Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29 Empty Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:23 am

Write this with complete sentences, include a strong topic sentence.

1. Describe one point made in the movie.
2. Include two examples that the movie provided to support their point.
3. Explain why you agree or disagree with the point they were making. Make sure to support or develop your idea.

Admin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29 Empty Re: Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29

Post  cassidys on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:05 am

In the "Mickey Mouse Monoply" film,one point made was that Disney had been secretly showing signs of strong sexism in some of their movies. One movie example they talked about was "Mulan". They said that Mulan may have had a strong female lead, but in the end it was about her getting married and having a family, not returning to China's army. Another movie example they showed was "The Little Mermaid". This showed sexism and told girls to give up anything for a man. For example, Ariel in "The Little Mermaid", gave up her voice just to try and get a man she had never really met.
I do agree with the critics on how the movies shows sexism, but I do not agree that they have a huge impact on children. If a child grows up to be extremely sexist it is not the movies fault. That would be fault of the parents for correcting their children. You don't see too many people that grow up to be sexist anyways. I mean there are some people out there that believe that their gender is better than the other, but I rarely see serious sexism to another gender. in conclusion, I do not believe that Disney has a large impact on children.

Last edited by cassidys on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

cassidys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29 Empty Re: Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29

Post  EmK on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:10 am

One main point is people say that Disney is sexists and racists. Apparently they should be watching what they have for the movie music since the lyrics might be too harsh or offensive. People don't end up being that offensive about simple things unless it links to something in their past that they want to not be reminded about or remembered of. If you look at Mulan it seems to sexists due to the marriage sorter, who sees if the young lady is ready for to be a proper wife. In China that doesn't exist. Some parents find some of the Disney movies not appropriate to show their child and that's okay. Don't show it to your children or child then; it's your choice first and second that doesn't make Disney a bad company or horrible entertainment for children all around the world. What I've found is that Disney can be a bit on the bad side in some movies, but Disney isn't aiming to be racists or sexists towards anyone. They're simply providing everyone, including adults, with entertainment.
I personally love Disney movies; mainly I love The Little Mermaid. When I was growing up all I would watch is Disney movies and I never saw anything in them that was reflecting on my view of people and their ethnic group and color of skin they have. I've found nothing wrong with watching Disney movies. It's your child, Disney isn't suppose to teach them; you are to correct them and teach them as they grow into a adult. It's the parents responsibility.

Last edited by EmK on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
EmK
EmK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurenM on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:13 am

Mickey Mouse Monopoly had good points yet being extremely controversial and some may even say offensive. One point that the movie made was that Disney is sexist and used Mulan as an example. They noted that in the Disney movie, females must obey orders from males and rebellion brings dishonor on their family. In the movie there was also a little girl being picked on by a male peer, showing that usually females are weak or inferior. Mickey Mouse Monopoly argued that Disney was promoting the idea that females are supposed to be the perfect housewives. They are meant to be proper and neat, should excel in cooking and cleaning, and must be suited for marriage. I personally think that Mickey Mouse Monopoly was focusing too much on how Disney raises children when its the parent's or guardian's job to do so. Disney actually made a good point with Mulan by showing that despite gender stereotypes that any child (despite of their sex) can do something incredible. Mulan herself was brave and courageous, setting a good example, and ended up winning a war nearly on her own and saving the day despite what everybody around her was telling her. Despite the fact that she's a girl and everybody looked down on her shamefully, she still persevered and gained the respect of even the most important males in the army.

I personally think that one should not dwell too deep into the meaning of something meant to be pure and innocent. I don't think Disney ever had bad intentions and only wished to send good messages while still being entertaining and relevant.
LaurenM
LaurenM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AaliyahH on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:15 am

My thoughts of the Mickey Mouse Monopoly was that the people that were talking were just finding excuses not to like Disney. Basically they were pointing out the sexism and the racism that were subliminally put in the Disney movies. I agree with the fact that there is racism and sexism in some of the Disney films, however I do not believe that anyone who ever watched the films ever noticed that racism and sexism are in these movies. They also said that their children are basically being influenced by the racism that they "noticed" in these films. I strongly disagree with the fact that these children ever noticed that there was racism in these movies without an adult telling them that racism or sexism are in these films. In my opinion these people have nothing better to do then to sit around and complain about Disney movies.

AaliyahH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominiqueb on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:15 am

Yes, racism is out there. But in Disney movies? That’s a little crazy. One of the main points in the movie, ‘Mickey Mouse Monopoly’ was that the Disney movies are racist. When they would bring in other races, such as Latino or Chinese, both from the movie The Lady and the Tramp, they would be evil, or ‘street rats.’ They thought that this was affecting the children, and was going to make them racist. I grew up with these movies. I was a major fan of Snow White. She was my idle. I came out okay! I’m not racist, and I don’t think I can get whatever I want if I use my body by seducing people. Disney characters were just for entertainment. I see where they are coming from, but honestly. Do you think that six and seven year old kids are going to get that the trouble maker is Latino? That the twin cats are Chinese? The voices just made the character, not making them extremely racist.

Last edited by Dominiqueb on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Dominiqueb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LucusM on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:17 am

For the past few days, we have been watching the movie Mickey Mouse Monopoly. The movie is about the bad reputation Disney has when it comes to their movies. People have reported racism in there movies, along with sexualism and other stereotypes in their movies.
For example, one point that they brought up was the fact that girls are always defenseless against enemies and always need assistance. In a way, I agree with that and that they should have more power in their movies. However, can you imagine a really strong, built man struggling for assistance and calling for help when it’s against another man? That usually doesn’t look good and makes the character look wimpy. They also bring up the point that girls have to look pretty so they can get what they want. That isn’t always the way to go when you need something.
In some ways I agree with their idea on this, but the other topics like how their voices tell whether they are good or bad in real life, I don’t 100% agree with. For example, the hyenas from the lion king were played by black actors. According to the critics, they believe that kids are going to believe that everyone with that voice is going to be evil. That seems silly; it’s up to the parents to tell their kids that that is wrong and that they shouldn’t blame the movie. They also have to know that some of the movies were made when racism or sexualism was ok. At the time, it wasn’t anything bad at all. We are a little more advanced then we were then and realize that all genders/races are all the same.
So I believe that some topics in this story are going a little too extreme. But over all, some topics got me thinking, but other topics are just silly. It got to the point that if the parents saw racism in a kid’s movie, it made me think that the parents were over protective. If they do not want their kids to watch it, don’t show it to them. It is their jobs to teach their kids from right to wrong, not Disney’s.
LucusM
LucusM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29 Empty Mickey Mouse Monopoly thoughts.

Post  chelsea1998 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:17 am

Monopoly-“The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.” Disney Monopoly? Sexism, Racism, Hidden Messages, Controlling our children, controlling our lives, controlling our world. After watching the documentary Mickey Mouse Monopoly, I now have a better understanding of how Disney works and runs. Disney is not the innocent little child hood memories everybody knows it to be. Their tactics are ruining the minds of our children, and we need to stop it now.

Mickey Mouse Monopoly states some very important factual information about Disney such as how racist and how sexist it is. I totally agree with everything this documentary is saying, because it is all so true. Disney uses fictional characters to portray the fact that women are useless to this world. Basically, ever Disney princess is some little dainty girl who always needs to be rescued by a man or in this case, “Find her prince”. Disney is trying to point out that without men, women are nothing. I mean, the objective of almost every Disney movie is to find love, or a prince, E.T.C.

Also, Disney is very racist, especially to the races of Latinos and African Americans. If you ever notice, most African American characters are portrayed as Gorillas, Monkeys, Orangutans, Alligators, and Bears. You can tell this because they always seem to have a slow type of jazzy tone to their voice, or a southern tone. With Latinos, They usually are portrayed as Dogs who have yippy voices, and strong accents that are always very hyper and very senseless. Disney always has to incorporate some sort of stereotype into their films.

Sometimes, Disney’s messages to their viewers, mostly younger children, are very damaging. In the Beauty and the Beast for example, Belle is captivated, yelled at, emotionally abused, physically abused, and treated like scum by the Beast- all of the characteristics of an abusive relationship. Just like an abused woman, she starts to make up excuses for the Beast and as long as she treats him right, then everything will be ok. This can be very damaging; this is basically teaching children it is ok to stay in an abusive relationship. After showing clips of the movie, children were then asked what they thought about this movie. One girl distinctly stated that “Belle should be nice to the Beast and maybe he would be nicer to her and not so mean.”

Disney isn’t just a magical kingdom full of wonders. All of that? Yeah, it’s an illusion. Disney is a poison; poisoning the minds of us all. How far will they go? How far have they gone? We need to put an end to this. Disney is no good.

chelsea1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  andrea.p on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:18 am

In Micky Mouse monopoly one of the points that it made was when the mother and son were out on a walk and the son heard kids playing on the playground. He said “momma it’s the hyena,” and when the mother looked over there was black children playing on the grounds. The official people in this video said that because of the Disney movie he associated their voice to the sound of the hyena’s voice. In the Disney movie the hyenas are the bad characters, so that put in the little boys mind that the kids on the playground were bad or up to no good.
I really disagree with this point. I can understand why some parents are mad but if you’re letting a movie impact your child’s life to that extent that’s not right. The parent should be the one who will step forward and tell the child what’s right and what wrong. Not just the act that maybe if there voice resembles the hyenas doesn’t automatically make them a bad person. if the child grows up to be racist just from one simple children’s movie then that’s just on the parents , because they didn’t step in when they should have and told them what’s right or wrong. So I wouldn’t say that Disney is corrupting little kids minds , its what they retain from the movie and how the parent handles the situation.

andrea.p

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29 Empty Mickey Mouse Monopoly Response

Post  Michaelk1 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:21 am

The documentary “Mickey Mouse Monopoly” made me have a different prospective on Disney movies and the Disney corporation in general. Firstly the Disney Corporation tends to put certain ideas and stereotypes in to children’s head at a young age. For an example in Disney’s “The Jungle Book” the Orangutans have characteristics of a black person, also in the Lion King they give the hyenas characteristics of a black person as well. Since the hyenas have black characteristics it stereo types black people as mean, loud and violent. Secondly Disney puts an idea in girl’s heads at a young age that princesses and other female Disney characters have big chest and large hips and a tiny waste. Since they display Disney princesses like that it makes girls have low self esteem and tend to be self conscious about looks.
Since watching “Mickey Mouse Monopoly” I agree with the argument that they had in the documentary. They exposed the stereotypes and bad examples Disney put out to young children. They also showed how influential and greedy Disney really is around the world. However some of the arguments I didn’t necessarily agree with considering Disney didn’t create all these fairy tales.

Michaelk1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29 Empty Mickey mouse monopoly thoughts

Post  matthewd on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 am

In the movie Mickey Mouse Monopoly it said that Disney is racist and that some of the movies have a bad influence on children. Like in Mulan the girl is Chinese and she goes into the war as a soldier and saves her country but when she returns they treat her just like a girl with no real importance. I don’t think that Disney is racist because that’s how china’s culture was years ago. I think its almost like a lesson no matter how people see her she can still make a big difference. There was still some racism back when some of these movies where made but everything has changed now and I think is up to the parent to show that everyone is equal no matter of your race, religion or culture. Disney movies where made for entertainment not to teach a child to be racist and an adult or parent will have a bigger impact then a movie they saw when they where younger.

matthewd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29 Empty Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29

Post  tiffanya on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 am

In the movie Mickey Mouse Monopoly in one point of the movie
some of the interviewee’s said that some of the Disney movie’s were vary racist and sexist the reason they said it because in the Lion King Disney had a Mexican actor play a hyena and so a little boy who came up to his mother saying that a bunch of kids were laughing like hyena’s like the character in the movie.
Another thing in each Disney the women character has to be saved by a male or a women has to use her body to get her way like in Aladdin Princess Jasmine used her body to trick Jafar and letting him think she like him. In Mulan a women is pegged to be married and have children and take care of the house hold but she wanted to fight in the war because her father was drafted but he was injured already and she wanted take his place cause she wanted fight for her country and a women can do as much as a man can do.
I disagree, because if the parent thinks Disney is sexist and racist then talk to child about it sit them down and explain to them and don’t him or her go on and thinking it’s ok to be that kind of person but I do see a point on why they think that I believe that Disney was trying to have various minorities in their movies but with the wrong role. I don’t think they were tiring to offend others but they did and they work on it more and try to make things right.

tiffanya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 15: Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly Due Oct 29 Empty the michy mouse monopoly and it's impact on sexism and racism

