Final exams

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Final exams

Post  Admin on Mon May 23, 2011 2:02 pm

If you are a senior, a multimedia major and in Digital Img II, your final project will be printing and matting 3 pieces for the graduation display. (One or two may already be matted from Friday's art show, I want a total of 3 pieces for the display.) I also want a short bio (can be an artist's statement or future plans, make it professional).

If you are not a senior with a multimedia major your final will be to select one of your pieces that you have not already used for a critique in this class, and give me a critique on it using the format from assignment 39:

Describe
Analyze
Interpret
Judge

Label each portion of your critique. The format that Sade used in her reply to assignment 39 is the format I'm looking for: http://artsacademy.forumotion.net/t702-assignment-39-art-criticism-format-due-apr-21#10329

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Final exams

Post  celiae on Thu May 26, 2011 8:40 am

Describe:I didn't give a title to this picture. It is a picture of my living room in the mornig when the sun is peaking in through the windows. In the center of the lit area is a glass cup fill with a yellow colored mango smoothie. Coming towards the cup is my hand, it looks like my fingers are making a snapping gesture. Behind the lit up portion of the picture is a white couch, and beneath is a reflection of the lit up scene on the hard wood floors.

Analyze: For the most part this picture is kind of dark and grey. the lit up triangle is the main focal point of the picture, within that light is a rectangle of yellow which really makes that portion stand out the most. The hand coming towards the cup has a redish orangish tone to it which compliments the yellow color. All of the colors in this picture that are warm seam to stand up against the cold grey tones of the rest of the picture. theres is also a grey blue area located on the bottom to middle left of the picture, this area ties right in with the tiny blue area in the top left corner where the snow is sticking to the window.

Interpretation: I see this picture as being like a little sample of life. This picture for the most part gives off a sad grey moody feel. but right in the middle of nowhere there is a beam of light and warm joyful colors that almost seams to cancel out all of the sadness because all you can see and all that stands out is the beautiful elements of this picture. Just like life it often seams like the majority of how we live is sad or moody, but if you look close enough there is some kind of joy hidden within all of the sadness.

Judgement: I really love this picture, everything about it basically makes me happy. the shapes the colors the feel of the entire photograph just ties in to me. I don't say this too much about my pictures, but i really don't see much of anything i would change about it. The position of the hand in the middle left has just such a relaxed look, it just gives the rest of the picture a layed back feel.

celiae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KalebG on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Describe: This piece is an untitled one by a fellow know as Kaleb Gorde. It was taken relatively recently, October of 2010.The picture seems to take place in a room filled with clutter, but it's somewhat hard to tell as the background is out of focus. what is in focus appears to be a slide from an older projector. Reflected within it's film, we can see a closed door, a part of a white wall, and a grayish thing on said wall. The slide crates a line slashed across the photo to the left side.

Analyze: The colors used in this are fairly muted, aside from one blurry blue blob in the background. Aside from that, however, the background blends together, making the lone, defined slide stand out more. The whole picture give off the air of a hospital or doctor's office, very sterile, it mostly using Grey scale and muted colors. The white on the slide makes it stand out a bit, almost as if it were glowing, drawing attention to the reflecting in the film. The blurry background makes it appear fuzzy and uncertain, while the slide it sharp and slick.

Interpretation: I believe that the picture is supposed to give the viewer a feeling of dread. dread f what my be behind that door reflected in the film. you stare a it until you can't focus on anything else, hoping beyond hopes that the door dose not open. And it dose not. But the sterile environment you are in freezes time, making you always fear a moment that you had thought at one point would come to pass.

