Assignment 3: Models of Art Criticism due Tuesday Sep 11.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 3: Models of Art Criticism due Tuesday Sep 11.

Post  Admin on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

Using the artist you identified in assignment 2, select one of their works, and write an art critique about it using either the Analytical Model of Art Criticism, or the Feminist Model of Art Criticism. No matter which model you use, include at least 4 paragraphs. Have another person in the class proofread your work before you post it here. I recommend writing it in word, then copying and pasting it here so you can save it if you aren't done in one class period.

The Analytical Model includes these elements (in this order):

1. Description = what do you see in the image?
2. Analysis = determining what the features suggest and deciding why the artist used such features to convey specific ideas.
3. Interpretation = establishing the broader context for this type of art.
4. Judgment: Judging a piece of work means giving it rank in relation to other works and of course considering a very important aspect of the visual arts; its originality.

More detailed information can be found here: http://www.uwgb.edu/malloyk/art_criticism_and_formal_analysi.htm

The Feminist Model emphasizes these issues: Social analysis, political activism, and self-knowledge. A critique of an artwork in this model may focus on one or all of these issues.

Grading 4 points possible:
3 points: Content
1 point: Grammar and spelling

Last edited by Admin on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 3: Models of Art Criticism due Tuesday Sep 11.

Post  angelinah on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:03 pm

The work I chose portrays a boy wearing a box over his head that he turned into like a robot head and the child is drawing another robot. What I see is he is a child drawing another robot to avoid loneliness. Another thing I see is him drawing a parent figure to lead him. I see the bigger robot as a father figure because they’re both staring at each other and the large robot had his arm around the child or that’s the way it seems to be drawn. This makes me feel as if the child needs guidance and that we as a people should make sure we are there for our children. We know every child needs guidance and sometimes we can’t accept them for who they are and we need to be more accepting of them no matter what. In comparison to the Banksy’s other pieces, I find this one almost easier to understand and connect with. I quite enjoy this piece because I can connect with it to an extent on a personal level. His other artwork may be harder to understand but others are even easier to understand then this one. I find this piece to be relatable to me and probably many other people.

angelinah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hollyGalvan on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:04 pm

The Russian all-girl punk band Pussy Riot has gained notoriety in the past few weeks. After performing a few protest songs against Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, the trio were arrested and charged with hooliganism due to religious hatred, and sentenced to two years in prison each. Controversy has sprung up due to the unfair charges and disproportionately large jail sentence.

Peruvian artist and women’s rights activist María María Acha-Kutscher drew up a colorful, statement-making poster of the band, with a long explanation of who they are and what is happening to them, and to Russia’s government. The picture is an installment in Acha-Kutscher’s ‘Women Working for Women’ project, depicting important figures in feminist history. It is the only one of the three artworks in the series that is written in English, as well as the most striking.

The Pussy Riot poster has the brightest colors in the series, and stands out the most of the three. It depicts the three band members in brightly colored masks, standing in front of a blue background and a wall of text explaining the situation at hand. Only flat colors are used, and this actually adds to the retro-punk feeling the poster has. The three figures stand out, the masks stand out, and it all feels very lare-70’s early-80’s loud, catchy Punk scene, and I quite like it. It has a feeling of idealistic anarchy, raw but still fun, short, catchy, pulling every punch. The poster very much captures the idea of Pussy Riot, and of classic punk in general.

The biggest problem is that the text block in the background is hard to read. It’s simple black text on a blue background, and the campy comic sans detracts from the artwork itself. I don’t really like comic sans anyway, but it doesn’t fit quite right. Not the worst choice, but certainly not the best. The text just makes the poster kind of busy, and while not too bad, it’s a bit distracting.

The bottom left corner of the poster is a speech bubble declaring in hot pink bubble letters to FREE PUSSY RIOT. I half expected to find concert dates and tour cities listed; overall, the art feels more like a promotional poster than a protest. But it is bright and colorful, and it does have a certain anarchistic charm.

hollyGalvan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  megant on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:12 pm

In the picture i chose, i see three women who look fairly angry and upset yelling at someone through a loud speaker.
The Artist chose these three women because she was interpreting the riots that were going on in Spain that women were fighting in and she's a feminist so she believes that anything the men can do, like fight and riot, women can do too.
I feel like these women are fighting for something they really believe in, perhaps certain rights or freedoms.
This piece is definitely creative, and unique. I like it, i think it could have been better. The colors and everything was kind of just plain to me. But it was original.

