you are, you still have to serve someone, you will always be under someone’s thumb. Even though these are waitresses and food vendors, they have to make the public happy. I think the photographer who took this picture had that in mind when he did this. The effect was very well achieved.

Page 36, AtEdge Microview 8
AlsoKnownAsShelbyK.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelaU on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:09 pm

The four steps of criticism are describe, analyze, interpretation, and judgment.
Describe what you see, and what is known about the picture. Analyze how the artist used significant art principles and used them to organize the elements. Interpret the meaning of the artwork in your own mind. Judge the artwork with your own input.

the photo i chose was called "Stalking Tiger in the Osaka Zoo" on page 147 of the book "Photographing Nature"
Describe:
i see a black and white, blurred photograph of an adult Tiger prowling through some tall grass and trees.
Analyze:
the artist used the blur of the photograph to emphasize motion and really bring out the contrast of the blurred horizontal lines of the picture and the sharp vertical lines of the cat's stripes
Interpret:
i think the photo's purpose is more than to capture the beauty of the animal in it's natural habitat but it's movement and grace being undisturbed.
Judge:
the motion effect of the photo really captured my eye but what really drew me in was the contrast of the tiger's strips to the rest of the blurred image. just by looking at the picture, i can see how this animal walks and behaves.

Last edited by AngelaU on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
AngelaU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dariousb on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:16 am

Describe, Analyze, Interpretation, and Judgment
Describe: Let every visual aspect of the artwork be known, such as the name, origin, type of photo, shape and size, or even something as simple as its mood. Vivid descriptions such as these engrave a mental description in the viewers head regardless of them seeing the artwork.

Analyze: Mentally break the piece of artwork into categories; paying attentions to even the simplest details to build a meaning, even things that appear to have little significance can have an important role in building a theme. You also take small things into account such as the collaboration of the colors, and the role each color plays to give the artwork its elegance.

Interpretation: To each his on some might say, based on the clues the artist has left you, you build up and interpretation of what you think the artist was going for. Regardless of knowing it or not each and every artist makes a statement through their work either directly or indirectly, regardless of which way it’s out job to find out. After obtaining that information you come to a conclusion.

Judgment: After analyzing and trying to come up with an interpretation of the art work you judge it. You view every aspect of the photo separately, with true intentions of pointing out a flaw. To come up with these flaws you ask yourself questions, does the artist communicate his theme well? Does its individual qualities fit together like puzzle pieces? After taking things like this into account judge it.

Photographic Printing
P.77
Describe: I see a poorly merged face on the back of a hand; the colors are simple, black, white, and grey, which are a pretty good combination due to the fact that they all correspond with one another. The picture has a grainy outline as it’s merged onto the hand, most people might assume that the hand is of the person in the picture but it isn’t, the hand seems to be from a Caucasian woman or man still in his or her youth, whereas the picture is from a man far past middle age

Analyze: The motive or purpose in creating something this bizarre is still unknown to me. I attempted to mentally separate the picture from its background to find the slightest clue of why the artist might have created the piece of art. From my knowledge the artist only followed one of the many principles of art, contrast. The artwork lacked unity, harmony, balance, and proportion.

Interpretation: After close analysis I can’t seem to find the artists motive. To be honest I don’t believe the artist had one to begin with. A picture of an elderly man on top of a hand of a Caucasian person seems a bit random.

Judgment: I’ve come to the conclusion that this so called artist was experimenting with imagery merging; the poorly done merger lets me know this was a first attempt. The grainy outline of the picture should have been rendered better, to better fit hand. It would have also made more sense if the hand belonged to the man in the picture. The artist should have made his motive more clear to the viewers so we could have at least understand what he was trying to do.

dariousb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  celiae on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:32 am

describe: tell what you see when you look at the art.
analyze: pick apart each element and talk about it's components.
interpretation: what message was the artist trying to send, what is the meaning of the work.
judgment: judge the art. what you you think is it's value or worth.

book: Annie Leibovitz, At Work. page:153

describe:
The name of the photographer is Charleston. This is a photograph. The name of this piece is East Sussex. This photograph was taken in 1997. In the same year that this photograph was taken(On May 29, 1997) scientists announce new human species in 780,000 year old fossil.In this photograph there is a women(Nicole Kidman); dressed in black , a bed, a picture in a frame, a bed side table, a dresser, some flowers, a lamp, some pillows, and a powder blue wall in the back.When i first look at this photograph, i see Nicole Kidmans bright eyes and glowing white face. the rest of the room in dark so her pale skin stands out. There is an overal blue-ish tint to this whole picture. However, i see some black, some browns, hints of pink, some white, and some gold. There are quite a few rectangular shapes in this photo. and besides the bed all of the shapes seem to have pointy edges. even Kidmans eye makeup has some sharp edges to it. There are lines in the dresser, the picture on the back wall, and the bedside table. There is some soft wrinckled looking texture in the bed, a warn out chipping texture in the gold frame on the back wall, and a hard sleek texture to the furniture in the room.It looks like it could be night time, because the whole room is dark aside from the light that is shining on Nicole kidman. This photograph has a gloomy dark feel to it. Kidman doesn't have a particularly cheerful look on her face, plus all od the furniture and the lighting is wrather dark and old looking.