Judgment: Overall the picture is ok. It dose have many positives. The out of focus background draws attention to the slide, which houses the main part of the photo, the reflection. The fact that the reflection is through a slide adds to the fear that the photo invokes, as if you were hiding facing away from the door, and found you could view it trough the slide, forever checking that whatever is searching for you dose not enter. However, there are some fatal flaws that keep this picture from being as good as it could be. First of all, the blue object in the background should have been removed. It's a bit distracting. second, the reflection could have been done better. Perhaps the photographer could have tilted the slide so that more of the door was reflected in it, or have the door partially open. They even could have had the door open a it with someone menacing looking in.
KalebG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelaU on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Describe: this is a photo-manipulation by Angela Ulinski. I see a silver fox that appears to be rotting with its ribs, spine, and intestines exposed walking along a rocky path with grass and plants around it. The fox's snout is reduced to bone, its tail and ears are half chopped off, its eyes are glowing an eerie white and rings on its head shoulder and thigh are skinned off its body. The fox is walking in some-what of a limping motion while it leaves a trail of blood behind on the rocks and green fog is coming out of its nasal cavities. The first thing I notice when i look at this picture is the bones and insides of the animal because it's not something you'd see every day. It especially pops out from how much concentration of red there is in that area compared to the green surroundings. The rocky areas have a very jagged texture compared to the smooth blurred leaves in the background. The smooth texture of the bones contrast to the fuzzy texture of the fur on the animal. It appears to be early nightfall since the colors have a dim tone to it. The overall mood of the picture looks like it's meant to create an eerie unsettling feeling to the viewer.

Analyze: The artist used a high concentration of red shades on the insides of the creature and the trails of blood to contrast with the green vegetation and fog around the animal, to draw your eyes to the exposed skeleton. The spine then leads the viewer's eyes down towards the head. She also contrasted the black, dim fur to the gleaming, white eyes to draw your attention to the face and let the eerie feeling set in, as if the fox was staring through you. The shading and coloring of the organs give the illusion of a smooth, slimy texture when in reality those objects aren't even there, as well as the muscle and bone revealed in the skinned rings on its body. The artist didn't so much work with shadows but more so worked on making the light of the entire picture dim to create that nighttime effect and used the light of the eyes for emphasis on the creepiness of this creature. The creepy stare, the eerie green fog, the exposed insides, and pained walk; the artist really captured the feeling of 'if you saw this creature coming towards you, you should run'.

Interpretation: The fox almost seems like it was tortured in it's life and now that it's decaying body is reanimated, it's coming back for revenge or its wandering around aimlessly in eternal pain and suffering. The green fog and glowing eyes seem to be the warning sign that it's near and once it finds you it will not leave you be. It gives the message that karma is going to haunt you. It seems since the animal was abused, it's come back to haunt the abuser. It shows if you do something bad, what goes around comes around. It says the truth of wrong doings is ugly and people will regret what they've done sooner or later. No one wants to look back or be reminded of if something they've done is wrong but sooner or later it will come back to bite you in the butt; hence the exposed jawbones.

Judgement: If people can get past the blood and guts of this picture, they may be able to see the meaning behind that their actions will haunt them. The picture does a good job at contrasting colors because green and red are opposites as well as black and white. The movement of the picture is good because it directs your eyes from the legs, the tail, the spine, the ears, and the snout all to the glowing white eyes of the fox. The work communicates the idea by showing the creature as something you wouldn't want to run into and also showing that the animal is suffering a great deal, the eyes portraying it's looking for something. However, the cluster of organs and ribs seems a bit much and gives it a bit of an overkill of exposed decay. The green fog also could be lessened a bit so there isnt too much green in the picture.
AngelaU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlsoKnownAsShelbyK. on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Describe: The photographer who took this image is Shelby Klobucar. In this image you see what looks like a bathroom sink, there are various objects scattered around it. They look like they were purposely placed around to look messy and create a feeling of disarray. Some of the objects are opened so as to look as if someone was using them and then left suddenly. Most of the objects in close focus are makeup products, lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, etc. In the back you can see a few sticks of deodorant all lined up together. Some of the parts in the picture are fuzzy, and there is a lot of over exposure. There are many colors in the picture, a tube of engine red lipstick, and the wall of the bathroom is an electric blue. At first glance, the picture seems, almost nostalgic.

Analyze: Even though the colors are very bright, they seem very muted as is some of the light was sucked out. Almost like an old picture. There are mostly circular shapes, a few straight lines bring a little symmetry to the picture. The counter that the objects are on has a very intresting texture, like someone tried to paint over a rough material and it still left and imprint. There aren't very noticeable shadows but in the upper right there is a sliver of natural light coming through a window reflecting on the wall.

Interpretation: In this picture it seems the artist was trying to convey a message of youth, of something remembered. When you look at it, you remember yourself as a young girl getting ready for school, trying to put on your makeup and get out the door for the bus. You almost want to go back to that time, to have that simple youth again, and not know all the frightening things you do now. With youth is innocence, and this picture, the artist wants you to see how we have grown, but how we can still reflect on ourselves with these objects, how every time we use them, we recall what it was like to first put on lipstick.

Judgement: For the value of this picture, it is very high, everyone needs to remember what it was like to be young. Many people lose sight of whats important in life, and this picture reminds them that no matter what, you will always have your memories. And for people who have had a painful past, or who never had a chance to be young, they can look to this picture and think of a better place, a place they could be in. Overall, the artist did achieve the message they were trying to get across, it gives a nostalgic feeling, taking a dip in the past and coming back with new found respect for it.
AlsoKnownAsShelbyK.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Final exams

Post  VictoriaW on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Description: This is a photo taken by Victoria Willis. The title of this photo is "Deplorable". What I realize in this photo is that the door is completely missing and also that there is trash lying all on the inside of the house. It looks as if there is a screen to a door near the room in the back. This obviously is the front of this home. Glass is broken and wood is on the floor. It looks like a lot of terror was caused in this home. Also telling by the looks of this home, it doesn't seem that this is a safe neighborhood for a child to live in. From the looks of this picture the condition of this home is damaged. The damaged house sets the mood for sadness to be here.

Analyze: In this photo you can see that all of the colors complement the other colors. All of the colors are deep and can fit the mood of the actual subject being captured. The bricks on the outside of the house have a glassy look to them and the lines around the bricks are continuous around the house. The white on the frame of the doorway shows that this house may have been a little older because the white is cracked and there are darker spots on the white paint. Mainly inside the home the colors are blue, white, black, and brown, which are a darker set of colors. Darker sets of colors together usually mean that something is empty and lifeless, as if danger was caused in the area.

Interpretation: What I think this photo means is that no house should look like this and someone should do something about it before every house looks like this. What I have noticed from this photo is that it gives off a gloomy feeling. I feel down for this house looking the way it does. Also I have grasped that the previous owners didn't take care of this home when they were living there. This pictures clearly shows how much damage has been made. Also this picture sends different thoughts to my head like, "If the front of the house looks like this, I wonder what the rest of the actual home looks like. This doesn't look like a home any regular person would buy. The type of person that would buy this house, would probably want to tear it down and rebuild.

Judgment: In my opinion this photo has the criteria for what is was supposed to show because it has all of the moods set right by using the darker colors to show how intense the moment is. The photographer shows in this picture the important detail of how she wants to capture the most important part of the house, and also the part of the house that is in the worse condition. The photographer wanted to make it clear that she was more focused on the condition of the inside of the house rather than the condition of the outside of the house. This photo makes me want to go out and help fix abandon houses like this just so the neighborhood can look decent. Also if more houses were to be rebuilt, more people would want to live in the neighborhood. This photo is giving a positive message that u have to look deep into the picture to explore, but it does have its flaws.
VictoriaW

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/babyface.willis?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  csmith on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Describe: The name of the artist who created this piece of artwork is Catherine Smith. It is a photograph. The title of this piece is called 'Still'. There is a gray boardwalk extending far away from where the photographer is standing. There are a few small benches along the walkway. There is gray/blue water underneath the boardwalk which is mostly still with little waves. There are black silhouettes of trees far in the distance. And behind the trees is a sunset, fading from white to an orange/pink color. When I first look at this photo, I see the boardwalk because the size of it is huge compared to the sizes of the other objects in the photo. I see colors of gray, blue/gray, black, white and orange/pink. In that order I see those colors. There's texture of the wood, the waves on the water, and the branches reaching out from the trees.

Analyze: The artist used colors by taking dark colors and leading them to the lighter ones. The colors are calming because they're soft and not vibrant. Lines were used greatly in this piece of work. The boardwalk has parallel vertical lines leading away into the distance. It gives you the feeling of being led somewhere. The texture of the little waves is small but still important in this photo because it shows that there is movement in the scene. The artist used the natural light of the sunset and the darkness of the evening in a way that fades together. It shows a moment between lightness and darkness.

Interpretation: I believe the artist's statement with this photo is to show what stillness looks like, hence the title. And the stillness in nature. When you look at this photo you get the feeling of being calm. You feel as though you're almost there on that boardwalk watching the sunset. I think the artist took this photo because she was trying to capture the moment of between the evening and night when the sun was setting. And how it's calm and quiet.

Judgment: I think this photo has value because when you look at it, it's a sort of escape. And people sometimes are looking for that escape for even a little while. I like how the colors are calm and not vibrant because it would contradict the message of the calmness of the moment. I like the viewpoint this photo was taken from because it kind of shows where you are standing now and where you are going in one photo. It's a neat effect. This photo almost gives you the feeling of being tired because the colors are starting to get darker and the feeling is getting calmer. And finally what I enjoy most about this photo is that it captures a moment in nature when the day is winding down.
csmith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  janea' j on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:37 pm

-Description
The photo I am critiquing is called "Ying and Yang" which was taken by Janea' Jones. It is a photo a loving couple huging eachother in front of an artistic door way being happy and in love with eachother. When I look at the photo the first thing I notice the girls bright red sweater and her very light skin because the lighting of the picture is bright as well as her skin. The colors in the photo vary between light and dark because they guy has on a black sweater and the girl has a bright red candy apple sweater on, but something that kinda catches my eye is the color of the wall in the background which is a sea green-ish color with gold spots on it and the door has many colors on it such as red, black, orange etc. There are diffrent shapes in the photo many rounded shapes and some with pointed edges, and the wall in the back is made of squares and the light switch is squared with pointed edges also. The photo gives off a loving type of feeling because it has a happy setting to it, there is no bad tention in the photo and the colors gives it a warm touch.

-Analyze
The colors in the artwork doesn't really change anything about it because even without the colors it would still give off the same good energy but, the artist did have the colors blended together well. The colors do give the photo a good effect because there natural warm and dark colors and the shapes really bring some type of edge to the photo. The texture of the colors are not as relaxing because they are so bright but, they do give it some meaning. The photo does not have great lighting because the girl in the photo is so bright and he sweater shes wearing is as well.

-Interpretation
The statement this artwork give me is that hatred is not everywhere in the world and that there are still people who love and care about eachother and are as one. This particular piece of work does not relate to me so much because I dont have a relationship like that. When I look at this photo it kinda makes me feel happy in a way but in another way it makes me have a blank feeling but I cant give a reason why. I think the artist chose to work in this manner because it was a hearty moment for the couple and she wanted to capture that moment.

-Judgment
The photo is a nice piece of artwork and maybe can be inspirational to someone else but I don't think the value is worth that much because of the bad lighting, although, it does convey a good message to the world about love and caring about people. I personally think the photo could have been a bit better butit is good the way it is and it is a positive photo and maybe will help other love.

janea' j

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Piotrowski on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:39 pm

DESCRIBE: the artist who took this photo was Julie Piotrowski. it is a photo of a duck standing on a road or sidewalk. when you first look at the photo the ducks head or mainly his eye is where you first look. its daytime outside and you can see this from the way the sun strikes half of the bird.you can see the texture from the ground is quite rocky and the feathers are distinct. the ground is a cool grayish blue color and the bird is full of warm browns and golds and it looks even warmer where the sun gleams over it. the contrast in the temperature of the colors is balanced really well and makes it look inviting and intriguing.

ANALYZE: there is a good mixture of bright and dull colors in this photo. although some of the colors are bright they are at the same time subtle and relaxing. there is a lot of roundness to this photo as well. the shape of the duck is oval and same with the head as they are the main focus of the picture and on the ground you can see lots of individual rocks and little pebbles and most of them are round too. i believe this makes it to be a happy picture. the sunlight illuminates half of the body and face which had to be taken at just the right moment at just the right angle to make it work.

INTERPRETATION: in this photo the duck is looking into the camera so it makes it seem as though hes looking right at you. you can tell that hes a little interested maybe in hope that you will give him food but is still somewhat afraid as his duck-nature calls him to be towards humans. you can see a spark of wonder in his facial expression and he looks friendly but also willing to put up a fight if he has to. i think the artist was trying to imply that if you be patient gentle and willing you can win the heart of even the meekest creature. when i put myself at the scene of this photo it makes me want to sit and wait to see if the duck will come closer and decide to put its trust in me. it makes me feel happy and intrigued and also calm.

JUDGMENT: i believe that this is a beautiful photo captured at just the right moment. it works well because it is nicely balanced in color and temperature and the angle isn't overbearing. it may have a lot of value and meaning to someone who maybe isn't able to get close to any forms of wildlife so a well taken photo would be greatly appreciated to them. the only thing i would have changed is making sure the feet of the bird were not cut off. if they hadn't been this photo would have been breathtaking, but all in all i thought this was a beautiful picture and a job well done. Smile
Julie Piotrowski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Cookie Taker

Post  jennicuneo on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Describe: This picture is by Jennifer Cuneo. The name of the art work is The Cookie Taker. The colors are like a mix of dark and light. They are warm colors like red and blue and some white. The cookie goes really well with the guy in the white hat's skin color the pinks really look warm and soft. The guy in the red shirt is really mad at the guy in the white hat because he is eating his cookie.

