Assignment 40: photo hunt AND CRITIQUE "scruffy" due April 21

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 am

Your scavenger hunt for this week is "scruffy."

You will need to:
1. Make sure the image is in focus, without camera shake.
2. Consider composition, color, lighting and the creativity of your photo.
3. Save the image for the web (save as a jpg for photos, and rotate so it is upright if necessary). File should be no more than 600 pixels in either direction, and file size is 50k or less. Reply to this thread with a post that includes your photo.
4. Submit a brief self critique of your work, using the 4 steps outlined in assignment 39.

Objectives:
Learning to think creatively within a set of guidelines
Evaluating your own photos

Grading rubric:
6 points.
1 - Taking the photo in focus.
1 - Creative interpretation of the assignment.
1 - Color
1 - Composition
2 - self critique.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 40: photo hunt AND CRITIQUE "scruffy" due April 21

Post  csmith on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:59 pm

self critique: -Describe: Trail is standing with his guitar in front of
a red brick wall. He is scratching his scruffy bear. -Analyze: The photo
is just trying to capture a moment in the life of Trail while scratching
his scruffy beard. -Interpretation: There's no real message with this photo.
I believe not every piece of artwork, or every photo in this case, needs
to have a message trying to be portrayed. -Judgment: I like this photo a lot.
I like the texture of the brick wall as a background. I like the position in
which Trail is standing.
csmith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlsoKnownAsShelbyK. on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Describe: There is a picture of two hands carefully holding a ball of cotton. The image is black and white, it looks almost as if she were petting it.

Analyze: You can see she's wearing a cupcake ring and the light is flashing off of it. The little lines and cracks that make up her hands are all scrunched up while holding the cotton.

Interpretation: There seems to be a message of gentleness in the picture. Because shes grasping the cotton so lightly, like she's afraid it'll go away if she holds it any tighter.

Judgement: Overall the message of the picture got across very well. I'm glad I took it in black and white, because the lack of color makes it a lot easier to see the simple features.
AlsoKnownAsShelbyK.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian Pettus on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Julian Pettus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

scruffy

Post  CarmelPwnzN00bz on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:44 pm

These are photos of Mr. Mitchell's overall "scruffiness." In the first photo he is grimacing at me in his usual way, and his scruffy beard is the obvious focal point. In the second photo, I wanted to capture another part of him that is scruffy (his arm). I put the watch in the photo to personalize it and create a connection between his face and hands/arms (two of the most expressive points on the human body in my opinion) You can visualize him in your mind just by looking at two small parts of him.
Both of these images are "scruffy," but I could have chosen a more creative representation of the word. Also, the qualities of the photos themselves are not very clear or attention grabbing. Although a close up can be intimate and powerful, a shot from farther away would have probably been a better approach in this case. The photos seem to be too literal.
CarmelPwnzN00bz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jennicuneo on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Describe: This is a friend and me hanging out and when I gave him a kiss his cheek was scruffy from his beard.
Analyze: The lighting in this picture is just astounding as well as the coloring.
Interpretation: It has a peaceful kind of golden glow to this friendly picture.
Judgment: I think that this picture is pretty good not one of my best, but a pretty good job for what was needed.

jennicuneo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Alternate Assignment

Post  maddiet on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:41 am

Yearbook- collecting/taking pictures for the dance department pages.
maddiet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  celiae on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:31 am

This is a picture i took of a hole in the dirt. The strings are actually grass and other long scruffy weeds. The light that is reflecting off the the jagged particles of the weeds gives this picture a beautiful texture. There is a mysteriousness to this picture, because without a description you might not really know what you are looking at, or which way to turn it. It reminds me of alice in wonderland when she falls in the rabbit hole. It's not the best picture i've ever taken, but i really like it. I think it's a nice/different way to illustrate the word scruffy.

celiae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  josephV on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:16 am

Had to re-post it because image was too large

josephV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JulieA on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:23 pm

I took a picture of a scruffy beard. The light in the corner is very distracting, but other wise the color theme is good. The picture is okay, nothing special. It's not to creative, but no to awful.
JulieA

View user profile http://unlovedwarior.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  melissa. on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:24 pm

The picture is of Jaya standing in front of a mosh pit at battle of the bands. The lighting causes a rather pleasing illumination of the blurred concert goers. Jaya's face is somewhat darkened because of this lighting arrangement. Because her hair is a bit disheveled, one would get the impression that she had just exited the mosh pit, causing some scruffiness. Overall, the image expressed the concept well and I enjoy the almost bokeh-like quality of the background.

