aaw
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques

Go down

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques Empty Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques

Post  Admin Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 am

Using one of the images shown in class yesterday, write an Art Critique, using the following format:

Introduction
Description
Analysis
Interpretation

Write this as a couple of paragraphs. You do not need to label your introduction as "Introduction." Just include the identifying information for the work in your intro. Throughout the writing, do not use bullet points, write it as standard paragraphs with complete sentences.

Check your work for fragment sentences, capital letters at the start of sentences, and spell check.

Grading (5 points total):

Up to 1 point for the substance in each required section (up to 4 points total)
1 point for formatting (complete sentences, spelling)
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques Empty Re: Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques

Post  christab Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:28 am

The Human Condition, an example of surrealism, is an oil painting created by René Magritte in 1935. It shows a painting on an easel that depicts an ocean meeting both sand and sky. The painting is an extension of the view outside, as seen through an arched window or door. To the left of the easel there is a black ball on the ground. The Human Condition’s complementary color scheme, which is one of blue and orange/yellow, really dominates the painting. Also, I am drawn in by the contrast of the arched doorway and the angled canvas.

I think this painting represents the idea that art extends the world around us; it symbolizes that without art, the world would be missing something, such as the ability to perceive the world to a further degree. However, when I take the title into consideration, I think that it could also relate to a lack of human creativity. It could be mocking realism and paintings that depict nothing more than what is seen on the surface level.
christab
christab

Back to top Go down

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques Empty Rene Magritte- Collective Invention

Post  beccat Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:28 am

Rene Magritte's "Collective Invention," painted in 1934, seems to be an oil painting (and I know that usually Magritte uses oils).

Pictured is a creature with human legs and hips, but the top half is a fish, fins and all. One thing I noticed is that the fish-half doesn't have scales, and that makes it seem a little more human. This creature is laying on a shore. It seems as if it was washed in from the ocean and can't get itself up. The eyes of the creature are open, but seem lifeless and expressionless. Somehow it seems comfortable.

The colors are complementary (blue of the ocean and an orange-ish tone in the sand and skin). My eyes are drawn to the dark color of the fish's head, against the light colored sand. The curves of the creature's body and the waves in the ocean are slightly similar.

I think this painting is clearly a play on a mermaid, but inverted. Mermaids are typically known for their good looks and grace. I think "Collective Invention" might symbolize appreciation for unconventional beauty. Rene Magritte may have been trying to tell the world to find beauty in strange or "ugly" things.

Last edited by beccat on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
beccat
beccat

Back to top Go down

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques Empty Art Critique

Post  AaronF Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:29 am

"The Human Condition", by René Magritte was created in 1935, and what a wonderful piece this artist made.
This picture looks to be from a normal time not an older one, because the way it's put together. In the photo there is the canvas painting of the beach and there is also the ocean or lake that he's on, and also from the picture all of this painting is from the view of a porch or a little deck. This picture is very well thought of and it's well thought of because the painting is looking out of a house or a small place, and the colors that the artist picked really bring out this picture and what it means to him. The color that the artist used is only a couple of colors but made it look very nice. It was a darkish orange with two types of blue, a darker blue for the water and a lighter blue for the water, and a great yellow/brown color to bring out the sand in the photo, which really stands out in this photo.

What I think of the painting is that it could be reflecting how someone is feeling as they are painting this picture because the water is calm and in the picture it doesn't look that hot out but it's a picture so you can't really tell, but I would imagine that it would be warm out. This picture could also be just what someone wanted to do or live at. I would've liked to have a place where this person is painting so, it could also be there dream and it came true finally. The one thing that makes this picture kind of weird to me is that little black ball or whatever it is down their, it's a little confusing but, it helps make the painting what it is and helps out with the color scheme and makes it look awesome.

Last edited by AaronF on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

AaronF

Back to top Go down

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques Empty Re: Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques

Post  KiraLee Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Man Ray's piece Le Violon d'Ingres which was created in 1924 is an image of a woman with the markings of a cello/violin on her back.
Since the shape of a women's torso and the shape of a cello are similar, blending the two images together seems to work. The woman is sitting with her back turned on a checkered blanket of some kind. Her skin seems to be made of stone or some kind of solid material that clearly isn't human.
The photo uses a scheme of mostly cool colors with some pink undertones (or my monitor is insane.)
There's nothing but a girl sitting with a violin pattern tattooed onto her back. There's no hidden meaning, there's no special message... just a woman sitting there with the tattoos on her back.

KiraLee

Back to top Go down

Post  maddiet Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Man Ray’s piece Le Violon d’Ingres was created in 1924. It seems to be a photograph which almost looks painted. The photo is of a woman’s bare back. Her head is slightly turned to the side so we can see her profile; she is also wearing a sort of turban and sitting with a blanket around her bottom half. There is nothing in the background to distract the eye. On her lower back, Man Ray has used a photogram, or possibly drawn, violin F-holes. The effect is strange.

The addition of the musical markings transforms the woman’s body into a stringed instrument. It’s a pretty clever idea, for the human form strongly resembles instruments such as the violin, especially when we consider the female form from the back. The curves of her waist and hips represent the curves of the violin, the neck and shoulders also are shapes in a cello or violin and so on. The two have very similar shapes that are almost identical. My overall impression of this piece, however, is rather negative. One could interpret this piece as sexist. Turning a woman into an object meant to be played. But I am certain there is some other meaning hidden in it. Something else I noticed although its off topic: This portrait reminds me of our similar objects project from third quarter.
maddiet
maddiet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashlynm Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:46 pm

Salvador Dalí painted many paintings in his time though his most famous was “The Persistence of Memory” produced in1931. The painting is an oil painting that shows drooping clocks hanging off of trees in a sort of lost land. The drooping clocks seem to stand out amongst the rest of the painting for they are the first things that grab your attention and the background isn’t as brightly colored. “The Persistence of Memory” seems that it is relating to life and by the drooping of the clocks it seems Salvador Dalí was showing how life can go by so slow, which then leaving you in a dull moment in time.
Ashlynm
Ashlynm

Back to top Go down

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques Empty Writing Art Criticism

Post  Z.Roberts Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:54 pm

The sculpture, Gift, by “Man Ray” in 1921 is a surrealist piece of art, but he was also a Dadaist.

This photo has an iron for clothes in it. On the part of the iron which would touch the clothes to get rid of the wrinkles, there are fourteen thumb tacks glued on with the point sticking out, rendering it useless.

The sculpture it self is in the center of the photo. The picture was taken in black and white which adds to the simplicity of the piece.

I personally like the sculpture. I think simple things often make the best pieces of art. I think that if it hadn’t been taken in black and white, it wouldn’t have turned out so good.
Z.Roberts
Z.Roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  DominiqueM Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:54 pm

Rene Magritte's "Collective Invention," painted in 1934, looks as if it is a oil painting.

“Collective Invention” is a painting of a human body from the waist down, and I fish from the waist up. The fish has fins, but no scales. The body looks as if it was washed up onto shore. The eyes are open, and the body is just laying there emotionless.

The colors go well with each other, and the lines, and curves similar. The dark blue ocean goes well with the dark orangish sand. The waves have curves that compliment the curves of the actual body lying on the sand. They go together great.

Looking at this picture I think of a mermaid, but it’s the other way around. Instead of a fish tail and beautiful face and waist on a nice beach, you’re looking at the total opposite.
DominiqueM
DominiqueM

Back to top Go down

Post  MollyJ Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Maggie Taylor creates her work using photography and Photoshop. Woman Who Loves Fish was created in 2003. This picture appears in a book called Solutions Beginning with A. This book is a poetry book by Lola Haskins.

This is a painting of a woman. She is wearing a blue dress and holding a red fish. She is standing to the left of the picture. To the right side of the picture and behind the woman are a bucket and some water spilled on the ground. In the background there is a deep red tree line and a smoke stack. The sky and the checkered ground are a green tint.

The woman holding the fish is the dominated part of the picture. She stands out the most. The blue dress and the red fish are complimentary colors. They are warm against the harsh colors in the background.

I love this picture. I love the woman’s dress so much. I like how Maggie Taylor put the woman in an older Victorian style dress but put a modern kind of smoke stack in the background. I believe this woman really loves fish. I think that maybe the smoke stack and the greenish color of the sky represents pollution and that maybe the woman is helping or saving the fish. I also love the colors they work well together. The woman and the fish are complimentary colors and they look really nice against the background. I really do love this piece.
MollyJ
MollyJ

Back to top Go down

Post  carl313 Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:27 pm

Maggie Taylor’s piece southern gothic created in 2001 shows a picture of a little girl in a blue dress tearing herself as if she was made out of paper. Behind her seems to be a white southern castle on what seems to be an oil pastel canvas also the grass the girl is standing in makes up the skirt that she’s wearing.