Post  HealyG on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:28 am

Healy Grant
10-26-12
Second hour
Visual imaging

I agree the Disney Company is sexist and racist. Since I was born I had stock in Disney, but since I was 5 I knew Disney was sexist, because all the princesses are anorexic, have a certain ignorant, almost child-like demeanor, and end up being swept by the prince in the end away to be his wife. For male roles they start out abusive or are way to “charming” to be real, when the female protagonist is all alone with her friends or is reading she is like a empowered woman, but when the villain or male protagonist enters she becomes a seductive like in “Bambi” or she acts like “Save me! Help save me!” in the 1999 movie “Ella enchanted” she started out thinking the prince was a snot nosed brat and protested against his poor leadership, and in the end she falls in love with this nit-wit and marries him! Or like in the book “Coralline” she saves her family and friends herself. In the Disney movie they came up with this male character named Wybe and he ends up saving her in the end, like you can’t get worse than that in sexism! Then there’s snow whites problem, the princess was technically dead in that glass coffin, the prince bent over the beautiful “sleeping” maiden and kissed her. Firstly she married a guy who kissed her while she was asleep, isn't that illegal, even if you know the person and a person who kisses a dead person or shows attraction to the dead is a necrophiliac! It is no secret that Walt Disney preferred to draw his fairies naked, but wanted pure things only to go on screen. I’m waiting for the movie where the prince wears flowers and sings while cleaning, while the heroin of the story fight off ogres. “but father” said the prince, “I want to SING!”

Racism can make things funny, but only when blame is shared equally through out the picture or the people making it are making fun of there own culture like Brittan’s insulting Britain in “Monty pythons flying circus” or “Hetalia world series” sometimes with a ethnically diverse cast you cant help but see a bit of racism that writers add to improve tension or create suspense I’m not condoning this however, racism is wrong at all points there is only one race the human race. What scares me is how Disney has radio and TV stations, magazines and so much power through out the world. I think Disney is trying to fix the princess problem by adding more ethnically diverse princesses like Jasmine or The frog princess. The only way to remove sexism/ racism from a child’s life completely in today’s world is to lock them in a room with no contact with any human life! The point I believe the documentary writers should of done when confronting children is not tell them it was racist /sexist, but why it was so the children or adults. The movies are not promoting racism but are dulling our senses to what is racist. Like only in America because we do not know how to deal with these problems is the movie from the 1930’s “Song of the south” the movie that was the first to have animation and actors in the same screen banned. Or in the DVD release the crows in “Dumbo” are cut out.
HealyG
HealyG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BrandonSturtz on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:30 am

Thoughts on Mickey Mouse Monopoly
One point in the movie is that they believe that Disney is using sexism and racism to make their movies funny in the eyes of young children; however my main focus of this writing assignment is to focus on the racism that Disney portrays.
One of the points this movie made shows that Disney has put racism into there movies. The first example is that in their movies animals always have a distinct race. These animals are what some kids think belong as that race. For example the monkeys are always African Americans which could be thought as calling African-Americans savages or something to that. My second example is that the race that the “animals” represent fit their stereotype like a Hispanic that would steal anything worth value. Things like that might give young kids bad ideas. Now do I agree, or disagree; I believe that it can be racist but it’s not at a very noticeable to young children sometimes adults. I do not believe young children should not watch because it’s for there entertainment. So I do not believe it would affect young children like actually being abused by someone would.

BrandonSturtz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassidym on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 am

Mickey Mouse Monopoly

The film “Mickey Mouse Monopoly” recently opened my eyes to the racial stereotypes and distorted images of femininity Disney have been slipping into their movies for years. What bothers me most and I feel has the biggest impact on young children is the way they portray femininity, and what it means to be a woman.

You’ll find that in every Disney film the women are perfectly sculpted and are essentially the appitomy of perfection. What kind of message does that send to children? If they strive for that kind of perfection, they will be sully disappointed with life. It’s important to teach children that all people are divine, and beautiful, perfect shouldn’t even be part of their vocabulary.

Another thing about Disney films that really doesn’t sit well with me, are the racial stereotypes. You’ll notice that in the film “Oliver and Company” Latinos are portrayed by a Chihuahua, who appears rather disheveled and speaks broken English, and even goes as far as to steal a car in the film. In the film “Alladin” they portray Albanian culture as being extremely brutal, and suggest in the film’s introduction song that they may cut off your ear if they don’t like your face. Though I was too young to pick up on these stereotypes as a child, it makes me rather uncomfortable now that the film has brought these issues into the light.

I’m not completely under the impression that Disney put these references in these films with horrible intentions, we have to take into consideration that times were much different when a lot of these films were created, but if I am siding with “Mickey Mouse Monopoly on this one”. I am reconsidering ever letting my own children view the films.