Analyze: They used very warm dark colors but there are a couple light colors too. There is a curve in the picture that is quiet interesting, the curve of the guy in the red shirt's sunglasses goes really well with the curve of his ear. The lights above them on the wall give off a mysterious glow that is haunting, but at the same time kind of warm.

Interpretation: In this picture there is a conflict. The guy in the red shirt looks mad, but if you were to look in his eyes you would see that he is really trying very hard not to laugh. The guy in the white hat looks very scared and looks as if he is going to be beat to death for taking the red shirt's cookie. With this picture there is so much going on, but not much in the picture. The feelings that come out of this picture are just amazing there are so many of them. There are Happy, Mad, scared and almost a thrill of what could happen if the guy in the blue hat eats red shirt's cookie. The artist must have taken this picture because it is a hard picture to really read and study. It's not a picture you can just pick up and look at it's a picture that you really have to get dirty with in order to explain what is really going on in the picture.

Judgment: The picture sets it's scene for its self. It has value because it's a picture that has colors that blend well and it has a warm inviting feeling. It also gives away that this scene is all a show. It is a beautiful picture with a great show of friendship. This picture would be able to reach out to others. It would catch people's attention if they were to walk by the picture. People would be able to see that this picture is all a joke and that the cookie will never be given back to red shirt. The effect this picture would have on people is to just laugh and to remember it for a long time.

jennicuneo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JulieA on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Describe: This photograph is untitled, it was taken by Julie Ayres. In the photograph you see a young child who looks very upset in the foreground, and in the back ground three older boys playing a game of some sort. The younger child is facing the camera. The central focus of the photo is the young boy. The lighting seems natural, from the sun and the colors in this photo are very bright and contrasting, except for the oldest boy who is in all black. The shadows of the older boys create a line which is connected to the shadow on the boys shirt of his arm, it seems like the same shadow but really its not. Each older boy are an equal distance apart. The theme of this photo is rejection.

ANALYZE: In the photograph it seems the older the boy, the more dark the clothes they are wearing. The youngest boy is wearing a bright orange shirt, representing innocence. The next oldest boy is wearing a bright green shirt, and he seems to be more inviting to the young boy. And the next oldest is wearing a light brown. And the biggest boy is wearing black, he seems to be the dark force telling the young child 'NO'.

INTERPRETATION: This photo conveys rejection. The young boy couldn't understand why they told him no, he was crushed and rejected. The photo makes me think back to when I was young and my parents wouldn't let me do things that were dangerous and I didn't understand why, so I took it as rejection and betrayal.

JUDGMENT: This photo really makes you remember what it was like being a little child being told 'no' all the time. The photo is in focus, and the lighting is very natural.
JulieA

View user profile http://unlovedwarior.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  melissa. on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Description: The photograph is untitled, it was taken by Melissa Schoenherr. The photograph conveys a young man with wild hair, the word "yes" written on a clean cut strip of paper covering his eyes, the word "no" written on a strip of ragged paper covering his mouth. The photograph was taken in the compositional style of rule of the thirds. The background consists of multiple beige doors.

Analyze: The artist used dark, neutral colours, mostly shades of brown and yellow. The deliberate blandness of the background allows all of the attraction to be directed toward the focal point (the boy's face). The boy's face is more illuminated than the rest of the picture, with the exception of the shadows underneath the paper on the eyes. The square and rectangular shapes on the doors give the background an almost abstract feel.

Interpret: The photograph appears to be the physical manifestation of the fairly common pick-up line "Your lips say 'no' but your eyes say 'yes'". The ragged 'No' strip represents a cold, harsh tone of voice but the smooth, clean cut softness of the 'Yes' strip shows the truly flattered emotions lying within the eyes of the individual.

Judgment: The photograph has worth because it has unique concept. It certainly isn't astoundingly revolutionary, in terms of deep meaning but it's fun and interesting to look at and decipher. The composition of the piece is effective and it makes it aesthetically appealing. I don't believe the piece will have a great impact on anyone. The photograph could be forgettable to someone who doesn't enjoy observing and thinking about the meanings behind a piece, since the meaning isn't too obvious.

melissa.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  josephV on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:26 am

DESCRIBE: This photography is called "Deplorable" by an AAW student named Joseph Verge. In this photo, things are all over the place. There is a girl covered up in a sheet as if she is cold, the room is relatively darkened. The lighting fixtures seemed to be more focused on whats behind the young lady rather than on her. There is even a random chord in the background hanging. There is a keyboard sitting on top of what seems to be a wooden box in front a radio. In the far upper left hand corner there are bottles, they are scattered and one is even toppled over, there is a white sheet hanging to the left of her.

ANALYZE:The color scheme is very consistent, it has a dark tone. The table in the back of the picture is very dusty to give the photo that "gloomy effect" to tie in with the concept of the photo. The concept of the photo is supposed to be a ran down place where its not supposed to be observed as clean, welcoming, or warm. The photo really succeeds in the whole "Deplorable" look. The chair makes it seem as if thats her bed the way she is holding the sheet, and most of the time, chairs aren't the most relaxing thing to sleep on, on a daily basis, which also contributes to the theme of the photo. One other part of this photo that adds to the theme is the dis-organization of the items in the background, the random things does not make the place look "Home-like". When you think of a home most people think of organization as a key factor to a nice welcoming home.

INTERPRETATION: Since the whole concept of the photo is ran down, dis-organizational and bad quality, the artist purposely took a lower quality photo in order go with the theme. The effect of him misguiding the light off the girl and on the background is to show how a person's enviroment can affect a person's behavior towards anything. If you live in an unorganized place, your whole life will be unorganized and etc...

JUDGMENT: I really enjoy the photo because of specifically the low quality he did to incorperate into the theme, I really liked that part. I also like the lighting, how he placed it to be more focused on the background. The lighting tells a more deeper story than just for it to look "cool". I think all photography should be like that, for everything in it have a purpose, not having something, then making up a purpose for it. This picture also catches a dark mood which was intended so people can have sort of a one on one connection with it, so they can actually "feel" or "catch a vibe" from the photo. The scattered items also brings out the dark tone that was meant for the photo, showing the bad quality within the subject's home.

josephV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sade_S.F. on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:52 am

Description: The name of this piece is Choice, the artist being Sade’ Faulkner. In this photo, there is a girl walking down a tunnel of what seems to be an over-pass. There are orange lights on the ceiling and graffiti on a chipped concrete wall. The ground is wet and parts of the support beams are rusted over. One would be led to believe it is daytime, considering the fact that you can see through the tunnel to the other side which seems quite bright, and on account that the tunnel seems well lit by natural light.

Analysis: The colors in this photo go from somewhat neutral into a bold contrast. The light foreground adds to the intense effect of the less subtle background. It gives the feeling that the girl is walking towards something more than what it is that she’s walking away from. The lines in the photo all lead your eyes to the girl and the sidewalk leading through the tunnel. The shapes are mostly all blocky except for the graffiti and the girls body, giving the picture almost a uniform look. The textures in the photo, including the chipped concrete wall and the rusted support beam all add a visually appeasing atmosphere to the picture. The natural lighting in the front of the picture seems to give a calm feeling before heading into the dark of the tunnel contrasting with the harsh brightness of the orange lights overhead, which gives off a more intense air.

Interpretation: I believe the artist meant to capture the feeling of making the choice to walk into the dark to find the light which is beyond it. This piece makes me feel as though we all should step up and make a choice as to whether we are prepared to walk alone down the dark path to find our own light. The artist most likely felt that working with a single subject walking under a bridge was a good way to make a point about choosing to do something or not. When one is left alone to make a choice, it is often hard for them, but the girl in the photo who did make that choice seems to be walking with a confident stride. Her head is up, her hands in her pockets, back straight, and not looking back.

Judgment: This piece has a benefit for others who are willing to see the “choice” being made. I feel that it gives almost a liberating sense of personal power; to be able to face a dark tunnel and be confident that you’ll step out into the light on the other side. Having the subject in this picture blocking the light before her, it almost gives off a daunting feelings, but when you look on the left, you can see the light on the other side, which lets you know that there is an end to the dark of the tunnel, that there is a brighter side. I believe the main focus wasn’t just the girl herself, but the tunnel and all the elements of that tunnel. Although some may believe that it was a poor decision to have the girl wear a black coat as she walked into the dark, I think it adds to the overall atmosphere of the photo.
Sade_S.F.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JessicaH on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:11 am

Describe: This photograph is Untitled, taken by Jessica Hanselman. The photo is of a girl sitting outside looking at the ramen noodles she's holding with a fork. You can see snow and leave-less trees in the background suggesting that this was taken sometime in winter. You can see cars and a sign that were in the parking lot and you see the fences from homes in the background as well.

Analyze: There is not a set color scheme in place, but the photo has lots of lighting making things brighter. The colors of the brick wall in the background match with the girl's skin tone and the cars and sign in the background match with the girl's bracelet and the design on the jacket she's wearing. The color of the noodles stand out being the only thing that has a yellow color. There is a shadow coming from the girls arm, covering part of her face and neck.

Interpretation: The photo doesn't seem to have a certain meaning to it, but you could probably think of a meaning as you look at it. When I look at the photo I wonder what the look on her face is exactly, to get a better grasp at what the meaning could be. The photo seems like one that was taken at a random moment, therefore was never meant to have any meaning to it at all.

Judgment: I think this piece does have some artistic value as it wasn't badly taken and has an interesting subject that someone might look at it and try and find what the meaning might be. I think it would be a piece that would not be that someone would remember a long time after they first viewed it, or regarded as an amazing piece of artwork. I do like the photo and was good for showing what it was supposed, which was the lighting source.

JessicaH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel D on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 am

DESCRIBE: This photo is called Immortality. In it we see a small lit candle in a tinfoil pan, and a pointing hand off to the side. The colors are all very dark, consisting of mostly reds amnd blacks, save for the yellow-white of the candle. There are no harsh lines or edges, and most of the photo is enveloped in darkness. The shapes are rounded throughout the photo. The first thing you notice is the candle, followed closely by the disembodied hand.

ANALYZE: The photo gives off an overall haunting and dangerous tone. The light from the candle is barely enough to illuminate the candle itself, so there is much more darkness and shadow than light, aiding the eerie feeling. The soft, blurry edges and the way the hand's red emerges out of the black also contribute.

INTERPRET: The photo seems to represent sorcery or something from beyond. The disembodied hand being waved over the candle seems like it should belong to a phantom. The fact that nothing is visible beyond the pan and the hand gives a feeling of foreboding and fear of what's beyond the veil of darkness.

JUDGE: I believe the photo does a good job of giving off a haunting feeling. The colors blend well into eachother and the lighting sets a perfect mood. Overall, I believe the photo is rather impressive.
Rachel D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dariousb on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 am

Describe: This photo as of now is untitled; it was taken by Darious Blackshear. As you may have already noticed it’s an unaltered photo of one of his peers Earl. The creation date slips my mind but an estimated guess would be between March 14, 2011 and March 30, 2011. When I look at this photo the first thing I notice is the way Earls hands are positioned, his right hand pointing towards his temple makes me wonder what he’s thinking. The variety of colors displayed sets the mood, his shirt almost blends in with the background if you don’t look carefully.

Analyze: The colors used are a bit bland but the faded lights on Earls pants fits the whole side lighting scheme. The pointing of the temple symbolizes power to me, the brain which is the center of our thought process and our single most prized possession. The facial expression displayed is a bit tame but it fit the atmosphere that the artist was going for. Last but not least the hair, wild and untamed which lets me know Earl is not only smart but courageous.

Interpretation: It seems as if the photographer wants to get you thinking, the powerful statement Earl is making by pointing towards his head was the statement of the photo. We each subliminally fill in the blanks, in terms of what we think Earl is thinking about. To put it into simpler terms the statement varies by the viewers we each are suppose to see it differently. This closely relates to life, some things happen as we want them to, cause and affect my mom made me go to school every day, I got a perfect attendance award. I think the artist choose to create this to test the awareness of the human brain.

Judgment: The overall color scheme was bland but the statement made kept me guessing, the lights used were dull and should have been positioned better to fit the ideals of the photographer. The facial expression was pretty stereotypical, “a person thinking or learning is boring”, and bordem was clearly plastered on his forehead. The skill work of the photographer was a bit amateur but thought put into the actual meaning was that of a true photographer.

dariousb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Christina M. on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Describe: In this picture there is part of an orange pumpkin in the bottom of the right corner and a green gourd filling up the middle of the picture. You can also see the stems of the pumpkin and the gourd. Coming off the stems are many other parts of the stem along with the curly sprigs that come off of it.

Analyze: The colors in this picture are orange, light and dark green, and brown. The shape of the pumpkin and gourd are round and the stems coming off of them are straight lines which go across the picture. Then there are the curly sprigs the come off of the stems. These are what is in focus in the picture; the rest of the picture is out of focus.

Interpretation: This piece of art work gives the feeling of the fall season. The focus on the curly sprigs gives it kind of a fun mood. This Photo reminds me of the fall season and playing in the leaves. It also reminds me of Halloween.

Judgment: I think this picture is a pretty good piece of art work. There are many different elements shown in it and I think the color scheme works well. Also I like the focus of the curly sprigs and how everything else is out of focus.

Christina M.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Z.Roberts on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:11 am

Part 1:
Describe:Use little detail, say what you see in the picture or photo right away.

Analyze: Use a little more detail to elaborate on your initial descriptions.

Interpretation: Start guessing at what some of the images and/or symbols mean. Many people have different answers for this step.

Judgment: Form and state your opinion on the artwork or photo. Again, many people feel differently about this step.

Part 2:
Describe: This is a picture I took while I was up north a few weekends ago. One day, I picked up my camera and walked around until I found this tower. When I look at the picture now, first I see a tall tower against a dark and cloudy sky. I see a lot of cris-crossing lines and lines that come in, then go out of frame.

Analyze: The picture looks sort of gothic with the stormy clouds in the background and the bleak colors. This gothic look is empasized by the lighing effects used. The lines in the picture kind of create a path in, then out of frame, that your eye follows.

Interpretation: Some people might say, that because of the main symbol in the picture and the colorless background, it’s a photo speaking about how man made creations are destroying the Earth. It’s just a tower I found and took a picture of because I thought it looked cool.

Judgment: What I like most about this photo is the lines that come in at the top middle of the picture and exit the frame in the middle of the right side. What I like the least, is the bleak colors. I normally like gothic style photographs, but not this one.
Z.Roberts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  toris on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:25 am

Describe: Describe what you see in the photo.
Analyze: Think about the textures, shapes and meanings.
Interpretation: Explain the meaning of the work.
Judgment: Your opinion of the artwork

Describe: This photo is titled “Disarming” and it was taken by Tori Sanders (Me). The first things that I noticed were the red and pink pills arranged on a bed. The bright colors create a nice contrast against the beige sheets. There is also the back of a sleeping woman in the background but she is out of focus. There is lace on her tank top, and the brown stripes match the bed spread. There is a dark brown swirl pattern on the sheets, and the swirls curve at the end like leaves. The photograph is really focused so you can see the fuzz on the sheets and even the writing on the pills. The picture looks like it was taken in the day time maybe in the afternoon, because of how much natural light there is on the bed. The overall mood of this artwork is very calming and peaceful, with a hint of a dark side.

Analyze: The main focus of the photograph is the pills. They represent peace, calm and tranquility. They are also the reason why the woman in the background is unconscious. The medication can be construed as a good thing, because maybe they calmed her anxiety and let her sleep. Or the pills could have a negative interpretation and could be seen as death, and the women in the picture committed suicide. The swirls in the fabric also have two meanings. The swirls could represent chaos and confusion because there is no path to follow, or it could represent freedom because swirls seem fluid and carefree. The fuzz on the blankets could be a symbol of uncertainty or disarray (making the medicine a solution).

Interpretation: In my artwork I wanted to depict the positives and negatives of modern medicine. The chaos represented by the sheets symbolizes illness, and the medication is the solution that brings serenity. But when drugs are abused, the end result can be death. When I look at this photo I feel calm with an inkling of sadness. I created this piece to get a reaction and questions from the viewer, and I really want people to think about what is going on in the picture.

Judgment: I love everything about this picture. I like the angle that it was taken from, the bright colors, the sheets and the overall concept. I also like the message behind the picture. I like it because art should always mean something, and this picture has multiple meanings. I think that this work could benefit others, because the meaning of this photo isn’t as simple as it seems, so you have to explore, and find it (which allows you to use your brain).

toris

View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/beads-of-paradise

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:52 pm

All submissions have been graded.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content