This is another piece where the person in it has no real facial expression and it gives it a kind of creepy feeling. I think this picture is a direct reflection of what the girl is feeling because of the situation in the castle that is behind her this being said coming from a psychoanalysis of my own accord and my thoughts and experiences.

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques Southe10
carl313
carl313

Back to top Go down

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques Empty ART CRITICISM

Post  chasityM Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:53 pm

Maggie Taylor Fragile painting produced in 1999. this painting reveals a young man releasing his stress by letting the steam out of his head. he really seems stressed because he his pullin his hair out. The background has very warm colors that
Really work with the colors of the face the red blends in with the colors in the shirt and botie .All the colors really blend in wit each other like the face skin tone works with the backgroung and stand out. The
Mood of this painting seem mad and angry and kind of boring at the same time cause the young man
Looks like he is stressed out and need to let it all out and the expressing on his face looks kind of dual
Like the artist is trying to tell something or a story of what the boy is feeling and going threw.

chasityM

Back to top Go down

Assignment 14 - Surrealism _ Art Critiques Empty Earl Dube_Surrealism

Post  squEARL-dube Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 am

Surrealism Essay- Earl Dube-11th Grade- Digital Imaging II- 4th Quarter-
-2nd Hour- Ms. Mantey’s Class- Assignment 14- 4-15-2010

This piece here is called Lobster Telephone; by Salvador Dali who was a prominent Spanish Catalan surrealist painter born in Figueres. Salvador Dali was best known for the striking and bizarre images in his surrealist work and he certainly shows just that in this piece of art. If you look and understand this picture it really is worth more than 1,000 words. This sculpture most basically shows a nice red lobster sitting on an old black 1940’s telephone’s dock which is attached to a wire connected to the black telephone’s base.
Salvador Dali didn’t really use the rule of thirds when taking this picture it’s pretty centered to me. The lobster uses the brightest colors in the whole picture, while the background is plain and boring, and the telephone’s black color seemed almost bright even though it was still a black. Almost like Salvador tries to make the background boring and unnoticeable on purpose just to center everything on the bright red of the lobster and the stand out black of the telephone.
This picture tells us many things. The picture is saying how animals like the lobster don’t talk like humans do, animals don’t have communication like we do, and animals that we have gifts other animals don’t. So are we thankful for this? I know I am and I hope others are too. Maybe that’s what this author of the picture is saying, we should be thankful for all that we have that others don’t. The author is probably also expressing or pondering what animals would say if they could talk to us humans. We all know we treat animals lesser to how we treat other humans and ourselves. We are the dominate species to other animals so how are animals responding to that? It shows by the fear most of them exhibit towards us everyday. The Lobster Telephone is an illustration of to ponder what animals think about us, and to be thankful for what we have that others don’t.
squEARL-dube
squEARL-dube

Back to top Go down

Post  bhudson Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:45 pm

Rene Magritte’s painting thats called “Collective Invention” shows a fish head attached to a pair of legs. It was during the period 1934. this picture is reverse cycology. It looks as if it washed up on shore because it is lying on its side in the sand right by the water. Dark water waves and a light sky is set as the background. It is basically a reversed mermaid—instead of having a fish tail and a humans upper body it has the complete opposite. In this painting, the colors used are dark. Magritte mostly used orange, brown and blue hues. She chose colors thst were opposites.

Its a great i dea to reverse this image and see what nd how it turned out. When I first saw this picture of a fish with human legs I loved it for the simple fact that its different and you have to think out of the box to come up with something like that. this picture to me symbolizes reverse cycology and the feeling of being trapped. I said trapped for the simple face that fish can only move when their in water, which concludes that this mermaid is stuck on shore and has no other option but to die. I think that has to do with the color sceme also because it puts you in that "rainy day" feeling.

To me, this image means that something different can live a normal life in a certain habitat, but flip the situation it doesn’t work as well as it would if it was in its normal habitat.
bhudson
bhudson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum