aaw
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assignment 1: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Sep 7

Go down

Assignment 1: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Sep 7 Empty Assignment 1: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Sep 7

Post  Admin Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 pm

After watching the Ted Talk video by Chris Jordan, post your response to it here. Include one paragraph summarizing his goals as an artist, and one paragraph explaining your goals as an artist. (You may have more than one goal, but focus on a main one.) Use proper academic writing, please.

2 points possible:
1 for reaction to video
1 for stating your own goals as an artist.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Sep 7 Empty My goal as an artist

Post  Jewel_Dotson Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:28 pm

I think Chris Jordanís goal as an artist is to make people realize the problems in our society. Things that affect or are the American peopleís behaviors. He pointed out a lot of things the government or news doesnít talk about. They give little information of things that harm or kill our people that are being sold. They fail to educate the people. Yes, it is the peopleís responsibility to educate themselves but they wonít if they donít know there is something to be educated about and will continue to be harmed.
My goal as an artist is to get people to view the world in a different light. Get them to see the world as it was made to be and not for what it is. I want to point out that yes, people will be people, they will fight, steal, and kill but you yourself can change by one act at a time. Another goal is to point out to people that history does repeat itself. Show how events from our past coincide with events happening in the present and may happen in the future. Lastly, I want to show people to educate themselves about political ideas so as a society we can grow and stop people crooks in office.

Jewel_Dotson

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Sep 7 Empty Re: Assignment 1: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Sep 7

Post  csmith Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:29 pm

I think Chris Jordanís goal in his artwork is to get a point across. He takes important issues occurring all over that people usually disregard, and tries to make them easier to feel. You can think about a problem, and feel a problem, but people tend to feel more so with art and visuals in general than through words or statistics. I think Chrisís idea and work is fulfilling to himself, in getting out his feelings and thoughts, and fulfilling to others in learning an important lesson.
One goal I have as an artist, or with my art, is to portray a feeling; whether it is my own feeling, someone elseís, or a communal feeling. If I was trying to portray the feeling of joy or anger, depending on the media Iím working with, Iíll use colors, pictures, textures, words, and other things to help people feel that. Doing so relieves some part of me, and hopefully makes the audience looking at it feel the same as I.
csmith
csmith

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Sep 7 Empty Re: Assignment 1: Reaction to Chris Jordan Video Due Sep 7

Post  VictoriaW Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:29 pm

I feel that Chris Jordanís goal with his art work is to show how artistic he is by using not just Photoshop work or just using photography, but by using actual objects to represent certain things. I also feel that he was trying to show us (America), how many dangerous things are destroying our population. He used things such as, cups, prescription pills, Barbie dolls, etc... To create a bigger picture of what his topic was. He brings up some of the main points of why everyone says such bad things about America. He did explain that the things that he does bring up arenít the most important problems in the world, but they do need to be brought up. He didnít just use his great editing skills or he didnít just use his photography skills, but he used his creative mind. Chris Jordan wants to stress a point to the world about if people keep doing wrong, our world is going to lead into nothing but wrong.

My artistic goal is to make my art work visible to the world. Artistically, I feel that I have a lot more ideas in my head, but I donít really bring them out as much. Even if I do get a job not relating to the arts, I know I can still show how artistic I am during my free time. One of my other goals is to make pieces that I have to describe to a group of people and not just have them look at it and lose complete interest in it. I want someone to think, ďWhat was this girl thinking,Ē or, ďI wonder what her purpose of doing this piece was.Ē I have a goal to not just let my interest in photography and graphic editing be a hobby, but make it my art and something I can look back on and be proud that I continued on with my dream. I love graphics and I want it to someday be a career for me.

Last edited by VictoriaW on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
VictoriaW
VictoriaW

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/babyface.willis?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ranak Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Chris Jordan presented these perspectives of his thoughts on the world and the US mainly about things people just donít think about. He went through showing his creations of art representing concepts through a bunch of phenomenon of epidemics of drug use, breast augmentation, jail (prisoners), cups, and pipes. He went through explaining what has happened with all of these things and showing how its destroying the world itself. He asked what it is to change what has happened. He made me aware of things I wouldnít think of.

In my mind, my art represents a lot of what I go through or witness, even through meditation I want to bring whatís inside my mind and bring it to life. I want to show my aspects from my own view. My thoughts and perspective are shown in my art.
ranak
ranak

Back to top Go down

Post  AlsoKnownAsShelbyK. Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Chris Jordanís work definitely shows that he put a lot of thought into the overall message he was trying to convey to the people viewing his pieces. For a lot of the explanations of the work he gave us a very detailed description on how and why he made what he did. I donít think he was trying to shock us, but he was certainly looking to get us aware of all the waste and excess we have as a society today.

I suppose, as and artist, my overall goal is to make people see and experience what I see and experience. Of course thereís going to be a different perception every time. But I am sure everything I do will be able to translate into something that people understand and will be excited about. Everyone has goals, to have someone look at my work and take it in and understand it, which is the biggest achievement to me.
AlsoKnownAsShelbyK.
AlsoKnownAsShelbyK.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian Pettus Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:35 pm

I believe Chris Jordonís goal is to not influence, but to make people aware of the issues that America faces. In his art work, he uses objects in certain amounts to show the number or percentage of things related to the issue. He hopes his art will cause people to change, not only individually, but as a nation as well.

My goal is to mainly entertain people, whether itís through stand -up comedy, music, animation or graphic design. Even though these are different styles of art, they share the same, exact goal. As long as people enjoy my work, my goal will be accomplished.
Julian Pettus
Julian Pettus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayae Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Upon watching the 11 minute video of Chris Jordanís speech, Iíve come to the idea that he believes there are many wrongs in Americaís society which he clearly displays through his art pieces. Using statistics in your art is admittedly quite clever, especially the way he portrayed them. I believe his main goal in his art is to get people to think about their behaviors, and what they are doing to the world that surrounds them, I donít feel like heís being mean in any way or trying to assert himself but he is trying to open the eyes of people.

In my art I usually always try to incorporate a piece of myself, whether itís an image or symbol. I guess my goal as an artist is to bring out the curiosity of anyone who observes it. I want to make my artwork complex, detailed, and kooky. I want someone to view it multiple times, and each time find something new and interesting. Overall, I want to be able to blow peopleís minds.
afro
Jayae
Jayae

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonya_Kruise Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:40 pm

I believe Chris Jordanís goal was to make whoever was watching the video more aware of what is actually going on, such as the plastic cups we use a day. I thought this video was quite interesting, when I was watching the video what kept going through my head was just how long did each project take him, and what made him to decide to pick projects about what is actually happening in the world? I also thought we were getting more eco friendly, but I guess were not. I just really appreciate that he is aware of it and making art of it. It gets more people aware and makes people want to make a difference. Also, I like the way he put the pieces together. You canít even tell what it is unless you look closely, which is extremely powerful. It puts a bold message across. The reason why you canít tell what it truly is because there is just so much of what he used, like the plastic cups, it looked like pipes. How can there be that many cups to make a huge mural with so many cups. Itís so ridiculous how we use so many cups to where it can look like that. It upsets me how many were in that piece.
Tonya_Kruise
Tonya_Kruise

http://t0nyeezy.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  valerieZ Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:45 pm

I believe Chris Jordanís goal in his artwork is to tell others about the habits and behaviors of people. The things we push onto society, the problems we try and keep away from our own minds, the elephant in the room we choose to ignore. He wants to express these problems in his art, and get the message to others, so that they can know, perhaps even change, these issues amongst us. With the art he creates, such as his piece made completely of plastic cups, he tries to express his thoughts about the number of pollution we put into the earth. The communication of his art to our minds sends us signals, reminds us of the little things we shrug off because theyíre uncomfortable to think about. His art reestablishes the worry we have about our impact on the earth, and gets us thinking about it, about solutions to our impact. The goal in his art is achieved in a wonderful way, and puts us on the path to fix these problems by not letting us forget them.

My goal in my art is to pass on the thoughts, the emotions and views I have, to pass it to my art, and then to others. I want them to understand how I feel, to be able to identify the mutual expressions in which I create my art, within them. I create my art for them to realize the emotions I put into my work, to feel a connection, establish similar feelings, connections with my art and I. The goal I try hard to achieve in each piece of art I create is the connection of communication, similarities, recognition of a related view. I want others to feel what I express, the depression of losing a loved one, the happiness of finding your place in the world, the impact you have on your life and others. I want people to feel and see my views, to understand the comprehension I try to explain within my art.

valerieZ
valerieZ

Back to top Go down

Post  alexfutris Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 pm

The main goal of the artist in my opinion is change. I believe that he uses these statistics to evoke emotion in people to cause a change. Hopefully the people who get to experience his artwork have an epiphany about the things he demonstrated in his work. The social problems he discussed are things I agree with.
As an artist, my goal is to just completely understand myself. Iím not trying to make a statement, all I want to do is completely find myself. In a way, I would like to be like Madonna, to completely reinvent myself and discover myself. I feel like at this point in my life, I donít know who I am yet. All I want is clarity.
alexfutris
alexfutris

Back to top Go down

Post  KalebG Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Chris JordanĎs goal as an artist is to try to show people facts in a more consumable way. He will take, say, thousands of paper cups, representing the number of paper cups we use in a specific period of time. With this, heís hoping to get people to care about the subject matter, believing that large numbers donít have the impact they should have, as they are simply too big for us to imagine.

I do not know exactly what I wish to accomplish with my art. Perhaps just inner happiness? Defiantly not anything as ambitious as Chris Jordanís goal. I do not intend to peruse a career that is heavily art based, though maybe I will, I can never know.
KalebG
KalebG

Back to top Go down

Post  NateF Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 pm

I believe Chris Jordanís art is to help wake Americans. We have been unaware of things that we are doing to ourselves. He wants America to have feelings again because itís like were numb and time is just flying by. We sit aside as a majority when it comes to protesting things that will help us in the long run. Chrisís form of art is very meaningful and very well done. He has a great vision focused on the things that the average person thinks about or even knows.
As an artists id like people to get their feelings back as well. I think we lost it because the direction of our music was lost. If we can bring that back I believe it will also bring back the humanity level we had. I feel we are not free people because we are trained soldiers. As a whole all our lives we have been pushed to places either by family friends or government. So we were molded to be the people we are today. Though we get choices itís a tough road if you donít choose what the person in charge wants you to choose.

NateF

Back to top Go down

Post  melissa. Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 pm

I believe Chris Jordanís goal as an artist is to change the minds of/influence the people who view his work. He feels as though the American people are callous, corrupt, and blind. He hopes that by seeing these pieces as opposed to empty, meaningless statistics, the American people will realize the harm theyíre causing to themselves and society by turning a blind eye to or encouraging things like over consumption and unhealthy disposal of plastic products, unnecessary cosmetic surgery, cigarette smoking, etc.

As and artist, I simply want people to look at my pieces and make their own assumptions and interpretations. I try to convey a certain darkness and surrealism in all of my pieces to pique curiosity and evoke a variety of emotions.
melissa.
melissa.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary.M Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Chris Jordan creates art that makes people think about the things they do that affect our world. He wants people to consider the fact that we are negatively affecting ourselves or our planet without even thinking about it. For example, he created a piece of art out of plastic cups to show how many cups are used by the airlines. He made another piece out of paper cups to make people think about how many cups we are using every day. He created a piece of art out of cigarette wrappers that, from a distance, looks like a skull smoking (like Van Goghís painting). The number of cigarette boxes he used represented the number of people who died from smoking. He creates art in order to make people feel and to better understand the big numbers of things that are happening. He wants us to change our behaviors and makes us consider what is wrong through his art.

I want my art to make people look at things in a different way. Most of my art is surrealism. Most of the art pieces have things that come from my dreams. The art usually has fantastical beings and things that are impossible. My art sometimes has everyday things with a twist of something impossible in it. I try to think of the most abnormal things and put it into my art. I want people, who look at my art, to see things in a more creative way. I want them to see a normal object and see beyond the object itself but see the infinite amount of ideas it could be, like its symbolism of the color, texture, pattern, shape, ect. I want my art to inspire people to have creative ideas not only in their art but in their everyday lives.

Zachary.M
Zachary.M

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonya_Kruise Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:38 pm

My own goal as an artist is to keep up with my art so I can improve, and use my art to get into a college, and that might just come to a job in the future that includes my art. I want to use my art for a lot of things in the future.
Tonya_Kruise
Tonya_Kruise

http://t0nyeezy.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  danielr Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:12 pm

In Chris Jordanís art that I saw in the video, I believe his goal as an artist is to be able to convey the scale of the measurements of recent distasteful cultural trends (wastefulness, addiction, etc.) in a way more relatable than numbers. This way he can help others understand the enormity of this, and inspire change. I also think that through this art, Chris can express his frustration with these issues, but display it in a way that's simple enough to understand for everybody. I thought the best piece was the one created with the image of a plastic cup. As he explained, it looked different from multiple perspectives. As you got very close to it, you could see that this interesting piece of art was made from plastic cups, which was reflecting this ludicrous stat of wastefulness, which made the piece more than just a bunch of cups.

The goal I'm trying to work towards most is to be able to have enough skill to work in video game design, but from more angles than just as an artist. I'm hoping this is just a large step in being able to have enough knowledge to successfully be creative enough while still knowing the fundamentals of artistic design, color theory, etc. so I'm able to do well in what I love.
danielr
danielr

https://www.youtube.com/atanih23

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 am

All submissions prior to this post have been graded.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://artsacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum