Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21 Empty Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:49 am

1. Describe one point made in the movie.
2. Include an example that they used to support their point.
3. Explain why you agree or disagree with the point they were making.

Grading: 3 points total

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21 Empty Re: Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21

Post  Stuart.C on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm

I found the gender and racial stereotypes in Disney movies to be quite appalling. As a kid, I never thought twice that it was the mans job to save the helpless woman, and when I would play with my siblings, it was always mine or my brothers job to "save" our sister. This sort of “gender role” stereotyping extends far beyond Disney movies, into almost every form of media around. It also is expressed that a woman is always “looking” for something, or feels unfulfilled, until she meets the man of her dreams. Then, she can truly be happy and enjoy her life. This idea is very disturbing to me, because it pushes that thought to kids. That you need to get someone to make you happy, and you won’t be truly happy until you do.

The racial stereotypes in Disney range from subtle to blatant across almost all of their films, the older ones in particular. Disney very rarely exhibits a character of ethnicity without delving into generalizations and stereotypes. And in an instance when there was a chance to portray people of color in, say, Tarzan, they chose to omit them entirely instead of addressing it. How much more offensive could they get? Instead of using an opportunity to have characters of color in an interesting way, Disney chooses to act almost like they didn’t exist. That, to me, is one of the worst insults imaginable.

Stuart.C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21 Empty Re: Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21

Post  valerieZ on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:04 pm

In the Mickey Mouse Monopoly movie, they point out that commercializing the Disney movies is a key point to a child's imagination and what toys they play with. That children use these toys to recreate the movie themselves. They make exact replica's of the characters in these movies for children to re-enact scenes from such a movie. But does this really effect how children play? I disagree, due to the fact that children can chose what to do with what toys they have, whether that be re-making the movie in harmless play, or creating a whole new game and story by themselves. While the toys are still replica's of characters in a movie, they're still just toys, and children are the real wielders of what to do with them, not some big company corporation.

It has an imprint on a child's imagination, sure, but they child chooses how to process the toy and what to do with it. They have an idea of whom the toy is made from, the character, and the details of importance. Does that mean it HAS to be that character? No. It could be someone else or something else entirely, and all of that, is left up to the child. Children create their own games, make their own stories in their heads, and play how they know how and want to. THEY create it, the world may have impact on it, but the children themselves decide how they play, who they play with, and what toys. My being a child who made up their own world while playing impacted my view on this. I saw Disney movies are a little older age then most, but i still played with some of the Disney toys. Did that impact my imagination? Of course, but it didn't make me recreate the movies, it just meant i knew who the characters were, and the story. I played in my own world, and never created replica's of a Disney movie.
valerieZ
valerieZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonya_Kruise on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:05 pm

In the movie Mickey Mouse monopoly, there was a point that stuck out to me, all the different raced people were talking about a specific Disney movie, saying it was offensive. One that stuck out to me most was the Chihuahua, the elder Latino lady said she found that offensive because the Chihuahua’s voice was obviously a Mexicans voice, and he wanted to do hood rat stuff, such as stealing cars, yada yada. She said she found that offensive because not all Mexicans want to steal cars and do bad things.

I personally think that’s just uncalled for, I have saw numerous films, they have the rebellious, “bad” type in every form, race, and religion. I don’t think that just because you’re a Latino, means that you’re bad. If it was a dog in that specific film that was Caucasian, or an Asian, or African American voice, someone would be offended.

-There is never going to be complete satisfactory from everyone. Someone is always going to be offended, no matter how you word it, or what you say.

Last edited by Tonya_Kruise on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tonya_Kruise
Tonya_Kruise

View user profile http://t0nyeezy.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  alexfutris on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:06 pm

I thought this film really showed the true intentions of Disney and the way they manipulate children at such a young age.
The women who spoke made points about how it shows girls in an abusive relationship (Beauty In The Beast) that if you're just nicer, the "beast" (The abuser) will be happier. As if they are the reason that the beast is abusive in the first place. It subliminally sends out the message to young girls that if that were to happen, then to just try to be nicer even if it would be better for them to get out of the relationship.
Disney likes to freak with the minds of children, and subtly tell them the wrong things.
As far as false information goes, such as the stereotypes that are portrayed by different animals (ex: african americans are monkeys, chihuahua's are hispanic, etc), but all the white people are humans. Humans are held at a much higher level than animals. For example, most people would rather rescue one human, rather than 5 animals. That embeds such a strong impression of pure racial discrimination at such a young age, and children don't realize it, and they grow up discriminating the same way, but they don't think anything of it because they don't remember telling themselves to do that. It was just the way they absorbed the information from Disney movies.
I completely disagree with everything that Disney does, honestly. They know what they're doing, they are completely aware of when they include such graphic situations, and imply prejudice and false history, but if it sells then that's all they're concerned about.
alexfutris
alexfutris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tarat on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:09 pm

A point made in the movie was that Disney movies convey that the girl should always be rescued from danger. It is never the opposite. It is honestly really offensive because it gives off the idea that women are weak and always need to be helped or saved and can't do anything on their own.
An example used to support the point is in Tarzan when Jane is falling and he has to come and save the day. Even in Mulan, small roles like the male dragon Mushu and male horse are always helping Mulan do something because simply, as a girl, she cannot do it by herself.
I definitely agree. It's appalling that Disney movies make girl roles look unable to succeed without a male role's help. Where is the movie where the woman is saving the man? It doesn't exist.

tarat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21 Empty Reaction to Mickey Mouse Monopoly

Post  AshleyMS on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:12 pm

My opinion is that the Mickey Mouse Monopoly really broke down disneys' picture movies and put them into a sense that these childrens movies are steriotyping and being racial with their characters and lessons of the movies. I understand some of these movies have harsh realaties but not every child who watches a disney movie is going to think of these awful ideas that adualts have come up with. And not every disney movie is what they are playing it out to be. Most kids just think the movies are fun and imaginative. Thats what childhood is about.
As far as the advertisement of disney products, its just the same as regular advertisments such as food or home products. Toys are toys to a child. It's what makes them happy when they're young because they have no sense of the future and no child is going to know so young about the cruel reality of society. They should have fun while they're young and enjoy the little things like disney movies and disney products.
AshleyMS
AshleyMS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaliahA on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:14 pm

When watching Mickey Mouse Monopoly, the part that stood out to me was when they spoke on how the image of women have changed. The one parent spoke on how the characters have the big breast, tiny waist, the long eyelashes and more and they even have the animals that are very seductive and thats how the kids think ladys are suppose to act. I agree with this point that this is not at all how us women act and the kids think in order to get what you want you have to give off this flirty side of you. They gave examples of shows and movies like the little mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. Then you even have things like candles and brooms (from Beauty and the Beast) being seductive and giving off this sensation that they dont want this but they really do. From there they go on to say that this is seen as if women use this side of them and use there bodies to get attention and get what they want.
KaliahA
KaliahA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LillyW on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Growing up I never really watched Disney movies. In fact, I never watched a Disney movie until I was around the age of ten. I was a book nerd and Disney books weren’t on my list. I don’t have a reason why. I just wasn’t interested, I guess.

About a month ago, I actually watched The Little Mermaid for the simple fact that I had never watched it before. I was majorly disappointed. In Mickey Mouse Monopoly they even brought up the very part that disgusted me. It was the fact that Ariel disobeyed her father to go meet with some boy. Then when I thought about it more I realized that the whole plot of most Disney movies is for the girl to fall in love with a boy.

I’m not saying that romance is bad but the way they portray it is. They make it seem as if it should be a girl’s dream to fall in love and marry the man of her dreams. Not, for instance, to become a doctor or singer. It shows little kids that being a prince or princess is what you should be. So now, when people ask little kids what they want to be when they grow up they say, “I want to be a prince/princess.”

LillyW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary.M on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:27 pm

One point made by the movie, The Mickey Mouse Monopoly, was that Disney promoted ethnic stereotypes in many of their movies. These ethnic characters were usually not the heroes or main characters. They had smaller parts in the movies and they behaved in what society would consider being a stereotype of specific ethnic groups. One example is in Aladdin’s introduction theme music, the words refer to the Arabian people as barbarians. The hyenas in the movie, The Lion King, behaved like the stereotypical version of African Americans. Also, in Lady in the Tramp, the Siamese cats behaved like the stereotype of Asians. I had never really thought about any of this before seeing this movie. After watching it, I agree with the idea that Disney promoted stereotypes of ethnic groups and races in their movies. I am going to start watching for this in other movies as well.
Zachary.M
Zachary.M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  loganw on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:33 am

I disagreed with almost everything the Mickey Mouse Monopoly had too say. I would always play a game with my cousin, in which I would have too save her. I picked this up not from any Disney movies but instead the gender based society we live in. I grew up in a house where my dad worked and my mom stayed home to take care of me, my dad was always bigger and stronger then my mom. When the movie stated that a women’s daughter or son was playing save the princess I doubt the girl picked it up from Cinderella. I feel the people in this movie went through every movie with a comb and got what they thought was raciest, sexist or inappropriate and used it too attack Walt Disney.
loganw
loganw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  samkoki-jones on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 am

Mickey Mouse Monopoly mentioned that Disney was encouraging girls to use their body to manipulate people and get what they want. There was a clip of Aladdin where Jasmine was seducing Jafar to distract him. I disagree with this point. For one thing, the children watching this movie know that Jasmine doesn't WANT to be doing what she's doing. Jafar is supposed to be seen as ugly and evil and immoral. Jafar is the "bad guy". No kid would look at the screen and think, "Hey, that's a good idea!" They would probably be thinking of how awful it must have been to do that, especially since younger viewers generally dislike Jafar.

PS: I think even with all the good points this documentary made, I also believe we should not pick on just one cat out of a bunch for all the ruined furniture and urine stains. There are multiple corporations like Disney that also contribute to such a patriarchal society. It is also OUR fault, as a society, for allowing them to change the way we think and act. Pointing fingers is no way to change anything. The only way to change what society thinks is to first change ourselves because, believe it or not, we ARE society. We are the only ones can change our own minds.
samkoki-jones
samkoki-jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rouba.S on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:56 am

The one issue that really stuck out to me in this movie was the fact that all the adults in this were saying that Disney needed to take responsibility and educate the kids. Now I highly disagree with this since Disney’s main aspect is to provide entertainment and give kids a sense of magic and imagination. Its not there job to educate children it’s the parents and schools job to educate them. That and I don’t feel Disney is talented enough to educate/talk to kids about these issues in life. Just look what they did with Pocahontas and Hercules. Another reason I think Disney shouldn’t educate our kids is because they make ‘family’ movies. I don’t think I’d enjoy watching Disney with my little brother if they had more educational elements in there movie.
Rouba.S
Rouba.S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21 Empty Senior project

Post  jasmineH on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 am

Alternate assignment: senior prjoect uploading photos and survey questions

jasmineH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  micaelaN on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:37 am

The thing that stuck out most to me was how almost all the women in Disney films are princesses. Most of them are blonde with blue eyes and have wavy hair, just really pretty. It stuck out to me because they stereotyped women. In Cinderella for example she is a princess and has blonde hair and blue eyes
I agree with the people from Mickey Mouse Monopoly because the Disney movies might have sent a message to little kids saying only princesses have blue eyes and blonde hair. Little kids may try to get there parent to let them die there hair to look like the princesses. I think that little kids should understand that there pretty and can be a princess no matter what they look like

micaelaN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ianb on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 am

I saw the racial stereotypes and sort of hidden messages quite offensive and somewhat untrue in some of these Disney movies. Not all of them have these but there is still a fair amount. One thing is that lots of the “bad guys” are voiced by stereotypical African American voice actors. When one of the moms talked about how her child had heard some young African American children playing and he said “it’s the hyenas!” I was very shocked how much of an affect it held. The mother of the child even said that her son or daughter started to think as them as the “bad guys”. Another stereotypical shot in a Disney movie was in Dumbo. The “Jim crow birds” were just too much to ignore. Not only do they act like the stereotype of an African American person but they were named after racist laws in the south!

I believe that Disney should be more careful with what hey put in there movies. Millions of children have seen these movies and taken them into mind. Children can be easily persuaded to think what is on the screen is true. Disney has been improving overtime but you can still find a bit here and there. Hopefully they can finally see what ideas they can put in children’s minds.

ianb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brandonw on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Brandon Wright
Disney Video Essay
3/19/12

Mickey Mouse Monopoly was an impressive film. It covered many opinions and pointed out things not even I have known. Thus, I have found an interesting point. What about the children? After seeing this I realize that every child enjoying Disney is not interpreting important facts on how to do things in life. With the violence of guns, fighting, and many other things, what is there left to shove into kid’s minds- excluding racial and gender stereotypes?

Personally, I believe that Disney is a great way for children growing up to understand the joys of imagination. I’ve watched limited Disney movies in the past, so I might not be the best at describing its social impact on the minds of young children. But watching this movie and seeing the children’s actions towards whets supposed to be a fun classic adventure leaves me appalled and disturbed at Disney’s way of interpreting classic tales and American history. My opinion remains, and hopefully Disney will find a way to bring us great entertainment and true satisfaction.

brandonw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn L on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:00 pm

I have always been a fan of Disney movies. One of my favorites is, “The Little Mermaid.” I liked the stories that were being told in the Disney movies. But looking back and watching them you start to see things that growing up you either couldn’t comprehend or just missed.

One of the things I see when I look back and watch the movies and that still continues, is the racial stereotypes. A Mexican, Asian, black or of any other ethnicity besides white all seem be portrayed as low class, needy, and poor. Luckily I didn’t see it that way but others might of saw it that way.

A second thing I picked up on was how Disney portrays the females in its movies and stories. Disney makes it as in order for a woman to feel complete or her purpose was to fall in love and a man is the answer to all her unfulfillment.

I really feel that Disney should think again about maybe what kind of message their giving and sending out. Because some kids pick up on stuff like that and will change how they might of turned out. They might grow up with those stereotypes or even woman feeling that they need a man to depend on or to fulfill them.

Dawn L

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roberth on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:41 am

Animals are raciest

Something that socted and appalled me was what they said on Disney’s animals are sign of raciest. They said that king liole
and his monkeys froe the way they talk the way they act and
song they sing is to tell kids that the black person is not human
and never well be. I said that they are woneg the biggest pofa
of it when liole talks about being human he is talking to a black human. They said that it is woneg and a ceim on how if in a movie that dogs talk the chawaw always a Mexican that Mexicans sowd be something more like their callter like a crowor a monkey but know they are this taco bell dog! Now what I have to said to this is that it not a insult but sowd be seen as a conpment that it is so well loved that the chawaw always as the Mexican actseit. Now the highheans form ling king and the goalies form Tarzan they call them black people insults by colors they said that the highheans soke was black racism thow to of them played by white people. Now about the goalies the oredanle Tarzan the man ape of 1933 black people ware sone as bad monseter and got no part the Disney version they said that this weras because now it is Africa but that is no black people so that now the goalies are the black people. What I have to said this they in the jungle yes I know some people live in the jungle but not anof to se in film and have rolls that were werf having. So this what I on whow they are woneg on Disney being raciest.

roberth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21 Empty Alternate Assignment

Post  melissa. on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:33 am

Assignment 9: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Wed Mar 21 Is-thi10
melissa.
melissa.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  angelinah on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:45 am

I felt that gender roles really stuck out to me. When i was a child i knew that there was gender roles but never really paid much attention to them because i had a friend who had two mothers. I always thought that there were gender roles when i was young and my grandma reinforced that because she grew up in a time where they felt they were gender roles. Although as a child you don't necessarily think about it, but i still felt confused on what's what.
angelinah
angelinah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dariousb on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Disney’s true intentions were revealed, most of my generation were brought up watching Disney movies so being introduced to this came as a shock. Now that I look back everything implied in the Mickey House Monopoly makes sense. In just about every Disney movie there’s a danzle in distress, antagonizer, and heroic figure, and if you really think about it the outcome is always the same, prince charming saves the day and everyone lives happily ever after. This gives children the idea of everything is going to be alright, but in the real world everything isn’t. There isn’t always going to be someone to solve your problems. I totally agree with the argument everyone has against Disney, their a manipulative, money grubbing, stereotypical corporation and need to be converted into something more suitable for adolescent mind.

dariousb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adamh on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:27 am

growing up i never thought that disney of being sterotypicle and racist it as really changed my out look on disney and thier movies i thought the company was a busines that was trying to make family and kid home movies but now i realize that it just another group of people trying to make money any way they can

some examples of their money making sterotypeing in all of thier films like one with the chuhauauha he played by a mexican doind stuff like stealing cars and in the lion king the hyena sound like a black person and a little kid in the a store he heard black people and was scared of them and also the chinse cats in lady and the trap they had the featurs of a chines person and also in almost all disney movies the man has to help a girl becouse she is a girl

adamh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  clarek on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:39 am

In Mickey Mouse Monopoly, there were a few things that really stood out to me. One was that Disney should educate kids with their movies. They had said that kids used fake facts from the movie when they were learning in class. Well when I was little and I watched Pocahontas I never thought that that had actually happened. But when I learned about it in school and I found out that it had; I didn’t mix the movie and what we were learning in class together. Using actual things that have happened in movies doesn’t affect what we learn about the actual event. Besides, if they put all of the actual facts into the movie, it wouldn’t be a children's movie. It would be a documentary. And I don’t know a single kid who would watch a documentary. Disney’s job is to entertain not to educate.

clarek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iris g b mcnitt on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:10 pm

mickey mouse monopoly
social injustice exists everywhere and manifests itself many ways in all media. the movie mickey mouse monopoly definitely brought several of these very important points that are related to social stereotyping in the categories of gender, race, and human relationships into the light.

having previous knowledge on this subject i would say the point that was the most influential and most shocking to me was how influenced children can be by just observing something such as a disney movie. this got me curious about the possible long term damage that these movies could do. the fact that in the video little girls were speaking on giving advice to belle from the movie beauty & the beast and basically were telling the character to overlook the abuse she was taking makes me wonder if their future relationships will be affected by the underlying message (whether intentional of unintentional, damage still could be done) in this movie. i agree with mickey mouse monopoly that children should never take away that kind of harmful, sexist, classist, or racist message from something that is intended and created to be in entertainment.
iris g b mcnitt
iris g b mcnitt

View user profile http://mulletmayhem.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next