megant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JenniferB on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:59 pm

In this image by Farzana Wahidy, a young couple dressed in their wedding attire. The boy is looking off into the distance and has a bored expression on his face. The girl, looks tired as well; however, she is looking straight into the camera and looks as if she wants to say something. The room they are in is very plain, pale green and small. The sheets on the bed are pink, and look as if they would belong to a little girl. The room is small, painted different shades of green and has what appear to be sheets on the walls.
Judging by the couples clothing they were very recently married. The expression on the boys face says that he really doesn’t care, isn’t interested, and doesn’t necessarily want to be married, or in fact doesn’t really care at all about it. The young woman in this photo is looking straight into the camera with a meaningful glare, almost like she wants to say something, but cant. I think the artist included this to portray that this young girl was forced into marriage, and couldn’t do anything about it, and had no choice in the matter. The bedding on the bed is bright pink, probably to further highlight the young age of the recently married teens. It’s almost ironic that this girl still sleeps at home on a small girly bed, under pink sheets, and now she’s married, sitting on the same bed with her husband. The room itself is very small, haphazardly painted; with no decorations expect sheets on the walls. I believe this is used to highlight the fact that this couple lives in a poor, third world country, and probably not in the best conditions, and it seems like they would have so much more to worry about than getting married when they probably scarcely have money or a nice place to live.
This image makes clear the traditions that other countries have. Even though money may be tight and there is war going on, or food is scarce, or whatever the circumstance they still keep hold to their traditions. And even though these young teens have their whole life ahead of them, to make whatever they want of it. They are forced into marriage that they might not necessarily want, and trapped into the same cycle their parents were trapped into. Generations of people all following traditions and never advancing.
At first glance this photograph is just a tired couple, but once given a deeper look it can have a lot of meaning. I feel that this is a very deep piece; it has good composition and an interesting subject. Compared to others, I think it’s not exactly that original, its an issue we all know is there and have heard about before and have seen pictures like it a billion times in magazines like National Geographic.

Last edited by JenniferB on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

JenniferB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ianb on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Gustav Metzger was and auto destructive artist that impacted many other artists, including musicians. I choose a piece done with nylon and acid to protest atom bombs and there harm. In this piece a big cloth of nylon in hung up and a darker piece of material put behind it. Then some type of acidic fluid is then sprayed on it to make many different shapes in the fabric. He did this publicly so the original piece is not with us today.

The artist uses many materials to show his ideas. The nylon is delicate kind of like a city compared to an atomic bomb or in this case nylon to acid. The acid most definitely brings the idea of an atomic bomb.

In the piece there are many shapes made by acid. I believe that this has a special meaning. This was meant to protest the war with atom bombs for sure, but I think there’s a little bit more to it. I think the bigger shapes represent the big buildings and houses burning down and the smaller little holes made by the acid represent the adults and children dying. This is just a wild guess but it makes sense in my mind.

I think this piece of art is very original and smart. The idea of destroying things is kind of genius to protest the war. Even though this is a good idea it’s not really anything I would just like to look at, it’s kind of boring. Even if it was done in public as a presentation (and it was) I still wouldn’t stick around mainly because I don’t like thinking about that stuff. Even though its not my kind of art it is good for what it is.

ianb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaliahA on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:38 pm

This piece of work that I chose portrays a man who seems to me like he’s a Mexican. He has an undocumented sticker on his shirt so it seems to me that he is not a legal citizen of the U.S.A. To add, the title above his head states “I Am UndocuQueer” so to my understanding he is an illegal gay immigrant. Looking back at the man himself he is smiling so I would think that he is a normal happy person, but being an immigrant he gets treated differently. Just looking at this picture it has many meanings you can make from it.

Looking at this piece of art, Julio Salgado really made certain things pop. Making the top title makes your eyes go straight to the top of the piece. Adding minor aspects to the art piece like having the man smiling is something that have you to think about his story and why that certain thing is there.

Determining the broader message of the piece isn’t really hard I find it saying he is tired of being mistreated based on the fact that he is gay and an immigrant. He is speaking out for himself and others and to me is kind of a silent strike.

