Assignment 10: Book design inspiration (due Oct 11)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 10: Book design inspiration (due Oct 11)

Post  Admin on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Find two book cover designs with especially intriguing or pleasing designs. Link the images so they are visible in your reply.
Explain what makes the design memorable. Be specific about the colors, composition, concept, etc. ("I just think it looks really cool" is not an acceptable style of answer. Put some thought into your response.)

Grading: 3 points possible.
3 points = (You got it!) Answers question, uses relevant details from your chosen design to support your answer, Stays on topic.

2 points = (Almost there) Answer is relevant but has few details to support or explain the answer.

1 points = Ideas and content are not developed or connected.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 10: Book design inspiration (due Oct 11)

Post  Sam.C on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:34 pm

The first cover i'm taking a look at is WATCHMEN by Alan Moore. I always enjoyed this cover mostly because of the differences in detail between the blood splatter and the rest of the cover. The rest of the cover is in this cool monochromatic yellow and black while the blood splatter have lots of detail and looks more hand drawn compared to the yellow and black, almost like the artist drew it right on the cover it's real cool effect and this is a real cool cover

This next cover is Coraline by Niel Gaiman. This is another cover I also thought was really interesting but it's because of the fact that you can't tell if the girl on the cover is a sculpture or a painting it's left open to the imagination! I also enjoy the way the shadowy hands (each one is a different character in the book) grasp for her like a monster in a horror film it gives a good reason to pick up this book and read it!

Last edited by Sam.C on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam.C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlsoKnownAsShelbyK. on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:37 pm

This is a fascinating cover, mainly for the thinking that went behind the design. When you first look at it, you can't really tell what the images are, if you are standing far enough away they look almost like Rorschach blots. But clearly up close they are what appear to be a man and woman engaging in various forms of coitus. What I like about is that the images are interlocked with each other, the white shapes fit perfectly with the black ones, creating the image of two people embracing.

I really admire the artist who does these book covers. When you first look at the cover, obviously it's supposed to look grim or macabre. But the style of the illustration is what continues to draw your eye back in. The image looks almost as if the artist took ink and a quill and just drips it on the page until it creates an image. The lines are so skinny and uneven, it looks like it would be a bad composition, but the way it all flows together shows how much thought went into the design. Then the small bursts of color gives it that gruesome appearance.

Last edited by AlsoKnownAsShelbyK. on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
AlsoKnownAsShelbyK.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ianb on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 pm

This book cover has an amazing choice of colors, they are perfectly simple. The black and white really contrast the dark yellow. The idea of not making an acual chair but forming the backround into one naturally is a very unique artistic technique. i aslo like how they made the "y" into the wine glass he is holding. The whole picture is just simple and natural.

This is a book cover that is remade for the classic moby dick. First of all i really like how simple this is and how it catches your eye. The white backround is also a really good choice. I also really like how this book cover portrays moby dick with the coffin representing the death of the whales and the ship as the shadow. This is super creative.

Last edited by ianb on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

ianb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hollyGalvan on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 pm

These are two covers for the book ‘Good Omens; The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch’. Both covers follow the same basic design, alternately illustrations of an angel and a demon done in the style of old woodblock prints from the late 1600’s and early 1700’s, particularly pre-revolution. Though dressed in a modern way, both images bring to mind the biblical imagery of Puritan culture and the witch trails. Given that the main subject of the book is religion, faith, and belief, this connotation is fitting. The rest of the cover is classy but simple, keeping the main focus on the illustration and brightly colored title.

‘The Art of Rise of the Guardians’ is a relatively recent book, showcasing concept artwork and character designs from the upcoming movie. As an animated film, there is a plethora of gorgeous artwork creating the detailed world and its colorful inhabitants. The image chosen as a cover is fairly simple and dynamic, being just a white background showcasing the characters. The bright, colorful characters have a powerful presence, and to have any more detailed of a backdrop would have just been distracting. The focus is really on the Guardians, as it is in the movie and as it should be.
hollyGalvan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JenniferB on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:10 pm

This cover of The Great Gatsby is very minimal but I believe it speaks volumes for the book. The yellow color is a bit overwhelming but it goes well with everything. I really love how they used the “Y” in Gatsby as a martini glass. If you’ve read the book, you’d know that Gatsby is a very secretive man who holds lavish parties, and in a muted way, this cover really conveys this. The upper half of the man is in the shadows, like he is sitting in a dark corner and the light only hits his legs and the martini glass.

This cover of the graphic novel, The Molting is one of my favorites because the design is very simple, yet it draws your eye and is very memorable. The color scheme flows well, and I really like how the background doesn’t detract form the main image of Susie holding a gun and shooting the dog. The title and chapter in the bottom left has a really interesting font that doesn’t match anything else on the cover yet flows well with the whole piece. I love the title heading; the colors could have been a little more muted but the go nicely with the repeating red tones that occur through out the cover. The quote along the side almost brings a sort of irony to it, because it says “it pains me to have to make judgments about the future of one so innocent,” yet here is a girl holding a handgun getting ready to shoot the family dog. I like how he chose such a graphic and stunning image of a little girl holding a hand gun for his very first cover, it really catches your eye and makes you want to read it.

JenniferB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Selena S on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:27 pm

The first book is Company of Liars by Karen Maitland, which is about the Bubonic Plague. I really like this cover because it appeals too my macabre side. The colors go well together and the images inside an image are fascinating to me. Something like a demonic wolf with macabre images inside of it isn't something you would see very often. It's memorable because of how it's different and how it seems designed to catch your attention and creep you out a bit. I really appreciate how it looks worn and old as well. It seems to give the book character. I don't really like how the wolf's face gets cut off a little though and I feel that it's sloppy.

The second book is a version of Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. With this cover what struck me first was the colors and the leading lines. They flow very well together and draw your eye through the image. The design is rather abstract and complex. The more you stare at it the more you notice little things about the patterns in the waves or the clouds. I think the font could be a little bigger though as it is hard to read. Overall I love the surrealism of the piece which is what I think makes it the most memorable.

Selena S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roberth on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Anti-Racism in Education what I think about this book cover is that it has a good sillowet with all the war toys in the no circul but I do not thing they did it the way they shoud have for the line is going in to the solgers haed and the train is going thow it as well two times if you look half of the back of the
train is going thow the line up to the horse most of theis cood have been aved if the cinter line was going the other way

control your cash by greg mcfarlane and betty kincaid the cover to this book is dam near perfiet if was so a thing this woued be it the cover till you what it is a book about money and wow to us it I see no porlams if you do you can tell me

roberth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ranak on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Independent Study
Alternative assignment:
Worked on Adobe Premier CS4 editing assembly videos.
last few days have made credits titles, and edited audio in/out put on timelines for videos.
ranak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marleyJ on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 pm

This book's ('Pure' by Julianna Baggott) cover is very eye catching, the bright blue pops on the dark. The blue, included on the butterfly, is really different than most dark colored books since, more often than it should be, most try to use similar dark shades of colors to compliment or go with the rest of the detail of the cover design. The one thing I find irritating is that the title is big, granted as a designer you, clearly, want people to see the title but I feel that the size this time was far to big and obnoxious. I do like the fade on the text though it's nice and makes the text not as bright and mellows with the rest of the cover, yet I feel like the fade was done rather sloppily in some parts.

'Here Lies Arthur' by Philip Reeve has a very interesting cover, if you read the book you'll find that this is a scene that actually happens in the book so it's a very interesting way to go about a cover. The background, though, is very distracting the lightning everywhere is a nice effect but there's a lot of crowding texture that it becomes unpleasing. The arm rising from the water is nicely edited and the text is a different color that is noticeable against the background.

marleyJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaliahA on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:12 pm

This first book’s (Bella Maura by: Dawn Dyson) cover is very interesting and allows for you to guess as to what the story may be about. The colors alone keep you into what the cover is trying to tell you. The design of the butterfly connecting to the bottom of a human face is a special image. This first cover keeps your eyes moving and keeps your mind going. The purpose of the design is not clear through the picture or through the title of the book so it makes you use your imagination and predict what it’s trying to tell you.