Last edited by melissa. on Mon May 02, 2011 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
melissa.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  renglish on Sun May 01, 2011 1:25 pm

renglish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KalebG on Mon May 02, 2011 2:39 pm

This is a picture of my dog Murry, who kind of needs a bath and a haircut, making him scruffy. The picture is suppose to somewhat capture a sad feeling, with Murry staring somewhat longingly to the other side of the room. There isn't really a meaning to this picture, aside from making a picture that looks nice. Overall, this picture is ok, but I think I could have done a bit better. Perhaps waiting to take the picture until later in the day, when he would have been tied and more prone to laying down. However, this would also decrease the quality of the lighting, as it would have been dark out by then.
KalebG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VictoriaW on Tue May 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Describe- I chose a couple of bears that were given to me as Valentine's Gifts throughout the years of being with my boyfriend. The bears on the far end of the picture are in black and white, but there is a bear on the closer end that is colored because it is a little bit older and it is considered to be scruffy because it is rough and dirty.
Analyze- In this photo it is showing the difference of a scruffy bear and a newer cleaner bear and also the years that I have been with my boyfriend.(older and newer)
Interpretation- The message here is that over time older things get dirty and tend to fall apart and newer things come into the place of older things.
Judgment- I feel that this picture shows a lot of things and also I like the placement of the photo because I never planned for the picture to come out this way. I just found a certain object that would fit the word. I pretty much like it overall.
VictoriaW

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/babyface.willis?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chelsgreg on Wed May 04, 2011 1:37 pm

chelsgreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel D on Wed May 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Describe: A girl lying on the grungy ground, in somewhat fetal position, clinging to a stuffed animal. She is dressed in green, blue and black while the rest of the photo is split into white and brown. The lines on her are soft and curved, while the background and foreground have sharp, straight lines.
Analyze: The colors and the lines of the foreground give a sense of urgency, and the light from above seems to be bearing down on her, but both lead into the cool colors of the girl and her safe and guarded appearance. A mood of trying to stay safe against danger is created.
Interpret: What the photo means to me is that she's trying to keep herself and stay safe in light of trouble.
Judgement: I enjoy how the photo turned out, and how the colors and lines work together to create the feeling I was going for.
By the way, this represents scruffy because of the way the lovely, troubled girl is laying on the hard, dirty ground.
Rachel D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Christina M. on Thu May 05, 2011 8:25 am

Describe: in this picture is a toy rocking horse and a little girls hand is touching its scruffy mane.
Analyze: the horse is brown with a white mane. you can see the sleeve of the little girls hand is black and pink.
Interpretation: the mood of this artwork is childish and calm but playful. It is suggesting childish play.
Judgment: i think this work has descent cropping and creativity but it could possibly be better. but i think the focus is good as well.

Christina M.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZakB on Sun May 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Describe: This is a picture of the singer of The Handsome Furs singing into a microphone at an outdoor gig. The image is in black and white.

Analyze: You can see the details of his face and the veins in his hands very easily in this photo due to the sharp focus and vivid contrast.

Interpretation: There is a strong emotion in the photo. You are drawn to look at the man singing and the framing makes you feel like you are there watching him perform.

Judgement: The black and white makes this photo work quite well. It lets us focus more on what is happening and less on the distractions of colors. It also allows us to see more contrast in the photo.

PS- I couldent make it 600 pixels because this was a scan of something I shot in film and I can't make it any larger.
ZakB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon May 30, 2011 5:00 pm

All submissions have been graded.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelaU on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Two dogs tugging on a knotted up sock, one black and white, the other white and brown both standing on gray shag carpeting. The white dog's scruffy curly hair contrasts greatly with the black dog's soft fluffy fur. The colors in this photo consist mostly of shades of white, gray and black. The lighting on the top outline of the dogs is a bit too strong and make it hard to depict detail in the fur and part of the shag carpet. Overall the picture somewhat resembles the complete opposites of these two dogs; the scruffy, white, old male - and the well groomed, small, black, spunky female.
AngelaU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 am

All submissions have been graded, thread is closed to further submissions.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top