This piece of work is not relatable to me but if I had to put myself in the situation I would consider this piece very straight to the point. There is no story for you to figure out and nothing hard for you to process. Other than the smile on his face there wouldn’t be anything else that you would have to interpret, on scale of 1-10 I would give this piece a 5, because its good if this pertains to you but as a piece of art I think it should have told more of a story then just being straight to the point.
KaliahA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam.C on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:48 pm

This piece is called "Water boarding" which shows three prison guards shoving an inmates head into a toilet. The prisoner’s hands are tied behind his back and the guards show no mercy stomping on his head drowning him. Susan Crile used a lot of monochromatic colors, like black, white, and grey to give a very cold real feeling to it, the piece it's self shows the harsh treatment the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay go through. I feel like the piece is conveying the message of prison brutality and dose a good job at it but it feels like some sort of a sob story, due to the fact that it makes you feel bad for the prisoner even though that the said person is a criminal. In conclusion this piece is good just not a style I’m used to.
Sam.C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  valerieZ on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:52 pm

In JR’s project, Face2Face, he has a series of pictures placed around Palestinian and Israelite cites, of Israelites and Palestinians side by side, making similar faces, and projecting similar emotions. In each picture, there is a man or a woman making a face, laughing, crying, and each individual face harboring alikeness together. Black and white, simple, similar, he portrays their alikeness, points it out. Why can’t they get along? What’s so different when they’re so similar? They have nearly same languages, the same jobs, the same type of families, and yet, there’s a big gap between the two races. JR points this out in his Face2Face project.

JR suggests that if each race were to throw away the racism and anger between them, pointing out that they could really get along if they just looked at the other. They have more in common with the other then they could think of with minds full of anger. They’re alike in more ways then one; they can feel the same emotions, portray the same thoughts, they can be friends if they just got past the separation they created. JR translates that Israelites and Palestinians could be friends instead of enemies; they could look at the other, or themselves, side by side, noticing they could have a friend where they judged them as a foe.

JR’s work with Face2Face points out a social problem within the two countries and shifts it to a form of art that’s understandable. That both Israelites and Palestinians can see and think about, to notice their squabble and long time hatred for the other, but as well see the happiness they could share if they overcame their differences, their anger, the separation between them.

I believe that his work with Face2Face is very meaningful, and more eye opening then his other works. In this piece, he zones in on two particular things, and puts them side by side, not to show their differences, but their similarities. It strikes me more than his other pieces, it summons up a realization for inner peace, a need, a want for common friendship and happiness. It’s calming, and keeps the reminder to stay optimistic.

valerieZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  samkoki-jones on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:07 pm

The piece shows a beige poster splattered with red paint, probably intended to look like blood. The words "Nixon for president" are blocked out. The "x" in "Nixon" is fashioned to look like a Nazi swaztika.

The artist is obviously trying to reach out to an older community (possibly 30+ years old) by using the swaztika. About twenty or so years prior to the Nixon administration, a political party in Germany called Nazis were defeated in WWII. Their symbol or logo, if you will, was the swaztika, as presented here. The blood splatter all over the poster gives a menacing, murderous sense to the piece.

This is obviously a poster oppositional to Nixon running for office. The inclusion of the negative symbols (blood, swaztika) actually gives that away without knowing much history, really.

Personally, I feel it's leaning more towards propaganda than art. Also, it's not very original, design-wise. The blood-spatter thing is pretty cliche. It looks more like a poster for a bad horror film, to be honest.
samkoki-jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brandonw on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:10 pm

The Guerilla Girls are an art activist group who are mostly comprised of feminists. The artwork I have chosen is one depicting an image of one of them (in a gorilla mask) laying down naked, covered only by a feather duster. She is sitting on a pink bed. To her right, there is text that state: “Do woman have to be naked to get into the Met. Museum?” This statement is in bold, while below it states “Less than 5% of the artists in the modern art sections are woman, but 85% of the nudes are female.” 5%, artists, 85%, and nudes are colored pink. The background is yellow.

The art has the colors of a stop or caution sign (yellow or black) and at first glance, look very cold and strong. The art does not have the texture of a painting, and it looks more like an advertisement. It is very clear and understandable. The only colors being used were black, yellow, and pink. An old painting was used as a template in the picture.

The artwork is based off a piece created by Ingres depicting a naked woman. That template for the picture also had a part in the central message. Basically, the G.G want to emphasize the fact that woman are not present as much in the art world, and when they are, most of them are naked. This is proven by the text, and the picture of the naked girl with the gorilla mask strongly indicates the message. It seems that Ingres’s piece was the foundation for this art.

On a scale from one to ten, this artwork would receive a six. They did a nice shop in Photoshop criteria, but it needs more structure. The pink somewhat contrasts to the dark yellow and black, and it makes the artwork a little chaotic. It worked well when they added facts to the art. In conclusion, this was a great use of another art piece to send a message.

Last edited by brandonw on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

brandonw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Selena S on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:39 pm

I chose a sculpture by Willie Bester, a protest artist from South Africa. The image is that of a mixed media, war horse, but a war horse that is made of metal and armed with weapons, in a stance that implies it is ready to charge. The animal is made from a dull silver metal, giving it a lifeless or machine like feel. Guns and rockets are attached to the beast’s sides. The horse is fearsome looking, as the artist intended.

The horse suggests violence and oppression. The weapons and roughness of the horse convey the war that continues to rage in South Africa. I believe it also hints at the dangers of technology with the engine parts in the animal’s side, technology that is used to harm instead of help. It seems as if the artist wanted something that would be rather shocking to most people, something that would express the pain felt by many, in his home country. The piece is titled Trojan Horse, which also is a reference to war, the Trojan War. The beast is a machine not a living being, which I think is Bester speaking on the inhumanness of the war.

I believe this piece came from the artists strong feelings for war, something seen in many artists around the world. He wants to make people more aware of the bloodshed that goes on and hopefully help stop it.

On the quality of his art work, I believe that it is a good piece of art. I’m sure there are other pieces that have similar themes and designs but this one seems to be unique. I have seen sculptures of horses before but none quite like this. Machine like animals have been done before but I think that there aren’t many that are of war machines. The sculpture is a little rough but as I stated earlier I believe this is intended to make it seem less like a real animal and more like a monster. It seems very well put together with a lot of planning and intricate details. His art is very impressive. If I had to rank it I would give it an 8/10.

Selena S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoAnnaC on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:55 pm

In this image I see a palace or an arena and it’s filled with people who seem excited like something is about to happen. Painting this certain location and making the people be emotional like they are is showing what was going on at that period of time. Around this time millions of people were affected by the events that were taking place and he needed to portray them coming together to try and demolish the war. The painting itself connected with the actual title of it “The March for Humanity”.

David’s artwork and murals pointed towards the Spanish Civil War that took place in 1936. His artwork was explained to be revolutionary and gangsterism since it was portrayed to offend or cause awareness. His work reminds me of political statements or social awareness. David’s murals always had a story behind it that a lot of other painters saw very inspirational. “The March of Humanity” was another way of being the voice of the people but in this case being the voice of Mexico.

“The March for Humanity” is original just for the fact that not many artists can copy the same image with the same background story to back it up. This piece was recognized to be the main inspiration in his workshop in Cuernavaca that even the president (at this time) Luis Echeverria took the time to acknowledge. This mural was really known for being a power political statement more than just a regular painting. Especially since he was always using new techniques and materials it was exciting to see.

His art in general was always known to be put in the category of political. It’ll make you think about what’s going on around you and why. His paintings always make you want to know more and just know the story behind it. It relates to bias advertisement and what he thinks the world this particular person is trying to say.

JoAnnaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  clarek on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:01 pm

The piece that I chose is an aerial photograph of a giant elephant (that seems to be made of people wearing colorful shirts) with “350” painted on it’s back. It appears to be in a field, splashing through a rising sea (made of tarp). What I think the artist is trying to say is that we all need to work together on the “elephant in the room.” In this case the “elephant” would be the climate. The elephant splashing through the rising sea might mean that the problem is only slightly addressed. The fact that the “sea” only reaches a few of the people near the feet of the elephant shows that only a small percentage of the population are working on the problem and an even smaller amount even know about it. This is my personal favorite from this artist for two reasons. The first reason is that it is the most intricate. The other pieces are a bit plainer and this one just pops out more. The last reason is simply just because it is so easy to understand. The whole idea of art is to express something (in this case the climate change) to everyone who sees it. I think this piece does that quite well.

clarek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  meghan.marie96 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:46 pm

This is a very peculiar illustration by Leonardo Da Vinci. Its titled the Vitruvian man. In this drawing, the man has a strong build and uncombed hair.The strange part about this art piece, is that the man has four arms, and four legs. That aside, the drawing is very simple and basic. Some details and shading are sketched in. The mans limbs touch the circumference of a circle and the edges of a square. This drawing dates back to 1492.

The text surrounding the image describes Da Vinci's theory. The idea is based on human proportion. In this illustration Leonardo managed to blend math and art together. I think the man's limbs touching the edges of the square and the diameter of the circle perfectly, represent the center of balance. Everything seems to be in harmony together in this illustration, with strong meaning.

This illustration is amongst Leonardo Da Vinci's most famous. He is a very interesting artist and every piece of art he created had its own individual feel to it. This illustration is probably the most intriguing to me because it is so unique and mystic. His art allows me to make my very own interpretation. Sometimes in agreeance with his, other times completely my own. But either way, his art speaks to me loudly.

This piece of art is most definitely original. It would draw my attention first, compared to other drawings or illustrations. It is a more simple of a drawing, but it has a lot more behind it. Just my first glance at it, made me wonder what it was suppose to mean. Leonardo had a very original mind state with necessary influence, therefor creating very original pieces. He will go down in history as one of the most famous artists that ever was.

meghan.marie96

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  megans on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:45 pm

What I see in this image is a woman tugging on a rather expensive looking bag and a man pulling it was from her. This bag is called a Birkin, a very popular and very expensive handbag that can cause thousands of dollars to have, this particular one is 100,000 dollars.

Many women desire this bag as it is very fashionable and worn by a lot of upper class women, they want it because not a lot of people own it and they want to be one of those women who have it for themselves. In the photo the women looks like she is really fighting for it, she really wants it even though now a days many people can barely afford to pay there bills let alone own a decent fashion accessory. This shows just how desperate people can be for the things they want, even if the price alone can feed hundreds of homeless people and help provide medical care to families who need it, they still want it because its the next best thing to have and they think it will make people like them and accept them for it.

Its a pressing issue with teenagers that want things that other people don't have, and will do anything to have it, even though you can put your stuff in a regular tout bag for 10 dollars at most stores out there, its just not enough for them to just have what everyone else has. I never really see photos like this that touch on this issue so I think it is very original and deserves to be talked about.

megans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kayla.s on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:03 pm

The picture that I chose seems to be of a heart within a world with arteries leading to trees. I think that she used trees because trees are distinctly unique (as far as we know) to Earth, just like we humans are. She used the heart, because what we do and decide effects everything else, and in that way we are all the same. What I see in this picture is that we are all one. What we do effects everyone else. I really like this idea, because I also think that way. While the idea itself may be centuries old, I feel that she did a very good job conveying it through her picture, and I enjoy her artwork as it is different from most of the activist artists I have seen.

kayla.s

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeydonN on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:12 pm

In this picture I see a man fighting a wild fire. I Think he made it because he wants to help stop wild fires. Because wild fires are usually caused by people, they forget to put out campfires and things like that. The artist took this picture because he wants to be a part of helping stop climate changes, that we can control. Personally I really like this picture, I think its motivating. It is really nice quality, good contrast. The color of the fire really pops out and I like how the rest is black.
jeydonN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VictoriaW on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 pm

In this image by an artist named "Banksy" , I see a tall dark skin man, attempting to jump over a broken down fence to land on the mattress on the other side of the fence. This dark skin man seems to be an athlete in the Olympics. I also see the obvious, which is a very tall, but old building. This scene looks like it is in the alley in between apartments or in a neighborhood junkyard. The features in this photo suggest that our athletes work really hard on what they love to do. This artist used these specific ideas because one he wanted to catch the audiences eye. Two he was focused on a main idea of sport or even strengths and weaknesses. I think the artist's main goal was to show that even if you are in a tough situation there is always an easier way out. He also wanted to let the audience know that practice makes perfect. This piece is one of my favorite ones and I feel that yes, it could have used a little more color and a little more detail. Overall it is amazing piece and he is an amazing artist. This piece is definitely an original.