The second book’s (The Boy Who Made it Rain By: Brian Conaghan) cover tells a story giving the title of the book and the picture by themselves. Unlike the first book cover, you can actually think as to what the story could be about connecting the title and the picture together, to create a story of your own. The blue guides my eyes to the lines that stand as the rain when I look at it. The use of the yellow and blue together was a good choice because it defines the most important parts of the information given. Using the blue for the rain of course lets you know that its rain, but along with that tells you that it’s an important part of the story and connects to the little boy, as presented in the title. Personally I think even though this is a really simple cover it was thought threw really well.
KaliahA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brandonw on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:18 pm

“Batman: Arkham City” and “The Flash: Rebirth” is outstanding graphic novel covers. In Batman, I love the monochromatic feel to it. It adds some depth into the background while still keeping the attention on the main character, so I believe that the artist should be commended for that. The Flash: Rebirth looks somewhat complicated, which was intentional. The lightning effects fit the artwork, and the red surprisingly complements the yellow. Overall, these are amazing covers.

brandonw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adamh on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm

m/image_preview.php?i=92&u=16860968]

Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes 'The Lazy sunday book'.This book cover is diffrent from the rest by the
color scheme is cosistant For example the color that he chosen for fire place,curtian and picture's on the
wall.What other things are the style of the letters and were he placed them and also the blue red contrast.
So over all this book cover as good coloor and lettering.

Herman Melville's Moby Dick. This Moby Dick book cover color sheme stays in area for example
the night sky to the dark green also the light gray with little brown. I think the artitst made moby dick lighter color to stand out.THis book cover has dark felling cause of the dark colors.

adamh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  valerieZ on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm

This particular cover of William Golding's book "Lord of the Flies" is one of my favorites in the line of book cover's. The colors are pleasing and don't stab at your eyes with popping contrasts that make you want to throw the book at a wall. The fly behind the child on the cover is very striking and gives a hint of danger, as well as mystery because it's behind the child, as if he isn't aware it's there. The concept of the cover is nicely done, it's not too clear that the design behind the boy is an island, but it's what it hints at, without bright big bold lines or bright colors to take away from the main image of the boy and fly.

This cover of Shel Silverstein's book "Where the sidewalk ends" is a high ranking book cover on my list. The simple black and white design let's your eyes focus on the picture rather than colors on it. It shows a picture of the sidewalk 'ending' and two children with their dog looking over the edge. It's a pleasing picture that summons memories of childhood and the things we wonder about in our juvenile phases. The image is very amusing and memorable because it reminds us all of our younger siblings or the young ones in our life and thought process of such young humans, maybe even our own. It hints at the mystery of the world when we're children, how odd the world seemed, and is a wonderful overall cover because of the memorable concept, easy colors and simple design.

valerieZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeydonN on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:53 pm

The Where The Wild Things Are Book cover stood out to me. I personally like the colors of the design and the texture. I like how they have some bright color tones and then they have some dark tones of color. I also like the way the trees look, There very different looking, kinda edgy.

In The Dr. Suess Green Eggs and Ham book cover i like the bright colors. The bright colors really make the cover pop out, another thing i like about it is the font. The font matches the theme of the book, which is childish and fun. I also like how they have the character on the front.
jeydonN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  angelinah on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:53 pm

This cover stood out to me because of the way they focused the attention on the mouse and how the background looks slightly old and warn out. I also liked how the added a hint or red yet they stuck to a rather simple color scheme all round.

I liked the way this cover was presented because I found it very simple yet elegant. They also went with a very simple color scheme that I like. The way they chose the red on red on black was very calming to me yet I remembered it and that's why it stood out.
angelinah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  clarek on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:39 pm

I picked the cover of The Revolution of Little Girls because it's contrasting colors make it really pop out. The cover also fits the story pretty well.

I picked the cover of The Pale King because it fits the story exceptionally well. I really like how they put important pieces of the story through the card. The colors flow nicely, too.

clarek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin B on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:08 pm

I really enjoy the first book cover because usually when you see poka dots they're bright and look happy, but they represented this one as a skull. Very different. The second cover really just caught my eye because it's showing you things through the sun glasses which is very different.

Justin B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Alternative Assignment

Post  MaesynG on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Editiing

MaesynG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Hill on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:41 pm

[img][/img]
I think this book design looks really awesome, not only cause of the 3D but because it's the sort of book that you'd have top take two glances at to understand it and it really is an eye catcher.

again, another eye catching, the one thing that it may take a second to notice is the font shadow change, and I think it's symbolizing what the story will be like, like it may sound like the perfect story but there is something dark behind it all.Also, the rearranging of the words are pretty cool, in my opinion I think it's unnecessary but with this certain book design, it seems like it fits.
Thomas Hill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  samkoki-jones on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 pm

The Catcher in the Rye's cover is very memorable because of the story, but it's also easily recognized by the newer design on the cover of the books. The previous cover just featured the title of the book centered on the front in what I assume to be Times New Roman. The newer designs are much better in my opinion. They feature more colors, but only a few so as to not be too overwhelming. The colors are very warm and work together very nicely. The marry-go-round horse and the New York skyline look hand-drawn in a stylized manner. The subject matters very much pertain to the story and remind you of the narrator himself in a way. Almost like he drew it himself.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's cover is also stylized. It's not very realistic looking at all either, but it focuses much more on form and color than anything else. The novel is about a human's adventure with a wacky alien and so the cover of the book gives off quite a wacky aura. It's very inviting to look at.
samkoki-jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adamh on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes 'The Lazy sunday book'.This book cover is diffrent from the rest by the
color scheme is cosistant For example the color that he chosen for fire place,curtian and picture's on the
wall.What other things are the style of the letters and were he placed them and also the blue red contrast.
So over all this book cover as good color.

Herman Melville's Moby Dick. This Moby Dick book cover color scheme stays in area for example
the night sky to the dark green also the light gray with little brown. I think the artitst made moby dick lightter color to stand out.This book cover has dark felling cause of the dark colors.

adamh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessicaM on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:06 pm

http://bookcoverarchive.com/images/books/wonderful_world_a_novel.large.jpg

I chose this book cover because i thought the art was sarcasm in a way. The title of the book is called " A Wonderful World" yet the color pallet of the design shows dark, gloomy shades of colors, they aren't very happy or "wonderful" colors. the design On the book cover brings a lot of attention to the book and makes you want to read it. Makes you wonder if the Author truly thinks its a wonderful world or if its just a book that has nothing to do with the world being wonderful at all. I think if a design can make some one think so much about a book, then the design has accomplished what it was meant to, which is to grab attention

jessicaM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VictoriaW on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:07 pm

The first book that I am dealing with is "The Opposite House" by: Helen Oyeyemi. This book shows what the word "opposite" means. It shows what opposite means because the picture in the background is a town flipped upside down. I feel the colors on this cover set the warm and calm mood of this book. The colors that this cover is made of sets the tone of how to read this book. I would most definitely read this book over and over again.

The second book that I am dealing with is "Double Shot" by: Anna Blundy. I really love this cover because "double shot" could mean two things, in this case. It could mean a double shot of coffee or someone getting shot twice (at least that is how I think of it). The steam coming out of the cup of coffee and forming the title with the authors name is brilliant. It is very creative and it doesn't make this book look plain or over done. The lips that are impressed onto the coffee cup show that a women has left her mark. The colors that make up this book cover show how deep and adventurous this book is going to be.
VictoriaW

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/babyface.willis?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  megans on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 pm

I chose this version of the Hobbit because of how beautiful the use of cool colors are and how it matches with text and non-painted back round of the book. I also, for personal reasons, love the painting it self, in the book it was very funny and fun to imagine.

I really enjoy this cover, not just for the art, even thought it is very beautiful, I just really enjoy the use of red on it as well. The way it makes a rather grey and dark backround makes Hellboy more noticeable and pop. I really enjoy the text used as well, its very different and noticeable.
megans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top