Asignment 18: self-critique (book covers)

Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Looking back at the yearbook cover you designed, write a formal critique of it. Use the four steps as outlined below, critique your own yearbook design. Include one paragraph for your description, one for your analysis, one for the interpretation, and a final paragraph for your evaluation.

1. Description. Pretend you are describing it to someone over the phone. You may want to include:

A list of the objects in the painting (trees, people, animals, mountains, rivers, etc.).
What do you notice first when you look at it? Why?
How would you describe the basic design elements (line, colors, shapes, textures)?
What is the overall visual effect or mood of the work(s)?

2. Analysis.

What sort of effect do the colors have?
How did you use shapes within the cover?
How have lines been used? Are they an important or dominant part of the work, or do they play a different roll?
What role does texture play in the work?
How did you use the basic elements of art and principles of design to create a mood?

3. Interpretation: Explain the meaning of the work - what were you trying to say with it?
What feelings do you want people to have when looking at this artwork?
Did you use symbolism?

4. Judgment: This is your personal evaluation.

a. Why do you think that this work has intrinsic value or worth? What is the value in it? (For example, it is a beautiful work of art, conveys an important social message, affects the way that I see the world, makes insightful connections, reaffirms a religious belief, etc.)
b. Do you think that the work(s) has a benefit for others? Do you find that the work communicates an idea, feeling or principle that would have value for others?
c. What kind of an effect do you think the work could have for others?
d. Does the work lack value or worth? Why do you think this is so? Could the reason you find the work lacking come from a poor use of the elements of art? Could the subject matter be unappealing, unimaginative, or repulsive?
e. What would you change in the piece?

Reference: Read the 4 steps of an art critique here: http://www.jmam.org/Wier%20Education/New%20pdf%20files/FourStepsinArtCriticismwebready.pdf

Grading (5 points total):

1 point: description
1 point: analysis
1 point: interpretation
1 point: evaluation
1 point: format (Use proper grammar, paragraph structure, spelling, etc. You can write this in MS Word to use the spellchecker there.)

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Asignment 18: self-critique (book covers)

Post  Admin on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Things we said we liked about the sample book covers that were posted, in case you want to refer to these in your critiques:

Technical skill
Text treatment sends a message
Abstract
Eye catching (color schemes – peaceful, psychedelic, monochrome)
Symbolism
The picture illustrates the words
Book within a book
Overlapping design elements
Makes you think about how to view it
Texture
Rhythm
Unexpected – unforeseen
Felt a relationship to the cover
Photo plus graphics
Creates a mood
Contrast
Simple yet powerful
Modern – minimalist

Messages we might want to convey about our school:
Diversity
Art
Love
Color
Caring
Different – unifying
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jamestheirvine on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 am

1.It is a picture of the hallways in aaw as the backgrounds and the big aaw sign that is in the entrance hallway as the aaw sign on the front.
2.I tried to use the hallways as a back ground to give a more welcoming feeling.
3.I was trying to have a walking into the school feel with the hallways being the background and back of the yearbook design.
4.I don't think I've been at this school nearly long enough to design something that fits the school (I've only been here for 4 months compared to others being here for years) So i was not quite sure how to approach doing this assignment. In hindsight I know what I would have rather done.
jamestheirvine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Z.Roberts on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 am

1. My book cover is a plain black background and lighnight bolts going from the top right corner spreading out in the direction on the bottem left corner. The black letters “Arts Academy in the Woods” out lined in white are zig-zaged down the page. On the bottem right is the AAW logo. On the back is just a blank, white, page with the heading telling readers to design and draw their own background.

2. Analysis.

Color is usually an important aspect of mine and everyone elses artwork, but in this project, I don’t believe I used colors as a design aspect. The lines created by the lightning seem to clash with the lines created by the school name and year. I unfortunatly was not able to apply any texture to the yearbook. With the back cover I created, I sort of left that element up to the owner of the yearbook.

3. Interpretation:

I don’t normaly use symbolism in any of my work. I do have a fasination with lightning and electricity which is why I used lightning bolts as a design element.

I am not fond of this piece. It’s too plain and would like to revisit it. I would change everything and would start with an entirely new idea. I believe I would keep the back of the cover that same, however. I really like the idea of having something the student can draw on and become a piece of the work.
Z.Roberts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AllyR on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:37 am

1.Description: the background is plain black and on the front cover I have the AAW logo in the top right corner with green and blue pixels behind it. The year (2011-2012) is in blue in the bottom left corner and then there are many different adjectives that I believe describe the school in different fonts that are different shades of grey. The back cover just has “this is what we do” written in green font with blue pixels behind it, in the same style as the AAW logo on the front. The spine is grey and has the logo, school name, and school year written on it.
2.Analysis: The yearbook cover has an overall simplistic feel.
3.Interpretation: I wanted the cover to convey the feel of our school, which is why I included adjectives that I feel describe us well. I want people to feel that it accurately represents the school and have a feeling of comfort about it. I didn’t use symbolism, my approach was pretty direct.
4.Judgment: I think the cover has a nice feel to it that people can see and feel a connection to. I think people would see it and enjoy the mood it conveys. It is however lacking strong design technique and the back cover is a bit too simplistic.

AllyR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasmineH on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:39 am

1. The objects I used are several small flowing shapes overlapping a larger flowing shape, and they are all in the same color scheme, greens and blues. Also I incorporated the schools initials in the shapes in a diagonal line.
I think you notice the movement the shapes create when you first look at it.
I made the large logo letters have s specific rough texture and used the same texture around the outside of the shapes.
2. The colors are analogues and it makes the overall book have a color scheme.
I used flowing shapes to make it look artistic
There are no specific lines on the cover just the outline of the shapes that create movement.
The texture makes it looks authentic and gives it depth.
3. I was trying to show how the school is different from others schools, how it’s very artistic and people are free to express themselves.
4. I like how it looks like a painting and the textures.
I think others could have the same effect, they would notice it has an artistic aspect to it, and would stand out.
It may lack worth because it doesn’t show what our school is all about or what there is to be offered.
I would change the amount of white space on the back and add things that represent our school, like quotes and actual photographs.

jasmineH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  toris on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:52 pm

I did an alternate assignment for the yearbook cover. So for the self critique I am going to critique this photo.

1. The picture I took is of the new Lexus that was showcased at the Detroit, 2012 Auto show this past weekend. The car itself is red and very shiny, l like a candied apple. And there are hints of purple and pink in the background.

2. The colors in this photo are very bright and showy. But I really like the lines and the shape of the car, and that you can see some of the details that are on the inside, like the steering wheel and the driver's seat. The mood of my picture is pow!

3.When I took this picture I really wanted it to look like a car ad. So I tried to make sure that It was shot at a cool angle, instead of it just being a boring picture of a car. With this photo I wanted to say "buy me!" I wanted my picture to be ostentatious and full of glitz and glamor. I also wanted it to be very shiny and desirable.

4. I really like this picture and my favorite thing about it is the fact that you can see the cars reflection in the floor. Smile

toris

View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/beads-of-paradise

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn L on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Description: I think when you first look at it, what gets your attention first is the curving of the schools name. I think it gets your attention first because it’s what’s in big letters and what’s on the front. The basic design elements are very simple. The schools name and quote on the front are the main attraction.

Analysis:My yearbook cover is very simple and added touches of a quote of what I believe to explain the people at AAW.

Interpretation:With my yearbook cover I was just trying to be simple with it. AAW by itself shows and explains a lot. I just wanted the cover to tell the schools name and when you open the book it shows you what AAW offers.

Judgment:I was disappointed a little about mine. I thought it was way too simple and If been done over I would’ve done it differently of course. But I still liked my concept of it still being kept simple just not as simple as I created mine.

Dawn L

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary.M on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:10 pm

My yearbook cover has the AAW lettering covering the majority of the front cover. The letters are circled and Arts Academy in the Woods is printed on top. Inside the letters are four silhouettes of artists. One is singing, one is playing the guitar, one is painting, and one is dancing. Behind the artists and AAW letters is a sunrise and water background. The back cover shows a continuation of the sunrise/water background with a realistic hand holding a paintbrush, painting the sunrise and water.

The colors in the background complement each other and make the black silhouettes and lettering stand out. The background appears to be a watercolor painting which fits the theme of being artistic. The colors blend together well and create a peaceful feeling that a sunset reflecting on water gives. The hand on the back cover is realistic and gives the feeling of art being created. There is a shadow behind the hand and paint brush to give it a real effect.

The purpose of the silhouettes on the front cover is to show four major art forms taught at Arts Academy. The depiction of male and female artists is to show diversity – the female is playing the guitar and the male is dancing. The real hand in the back painting the sunset reflecting on the water is showing art being created and yet the art is still in progress. This is to show that we real students and we are in the progress of learning art in school.

I like the way the covers look and I like the message that they convey. I think that the covers show an artistic quality that communicates the feeling of the school. I could have tried to incorporate that we are learning academically as well as learning the arts. I also could have changed the hand in Photoshop to look less real and possibly drawn so that it would not be so different from the rest of the cover.
Zachary.M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maryc on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 am

1. Description: My book cover is white with a melting color effect. My year boook shows that the students of AAW are a mixture of colors and have different loves for each type of art. You first notice all the colors, its very psychdellic and fun. The mood s very calming and a feel of togetherness, and art. The basic elements are the mixtures of colors and the bold fun text.

2. Analysis.

What sort of effect do the colors have? The colors i have for my year book cover are very bold, much of a rainbow all flowing together.
the shapes i used in my year book cover where music notes, all the other shapes are odd annd blended threw out the page.
Lines have only been used in the year book cover to straighten out text.
Texture plays a big role in the yeear book cover because you want the year book to look like a fun year book
i use the basic elements of art in this year book to show that AAW is an art school for of fun loving togetherness and all that. I feel like my year book cover bests discribes us a whole which is what a year book should do.

3. Interpretation: The meaning of the work is together, artistic.

a. Why do you think that this work has intrinsic value or worth?
This work has intrinsic value in the cover because it has colors and life in the cover just like AAW/

b. Do you think that the work(s) has a benefit for others? Do you find that the work communicates an idea, feeling or principle that would have value for others?
I feel my work sheds some light on dull pictures/ covers.

c. What kind of an effect do you think the work could have for others?
The effect i could have on others by this cover is showing that year books are about the school and what the school is about and the people in it, not just a "cool cover"

d. Does the work lack value or worth? Why do you think this is so? Could the reason you find the work lacking come from a poor use of the elements of art? Could the subject matter be unappealing, unimaginative, or repulsive?
The cover doesnt really lack value or worth. The only reason it would be lacking anything is because i rushed on the peice.

e. What would you change in the piece?

In my peice i would change the white background and make it more eye catching so people would like it.

maryc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Alternate Assignment

Post  JessicaH on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:16 pm

I edited videos from one of the December assemblies.

JessicaH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NateF on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:44 am

1. My book cover is a dark figure not like evil but a shadow and it is holding a flag. The flag has AAW on it and the figure is looking up at it. I put the school logo on the front to simplify but bring out the significance. The colors go together very well and they are eye catching together. I would describe the texture as clouds that shape around each other nicely. It is simple but has so much behind it just to imagine.
2. The colors are to draw you into a world that you make for yourself. There isn’t much happening with the lines. The shapes are to give the book a little something extra. A big role for the texture is to bring the viewer into a new world and keep them wanting to stay there. I wanted the colors to go well together and its something you don’t see everyday.
3. I wanted the cloud texture to make it seem like we are looking to the skies about our dreams. We are all stars at this school and I want it to be as once you open the book or look past the clouds all you see are stars students and staff.
4. I believe my yearbook cover is special because it really has a message behind it. The outcome of the cover wasn’t as good as I had expected but if I could change one thing it would be to fill the back with quotes that keep people happy and encouraging them to follow their dreams.

NateF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tarat on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 am

1. Description.
My yearbook cover is on one side a gradient with blue orange and purple. the other just has some colored circles and a few music notes. blue letters on the front of the cover say arts academy in the woods

2. Analysis.
Lots of color, but still very simple in its own way

3. Interpretation.
I wanted the cover to look simple and artistic in the front and have its own vibe on the back with the gradient and the numbers. that's why i put the numbers in all different fonts, to nonchalantly show that everyone in the school is different

4. Judgment.

i like how it's simple but it's also detailed in its own way, and artistic. i think i could have done a whole lot more with it, but i'm overall happy with the outcome, although i could have probably made the front cover more interesting.

tarat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayae on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 am

1. My yearbook cover has a light purple background and six buildings, three on the front, and three on the back. Each building represents an Art major for the school, Art, Instrumental, Choir, Theater, Dance and Graphics. As the foundation of the buildings is a half circle, and on the insides is tree branches with a blue background, so the blue compliments the purple. One would describe it as cartoony, because it is all photoshop made. On the cover on top of the buildings is the name of the school, Arts Academy in the woods. Under that in the trees is the black and white school logo. And that's basically my yearbook cover.

2. Analysis.

What sort of effect do the colors have?
Well, all the colors in the cover go together, there are some analogous colors, and those both have complimentary colors. Such as the yellow banners are complimentary with the purple background, and the blue bottom is analogous with the purple.

How did you use shapes within the cover?
Shapes play a big part in my cover, they are used as banners for the buildings, sometimes representing the art that the building is. I also used them as windows, and doorknobs, but you can't really tell.

How have lines been used? Are they an important or dominant part of the work, or do they play a different roll?
Without lines my cover wouldn't be anything, I'd think. Lines play a very dominant role in my cover. They created the buildings and the bricks, doors, and windows.

What role does texture play in the work?
Texture isn't a very big role, it's more on the back burner of my design, but it IS there, with the trees, and I guess sort of the bricks.

How did you use the basic elements of art and principles of design to create a mood?
Well I made it somewhat colorful to create a happy mood, and the buildings are kind of cartoon style so it also gives you a happier mood, and I think it's interesting to look at.

3. Interpretation: Explain the meaning of the work - what were you trying to say with it?
What feelings do you want people to have when looking at this artwork?
Did you use symbolism?
I wanted people to look at this and feel like the school was in it in a way, that they'd feel like it sums up what the school is about, because I felt a good yearbook cover would portray that. I want people to feel comfortable with my piece and also happy. Not a whole lot of symbolism, everything is pretty straight forward.

I believe my piece has value because the objective was to create a yearbook cover, and I feel like I really incorporated the school in it, in a creative and detailed manner. I think that the cover would have value to every student in the school because they'd belong to one of the six major buildings at least, so they could relate to the piece. It could have an effect of togetherness, make them feel like the school is really a place for everyone and no art has a lesser play than another. I don't think my piece is really lacking to much, I mean there is a substantial amount of detail work in play, and it fits in many categories of good art. If I could change anything about my piece, I would probably play around with the background color some more, so it isn't a flat purple color, but at this point I wouldn't know what to incorporate in with it because I wouldn't want to ruin the feel of it by adding different photoshop skills.
Jayae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:19 pm

This assignment has been graded.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down