Last edited by VictoriaW on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
VictoriaW

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/babyface.willis?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adamh on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 pm

this is a picture by Pablo Marcano García.in the picture is 5 men middle age playing cards
one man is wearing brown shirt other guy is wearing green shirt the next wearing a
cream color polo then the guy next to him wearing a red shirt with a white hat with black stripe
and final guy is wearing blue shirt with maybe army green hat and my guess is that their puerto rican
cause Pablo Marcano García message in his art is conection between puerto rican and nautre
and the picture is made out of staded glass and in the back sunlight come ing in

what i think of this picture is good it.i like it cause you can tell what going on even it is bloxy
and you can tell the sun coming in with the sun light causing there to be shadow and you can see that with the dark spot so over all i like this picture and it look good.

adamh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Edit

Post  clarek on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:06 pm

This piece called "Don't ignore the elephant in the room: Climate Change" by Daniel Dancer is an aerial photograph of a giant elephant (that seems to be made of people wearing colorful shirts) with “350” painted on it’s back. It appears to be in a field, splashing through a rising sea (made of tarp). What I think the artist is trying to say is that we all need to work together on the “elephant in the room.” In this case the “elephant” would be the climate. The elephant splashing through the rising sea might mean that the problem is only slightly addressed. The fact that the “sea” only reaches a few of the people near the feet of the elephant shows that only a small percentage of the population are working on the problem and an even smaller amount even know about it. This is my personal favorite from this artist for two reasons. The first reason is that it is the most intricate. The other pieces are a bit plainer and this one just pops out more. The last reason is simply just because it is so easy to understand. The whole idea of art is to express something to everyone who sees it. I think this piece does that quite well.

clarek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adamh on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:42 pm

This is a picture by Pablo Marcano García.In the picture is 5 men middle age playing cards
one man is wearing brown shirt ,next guy is wearing green shirt the next wearing a
cream color polo.One of last wearing a red shirt with a white hat with black stripe.
Last guy is wearing blue shirt with army green hat. Their puerto rican
cause Pablo Marcano García message in his art is conection between puerto rican and nautre.
This picture is made out of staend glass and in the back sunlight coming in.

What i think of this picture is good .I like it cause you can tell what going on even it is bloxy
. The sun coming in with the sun light causing there to be shadow and you can see that with the dark spot so over all i like this picture and it look good.

adamh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sammerritt on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:27 pm

In this artwork by Sue Coe I see a struggle that we as a nation are dealing with right now. I see guns, flags, signs, hands, what appears to be feather pens, & I think Sue Coe included herself as the character in this one. The themed concept of this art piece is 'What We Should Spend Our Money On' , & as you can see Coe is pro-health care. The guns are pointed toward the opposite side with Sue in the middle looking frustrated. I think this whole design is so much more deep than it shows.

As you can see in this piece she didn't really use much color. She stuck with basic dark colors or white. Traditionally, the United States American flag is red, white, & blue, but even that she deduced to black & white. I think Coe stuck with black & white because when people see black & white they usually think more seriously than they would with color. Black & white takes out the color, which helps focuses her audiences' attention because of the absence of distracting colors & color schemes. I also believe she chose dark colors to represent how sad & depressed we are because of this concept.

The image is quite depressing, obviously but I think that Coe wanted us to put a little more thought in reading this piece. You can see how the main topic is "Health Care NOT War Fare" but if you look at it, I think it also shows Coe's views on the government. In the photo you can see hands, and although to what it is that's in the hands it doesn't look nice. I think Coe was hinting that the government is well aware of what they should do & how their actions are affecting our nation's people, but don't care and want to keep charging on with what they want--- which is war. The guns that are in the image are aimed at each other imitating how they would be in a war, but then there's American flags on both sides. I thought from that "is she saying we're in a war with ourselves?" And she also drew a flustered woman in the middle with the sign 'Health Care NOT War Fare'. So from all those theories I assumed she drew the person in the middle of all the chaos to represent our war fare damaging our nation's people by neglecting them health care.

I'm not a big art junkie, but I do like this piece. I think it's spot on with it's concept, I like how it got me thinking & not most pictures can do that. Originality-wise I do feel that it's original. Overall, I think she just did a superb job on conveying her message.
sammerritt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin B on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:47 pm

In this imaging I see a little girl drawing on the wall maybe to show emotion on what she's going through. I think the monster that is over her, is representing that she is a kid, and still does kid things. I think this piece should have had a little color in it. If the monster over her was in color and her clothes I think this would've been a better photo.
Justin B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Alternative Assignment

Post  MaesynG on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:41 pm

I wrote the script

MaesynG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top