Analyze: The photographer used several dark(brown, black, gold)chunky pieces in this picture, however balanced them out with the light(blue, pink, white)colored bed and back wall. These colors give the picture a fragile, yet rough vintage look. There are many sharp edges adn pronounced lines in this picture, the sharpness of the furniture also helps to balance out the softness of the model and the bed. the texture in this picture is everywhere, since this is a photograph of real life there are several pieces in this picture that have real looking texture, such as in the bed, the picture frames and the meodels hair. there is a kind of casual spot light in this picture. it looks like the picture may have been taken at night but is being hit with a soft kind of light. there is a moodiness to this picture, partically because of the dark colors, the models intense eye makeup and the lack of much light shining on the elements.

inertretation: I think that the artist was trying to send a deep moody sort of message when he/she took this picture, because of the kind of elements that put a kind of dark cast on it. This kind of art doesn't speak to me personally, it doesn't have any kind of effect on me. however, for someone else this picture could be completly life changing, because they see something in it that relates to them in some way, or relates to their life.

judgement: i couldn't say how much i think this picture is worth, because it doen't mean that much to me i don't think it would be fare. i don't see a lack of value either in this picture, i don't dislike this piece of art, i just don't love it. it doesn't inspire me. this picture is probably worth something different to everyone, because it speaks to everyone differently. i think that this piece of art could be benetial to someone, i couldn't really put my finger on exactly what element could benefit soemone else, maybe it's somthing microscopic in the right corner that reminds somones of something in their life and because of that this is their favorite picture in the world.

celiae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Alternate Assignment 7th hour

Post  maddiet on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:33 pm

I've been doing yearbook.
maddiet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian Pettus on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:04 pm

The four steps of critique are something to keep in mind. First, describe the art work by its genre, colors, and its textures. Also find the name of the artist behind the art work. Second, analyze the art work’s colors, shapes, light, and textures, the artist used to create it. Third, interpret the art work. If the art work has a meaning, what could the meaning be? Or what was the statement the artist trying to get across using his or her art? Lastly, give your judgments on the art work. If it has benefits for others, tell what they are. Also think about if it’s appropriate or repulsive.

The photo I chose is called "Oops" by Adam Jasinek in the Gotcha Covered Look Book Volume 5. I found this to be a humorous type of photo. The background is a little awkward to me, but it does not interfere with the main focus, the skateboarder. When I analyzed the photo, I noticed most of the colors are either brown or a mixture of brown. Also I think the brightness and contrast is perfect. What’s also cool is that there are no distractions in the background. All my focus is on the skater. However, I have a hard time understanding the main statement. It does show how the title matches the photo. That could be the statement but I am not to sure. Luckily, I have no negative judgments. It actually brings a smile to my face. I myself try to make humorous photos, so this might give me motivation I need, for the next time I take a comedic photo.
Julian Pettus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jennicuneo on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:02 pm

The four steps of critique: 1st you have to describe the art work by its genre, and colors. You need to find the name of the artist who did the art work. 2nd you need to analyze the art's shapes, and textures, the artist used. 3rd look into the art work. Sometimes an art work has a message, what could that message mean? Last, but not least you need to give your own judgments on the art you are working on. Think about the different feels it has for yourself and for others.

The Book "It's A Book" had a great look on how the colors went with the story and how the shapes of the animals went with the colors and the story. The art spoke lots with out the words in this book. As some people say pictures are worth a thousand words. To me the pictures were great with the lighting of the colors and the movement in the shapes were unique.

jennicuneo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Christina M. on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:53 am

Describe: Look at the work and describe all the things you see such as the title, date, and name of the artist, as well as what types of objects are in the work.

Analyze: Pick apart the work and analyze the different shapes, colors, lights and darks, and textures of the work (look at what art principles were used).

Interpretation: Explain what you think the artist was trying to say with this piece of artwork. What mood does it bring and how does it make you feel? What does it mean to you?

Judgment: Give specific positive and negative criticism to show why you like or dislike the piece of work.

Photo Montage, Picture 65
This piece of artwork was created by Max Ernst in 1920. He named it “Here Everything is Still Floating.” The picture is black and white. The picture it sort of grainy except for a bird and a fish which are clear and stand out more.

In the picture there is a bird laying on its back. You can see inside the bird as if it were an x-ray of it. But the insides are not its organs but other objects. The bird also has the legs of a betel and other parts of different animals are added to it. It also has something sticking out of its stomach, like the barrel of a riffle or the funnel of a steam boat or factory with smock coming out of it. To the right of the bird, and a little above, there is a fish which also looks as if it is under an x-ray so that you can see the fishes skeleton. The background is a gradient going from black at the top to white, or light gray, at the bottom.