Cassidym

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AaliyahH on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 am

My thoughts of the Mickey Mouse Monopoly was that the people that were talking were just finding excuses not to like Disney. Basically they were pointing out the sexism and the racism that were subliminally put in the Disney movies. I agree with the fact that there is racism and sexism in some of the Disney films, however I do not believe that anyone who ever watched the films ever noticed that racism and sexism are in these movies. They also said that their children are basically being influenced by the racism that they "noticed" in these films for example, in the movie jungle Book they pointed out that the monkeys that are in the movie were always dancing, loved jazz music, and talked with an accent, so pretty much saying they were black, or like the Siamese twins from lady and tramp, with the slanted eyes, buck teeth, and always manipulating, implying that were Japanese. I strongly disagree with the fact that these children ever noticed that there was racism in these movies without an adult telling them that racism or sexism are in these films. In my opinion these people have nothing better to do then to sit around and complain about Disney movies.

AaliyahH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  breesalvatore on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:53 pm

I disagree with the things that are said in the Mickey Mouse Monopoly. They have made some valid points, though. The things that were said about The Beauty and the Beast were accurate, that you should be nice to the abuser, and then the abuser will change into a prince, but, I honestly don't think kids look at it like that. I certainly did not. I never thought about any of the Disney movies in such depth like the people who were talking in this video. When I was little all I wanted was to be a princess. Other than that, I had never thought about what the movies were actually portraying. I don't think the racism that was applied in the movie was intentional. I think Disney did it for entertainment. I doubt they would be trying to turn little kids racist, or have a certain outlook. I believe that everything in the movie, as I said, was simply for entertainment. I don't think it was meant to offend anyone.

breesalvatore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaileyFinnen on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 am

I agree with the fact that Disney movies are racist and sexist and ethnocentric, but I don’t think they’re intent is to brainwash kids into holding the same stereotypes and opinions. Mickey Mouse Monopoly says that Disney movies aren't diverse enough, but I'm guessing most of the writers are mostly of the same white ethnicity, and they write things they can relate to. I feel like the writers don’t realize what they’re doing, or if they do, they don’t mean for the subliminal messages to have an impact on how children see things. For instance, Beauty and the Beast takes place in the Renaissance period, where people held beliefs that men were stronger than woman and that woman should tame the man they love into a good husband. But in Mickey Mouse Monopoly, they said that it's teaching kids that abuse is okay, that if you stick it out the abuser will reveal the prince underneath. In 2002, Beauty and the Beast was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." How a can a movie that brainwashes kids be significant enough to be in the Library of Congress?

Last edited by HaileyFinnen on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
HaileyFinnen
HaileyFinnen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MelissaK on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:06 am

In Micky Mouse Monopoly, they said that they shouldn't have everything about the movie on plates and backpacks and all the toys because that would change how a kid plays because then they would play the wrong way and they would just play how the movie showed it. I don't think thats right because kids should be able to play how they want, and if they play the movie thats good because thats shows that the child rememberd what happened in it.

Last edited by MelissaK on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
MelissaK
MelissaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  isobelm on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:07 am

A point that was made was that men always have the higher power and are always the hero. That goes with almost every Disney movie such as Hercules and Aladdin, with exceptions to Beauty and the Beast. I think that the point they made was that it doesn’t always have to be the man that’s the hero, it can be the woman. I agree that it can be the woman. Disney has made some strong female characters in the past. In Beauty and the Beast I see her as the hero. She saves him from himself and from self destruction. Another point that was made was race. Disney isn’t very diverse with its characters and their nationalities. The body shapes are typical for the men and the women, but most of the characters, pretty much all of them, are white. You never really see a black person or a Mexican. I think that the only other race that I have seen is Chinese and whatever Aladdin is, Middle Eastern. I think Mulan is Chinese. I never really paid attention to it as a child. These issues weren’t brought up while I was enjoying my movies. Although Disney movies are enjoyable and entertaining, they don’t have a lot of different kinds of characters. A lot of the characters seem the same to me now. They all start to look alike and sound alike after a while. I think that my favorite movie would be Mulan because it shows a strong, Chinese woman. That is not typical of Disney and that’s why I like it.

isobelm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaileyM on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:10 am

In this movie, I both agree and disagree with some statements they made. As far as racism goes, I think it's very hard to portray different nationalities without coming off as racist. If you make them too poor, it's racist. If you make them too fat, or too hairy, it's racist. I don't think they purposely make their movies look racist. When they said that all of the African Americans were portrayed as either Monkeys or crows, it was a very true statement, and I see how it could be offensive. I do agree Disney can be quite racist at times.

I disagree with what they said about the influence on little girls. In "Mickey Mouse Monopoly", They gave us an example of how a movie would poorly influence a little girl. They said that "Beauty and the Beast", could make a girl believe that domestic violence is OK and that you should see the good in it, but as a child, I never would have realized how it could be a bad influence unless someone took the time to explain it to me. I don't think any child would realize it unless someone explained it to them. I don't think Disney movies poorly influence children as much as some people think they do. For the most part, I think Disney is a good influence.

Last edited by KaileyM on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
KaileyM
KaileyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dajohn on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:13 am

I felt that Disney was being racist to blacks and Mexicans. I feel that way, because it was only a few black people or they were monkeys. Another reason is the Mexicans were only dogs. I agree with both of these things because they brought out multiple examples, in which they are sending a bad message to children.

dajohn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ElenaH on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:24 am

In Mickey Mouse Monopoly, while discussing Disney’s treatment of gender issues in its movies, the point was made that even when female characters are “strong” or “independent,” they almost always end up in some sort of trouble that they need a man to rescue them from. The documentary brought up Belle from Beauty and the Beast, specifically in the scene where she runs away from the Beast’s castle and is then attacked by a pack of wolves, which she needs the Beast to save her from. Another example used was Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, when she needs Quasimodo to save her from being burned as a witch.

I agree with the documentary's argument here. Another of the Disney movies that display this pattern of the “strong” woman being strong only until trouble arrives and then needing a man to save her is Tarzan; in that movie the character Jane, despite being an intelligent, curious, and capable researcher and explorer, ends up being chased by vicious jungle animals and needs Tarzan to swing by heroically in the nick of time and rescue her from certain doom. This idea that a woman can’t truly have control over their lives and need a man to step in when things get rough can have a terrible impact on the minds of small girls- and boys. Both young girls and young boys learn that women are weak and dependent on men, and can’t help themselves.

The worst thing about this influence is that it is incredibly subtle. Children don’t go watch a movie and then come out espousing sexist views- they simply see an entertaining movie. However, the slow and quiet accumulation of these images- images of gender, male/female relations, dependence, and weakness- builds up and combines with many other subtle influences from child's family, friends, and society to create something incredibly destructive that the child is not even aware of. These quiet biases impact how people interact with each other, and shape the society we live in. What children see when they are young- in this particular instance, Disney movies- becomes a part of their internal representation of the world. If what they internalize from these movies are images of female dependence and weakness, those images become a small but significant- and damaging- part of their worldview.

ElenaH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WilliamVA on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am

I thought this movie was a little bit too much. It portrays Disney as evil and more like a government than a company that produces entertainment. They say that you can't escape Disney, even though millions of people love Disney. I think if you don't like Disney, then you don't watch it. It's not like people are directly forcing you to watch it. They may have a lot of advertisements and own many television stations, but that doesn't mean they're taking over the world. If you see an advertisement for drugs or weapons, that doesn't mean you'll go out and purchase them. I just feel that they made a giant deal out of maybe some coincidences or disagreements. I thought a lot about when the movie focused on the sexist aspects of Disney movies. But times were different back when classic Disney movies came out. They still are different today but still some portray women as the stay at home, cook and clean type of people. Like one of the students said, as peoples rights started getting more equal and became more popular Disney movies started to change soon after, with female heroines. Movies like Brave and Tangled include females as the heroines. I personally don't love Disney, and disagree with a lot of the things Walt Disney did. I still think that this movie did have some points, but shouldn't have been stretched out into almost and hour of arguments and people expressing their points. I enjoyed watching this movie but would have enjoyed it more if they hadn’t gone into detail about small things.
WilliamVA
WilliamVA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jordanb on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:26 am

My thoughts of the Mickey Mouse Monopoly were that it showed racism and sexism. I don't think that the kids would have ever noticed it unless it was brought to their attention. One point is that the girls always have to be beautiful and skinny, and they always have to be saved by the guy in the movie. In the movie 'Mulan' it shows that a girl can save herself, but when she returns it's like she never did that and has to go back to being a lady. Another point is that when there are African Americans in movies they always make them the bad guys and in animal movies they are the monkeys. Another thing in the animal movies is that if it's supposed to be a Mexican person they make them a Chihuahua and have them steal things or if they are Chinese, they make them Siamese cats like in Lady in the tramp. In Beauty and the Beast it showed that if Belle showed the Beast love and was always nice to him that he would change and be a better person, but in reality it's showing kids that it's okay to be in an abusive relationship as long as you show him love. I agree that there is racism and sexism showing in the movies but I don't think that the kids pay much attention to it.
jordanb
jordanb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next