The picture brings a morbid feeling. It is some what simple but it has a great affect. I think this picture explains the pollution and all the damage people have done to our environment. I think it is trying to tell people that what we have done is causing death to our environment all around us.

I like this piece of artwork. I think it is very creative and well put together as well as giving a strong message as to what all the factories and things have done to our environment.

Christina M.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel D on Thu May 05, 2011 8:45 am

Describe: List the visual aspects of the art, such as color, shape, tone, and subject matter.
Anazyze: Discern how the aforementioned things have been used and make up the mood of the image.
Interpret: Guess at what the artist was trying to get across by creating this piece, and identify the feelings it creates.
Judgement: Tell what you think the piece is worth as a work of art, and the importance of the message it conveys.

Piece: Blood on a mission school wall (Annie Leibovitz At Work, p. 111)
Describe: This photo was taken after genocide had occured in Rwanda. The photo shows multiple bloodstains and bloody footprints that look like they are going up a yellowed wall. The whole photo has a deep yellow tint, and the lighting is focused on the center. The corner of the wall leads your eye from the bottom of the photo up, following the footprints. The wall abruptly stops before the ceiling, creating a darkened drop-off. The edge of the ceiling and the adjacent wall creates a thick dark line leading into the "drop-off."
Analyze: The artist seemed to have chosen the yellow/brown tint to create even more of a feeling of horror to accompany the blood. The lines almost seem to be leading to the footprint-wielder's demise, as they lead from where they seemingly started to down the drop-off and the end of the prints. The lighting in the photo is focused chiefly on the footprints, creating darkened areas everywhere else, adding to the horror aspect. There is a mood of passed danger and suspense.
Interpret: The photographer seemed to be documenting the genocide that had happened previously; it had been bloody and brutal. I think the photo shows the helplessness of the victims as they tried to run, bloodied, but did not escape. It is a statement against genocide, or perhaps to let the rest of the world know that this happens where we don't know about it.
Judgement: I think this photo has a lot of worth in the message it conveys as well as it being a very well-composed photograph. It seems like the sort of thing most people wouldn't photograph, but the fact that she did makes the message all the more important.
Rachel D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

art critique

Post  CarmelPwnzN00bz on Tue May 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Describing the photo is the first step in criticism, which is simply explaining what you see when you look at the photo. Analyzing is the second step, which is breaking down the photo and its elements: color, composition, symbolism and lighting. The next step to criticizing a photo is interperetation which means that you tell what you think the message, meaning or idea behind the photo is. The final step is judgement which is your final evaluation of the photo over all.

Mary and Her Mother on page 47 in "Photographing Children"

Mary and Her Mother is a photo by Edward Steichen from 1905. In this photo there is a mother holding a baby. The baby and mother are both dressed appropriately for the era: the baby is wearing a frilly white bonette and gown. The mother is wearing a white dress, and her hair is messy and tied up on top of her head in a bun. This photo is black and white, faded, and exposed in a way that distorts the clarity of the image, it is blurry and has a sort of glow to it. The image looks old and eerie. Mary (the baby) is looking directly at the camera with a blank stare which is somewhat disturbing, and her mother is looking at her in a calm and endearing way--how ever because the image isn't very clear it is difficult to tell whether her mother is happy or not.
Mary is being hoisted up in her mother's arms almost as if being displayed. There is a tree in the background, but the leaves of it are only visible above the subjects' heads at the top of the image. The background is washed out and you can only see the two people in the photo from Mary's mother's hip up. The mood of this photo seems kind of morbid, it doesn't give off a positive message about the relationship between the mother and daughter. However, the mood could have been accidentally created, because the photo seems as if it were shot at an awkward time.
I think that the photographer was trying to capture a moment between Mary and her mom, but as I said, the photo doesn't very clearly depict the emotions between them. The name of the photo itself is sort of telling as far as the meaning or intention behind the photo goes. The piece has a very cut and dry title, but it is specific. If the name were "mother and child" it would insinuate that the photo captured a typical situation or exchange between parent and child--it also has a more positive and loving vibe to it than the title given. Yet, calling this piece "Mary and Her Mother" is the best name, because it is clear that the circumstances are unsual, and the two of them have a very particular way of engaging--which the photographer did capture. It's difficult to judge this piece because it feels personal, as if you would need to know the people in it in order to say whether it was a successful shot or not. In general though, I like the eerie and aged feeling this photo projects; it is captivating in a strange way. Based on the seemingly intentional effects used in this photo, the mood and the moment it captures, I think the image is well done.
CarmelPwnzN00bz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon May 30, 2011 4:56 pm

All submissions have been graded.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content